Nero Burning Rom Alternatives

What's the best tool I can use for backing up my DVD movies? Preferrably with some kind of DVD9 -> DVD5 compressor (or deleting extras and stuff to get the movie to fit on a DVD5 uncompressed). I know DVDShrink and DVDDecrypt can do the job in conjunction, but I'm looking for an 'all in one' solution or an easy 'one or two click' solution all in one program. Anyone know of such an app?

What's the best tool I can use for backing up my DVD movies? Preferrably with some kind of DVD9 -> DVD5 compressor (or deleting extras and stuff to get the movie to fit on a DVD5 uncompressed). I know DVDShrink and DVDDecrypt can do the job in conjunction, but I'm looking for an 'all in one' solution or an easy 'one or two click' solution all in one program. Anyone know of such an app?

Try DVDFab Decrypter

ASHAMPOO is prolly the best option ive seen in comparison to nero.

no bloated software, does what it says on the tin...easy.

uninstalled nero on my box now ive got ashampoo.

I removed Nero from my PC's nearly a year ago. Using Ashampoo Burning Studio 6 (Y) Also installed the Infra Recorder and its a superb program too.

I did it long time back :D

Ashampoo is better and light weight than Nero which is quite bulky.

Here's my (fairly exhaustive) evaluation of burning apps that I looked at as Nero replacements. Since it was for my own use it's pretty terse, no doubt I'll receive flame^H^H^H^H^Hfeedback on some of this. What I was looking for was something that's about what Nero 5 was, but updated a bit. One note on the shorthand I've used, a comment about "OSS user interface problems" is a reference to the unfortunately all-too-common problem of OSS software that the UI is rather un-polished: menu items don't work, dialogs forget their settings, controls are arranged haphazardly and/or reflect the author's choice of how a UI should look rather than the standard Windows look and feel, and so on.

• Ashampoo Burning Studio: $30. CD portion is BurnYa!
  • Ashampoo BurnYa!: $13, Nero Express version of Burning Studio, very basic (tried it, ugh, too basic).
  • AV Burning Studio: $29, very basic (way more than Nero).
  • AVS Disc Creator: Free, like a *very* basic version of Nero (but still better than Ashampoo)
  • Burn4Free: Haphazard OSS/Linux-style interface.
  • burnatonce: Free, abandonware.
  • Burrrn: Audio CDs only.
  • CD Blaster: $25, for CD ripping only.
  • CDBurner XP Pro: Free, early Nero-like, but last version was in 2004, new version under development.
  • CDrtfe: Free, GNU fixer-upper mess.
  • Cduke: $19, somewhat dumbed-down Nero-like interface (tried it, too minimal).
  • CDRWin: NT-era software.
  • ChiliBurner: $30, little information (tried it, ugh, too basic and annoying).
  • CloneCD: $39, for copying CDs only.
  • Complete CD Writer: Bare-bones.
  • Cool CD Burner: $30, little information available (very bare-bones?).
  • DeepBurner: Free, or $24.95 for Pro version. Very Nero-like, (tried it, too basic, e.g.can't set Finalise).
  • Droppix Recorder: $50.
  • Express Burn: US$54.
  • Feurio: 2001 abandonware?
  • Final Burner: Free, but even more spartan than AVS Disc Creator.
  • FireBurner: $33, very little detail on what it actually is (abandonware?).
  • Flaming CD Burner -> Focus All CD Burner: $20, bare-bones (tried it, ugh).
  • Infra Recorder: Free, most Nero-like, but usual OSS user interface glitches.
  • JoyceCD: $25, clean interface but very simple.
  • Magic Burning Studio: $20, (tried it, ugh, too basic).
  • One-click CD/DVD Writer: $39, just a context-menu click-and-write.
  • Oront Burning Kit: $30. This is *the* Nero replacement.
  • Padus DiscJuggler: $40.
  • Perfect CD Burner: Win3.1-era interface.
  • Prassi Ones: $25, (tried it, awkward interface, can't set write speed, verify after write, etc).
  • Power CD Burner: Moribund.
  • Quick CD DVD Burner: $30, OK, somewhat cluttered interface (tried it, can't verify after write, somewhat OSS-style interface). (Cute CD DVD Burner seems to be the same thing).
  • Sateira: US$30, reasonably Nero-like (tried it, can't set burn speed or verify after write).
  • SwiftDisc: $25, (tried it, ugh, horrible water-torture wizard-based interface).
  • WriteCDs: $45, Win3.1-era software.

So my conclusion for the best Nero replacement was... Oront Burning Kit, which is what Nero would be now if the bloat explosion hadn't set in around Nero 6.

Well i use the nero old version 6 and i have used Ashampoo too and Ashampoo rocks and i am using it. Never knew about Oront Burning Kit. Will try it sometime

• 2 weeks later...
to those who say nero is bloated, try this one: nero burning rom lite and micro.

download link: here

18. What is Nero Lite?

Nero Lite is an unauthorized product that is not developed, offered, or supported by Nero. Therefore Nero cannot make any claims as to the reliability, security, or stability of this product. In order to protect your PC and files, and to ensure that you experience the full benefits of an all-in-one digital multimedia solution, Nero strongly recommends that you download the latest version of Nero 7 from our website at www.nero.com.

http://www.nero.com/nero7/eng/FAQs_TOP_20.html#18

ASHAMPOO is prolly the best option ive seen in comparison to nero.

no bloated software, does what it says on the tin...easy.

uninstalled nero on my box now ive got ashampoo.

Ditto.

• 5 weeks later...

Just installed Ashampoo Burning Studio 6.5 - I got it free with one of my magazines this year. Absolutely rocks, unless Nero cleans up its act and offers something that Ashampoo doesn't have that I actually need, I'm not going back.

Just installed Ashampoo Burning Studio 6.5 - I got it free with one of my magazines this year. Absolutely rocks, unless Nero cleans up its act and offers something that Ashampoo doesn't have that I actually need, I'm not going back.

Ashampoo Burning Studio 7.0 is coming May.8 2007!!

Features at a glance

What?s new:

Video: Burn Video DVDs directly from almost any video files

Modified and Bootable Copies: Add additional files while copying discs, make modified copies of bootable discs

MP3 Ripping: Rip audio CDs directly to MP3 as well as WMA or WAV

Backup and Restore: Choose archive size, restore individual files

Expert Functions: Create bootable discs from boot images, choose file system settings

Other functions:

Burn files and folders to CD/DVD/Blu-Ray and add files and folders to existing discs

Multi-disc file backup and restore on CD/DVD/Blu-Ray with compression and password protection

Create VideoCDs and Super VideoCDs

Rip music from audio CDs to MP3, WMA and WAV files

Create audio CDs from WAV, MP3, FLAC, WMA and Ogg Vorbis files

Create MP3 or WMA CDs, DVDs and Blu-Ray discs or just copy music to CD, DVD or Blu-Ray

Copy CDs, DVDs and Blu-Ray discs

Create and burn disc images for CD, DVD and Blu-Ray

Quickly erase any rewritable media

Store disc images larger than 2GB on FAT32 file systems

Interactive troubleshooting assistant for solving hardware and media problems

Save project files so that you can burn the same discs again later

Integrated support for over 1,700 CD, DVD and Blu-Ray burners

... and much more!

I'm currently using Ashampoo Burning Studio and it's a excellent CD/DVD burning software.

same here been using it for the last few months & find it to be faster then nero

I like CD Burner XP Pro. A new version is (still) in the works.

Hopefully it'll be out sooner rather than later. I have it installed on my XP machines but need it for my Vista machines too. I hate getting useless, crippled OEM software like Roxio that won't let you burn a disc image without buying an upgrade.