Nero Burning Rom Alternatives

• 4 weeks later...

I'm using IMGBurn, works fine. Tried the Ashampoo free version but didn't care much for it, and they do love overflowing your inbox with spam (though to be fair once I opted out they did honor it and stopped sending).

cdrtfejh3.gifCDrtfe

License: Freeware

Screenshot: Here

Size: 2.5 MB

Operating systems: 98/ME/2000/XP

My Rating: Good - Free, open source and based on CDRtools like his young cousin Infra Recorder. CDrtfe has a very clean and pleasant interface along with some great features and the price; and again like his young cousin Infra Recorder will see what the future brings.

The main features

* Data CDs

* Audio CDs (including CD-Plus)

* XCDs (with optional error protection)

* Video CDs

* Audio track extraction (wav, mp3, ogg, flac, userdefined)

* Project files

* Can be used with commandline options

* Windows Explorer integration

* Multi language support

* DVD support: Data and Video DVDs

* Remote drive support via RSCSI

well I just registered in this forum to say that I personally downloaded and tried CDrtfe 1.3 and clearly it's interface says that isnt capable of building/burning Data DVDs, it can burn Video DVDs though

infrarecorderqu0.gifInfra Recorder

License: Freeware

Screenshot: Here

Size: 1.37 MB

Operating systems: 98/ME/2000/XP/Vista

My Rating: Good - The price is awesome (free), Infra Recorder is made by the same author of TUGzip and is based on CDRtools technology. This new piece of software promises a lot so ''What will tomorrow be like?'' :woot:

The main features

* Create custom data, audio and mixed-mode projects and record them to physical discs as well as disc images.

* Blank (erase) rewritable discs using four different methods.

* Record disc images.

* Fixate discs (write lead-out information to prevent further data from beeing added to the disc).

* Scan the SCSI/IDE bus for devices and collect information about their capabilities.

* Create disc copies, on the fly and using a temporary disc image.

* Import session data from multi-session discs and add more sessions to them.

* Display disc information.

* Save audio and data tracks to files (.wav and .iso).

I downloaded and tried InfraRecorder version 0.44.1.0 and it failed miserably to build and burn a Data DVD, It said something about a too long filepath for the source files....

I tried ImgBurn and was able to burn sucessfully a DataDVD flawlessly, but looks like ImgBurn doesn't supports multi-session recording

well I just registered in this forum to say that I personally downloaded and tried CDrtfe 1.3 and clearly it's interface says that isnt capable of building/burning Data DVDs, it can burn Video DVDs though

I downloaded and tried InfraRecorder version 0.44.1.0 and it failed miserably to build and burn a Data DVD, It said something about a too long filepath for the source files....

I tried ImgBurn and was able to burn sucessfully a DataDVD flawlessly, but looks like ImgBurn doesn't supports multi-session recording

Of course that support multisessions, Do you have the last version??

• 2 weeks later...
Ok so what would be the best freeware tole now? That can burn AUDIO cd's :p

Not CDBurnerXP :)

Already thx :)

I'm using Burrrn. Quite a reliable piece of software for burning audio cds.

I've been using InfraRecorder for a while, and UltraISO, while being a commercial app, is pretty solid too.

on an aside, how many people are sticking with vista and not reverting back to XP?

Vista Ultimate Edition is my main at present, largely due to the inherent language support which XP is not able to match. I still have XP and Server 2K3 as dual boot. Vista UE has the ability to change language settings per user to the degree that it is like you are using a different language version of the OS. Neither XP nor 2K3 are able to do this.

I tried Ashampoo but it seemed to crash when burning so i decided to use use Nero Lite. Might try the free Ashampoo though to see if the crashing is fixed.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you all for this thread. =D CDBurnerXP is so much nicer then the new Nero.

• 3 weeks later...

I find the best combination is:

DVD Shrink (Open, analyze, compress and rip)

DVD Decrypter (rip and burn)

RipIt4me (1clickgo program for the above)

• 4 weeks later...

The newest version of Power2Go (v.6) from Cyberlink is tremendous. It supports a two pane view like most burners (except Nero !!?) for drag'n'dropping, has a great GUI, it's very easy to use and has all the features someone would ever need for everyday tasks... Is this not enough for you?! Please add it to the list as it would make the best nero alternative... Wait, did I say alternative? Power2Go is much better than any version of nero to date!