Nero Burning Rom Alternatives

I was looking for a replacement that works on Vista, that also can do recode (like Nero's Recode). I only found two instances of the word "recode" in this entire thread, and Ashampoo looks like it's the only one that does this. But, the person said they've had too many tea coasters....so, I guess I'm stuck with Nero for now.

• 2 months later...

Starburn-

StarBurn CD/DVD/Blu-Ray/HD-DVD recording and mastering application

Key Features:

All MMC (Multi-Media Command Set) compatible CD/DVD/Blu-Ray/HD-DVD burning hardware is supported. StarBurn deals with devices in a "generic" mode meaning you don't need to get an updated version of our software to support a brand new burner.

CD-R/RW, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, BD-R/RE, HD-DVD-R/RW and DVD-RAM media supported. Including modern high-capacity double layer DVD+R and dual layer DVD-R.

UDF (Universal Disc Format) file system mastering (UDF 1.02, 1.50 and 2.01). Files larger then 2 GB and with names up to 2048 characters long can now be stored on optical media. You don't need to use third-party tools to split your huge database backups or rename long file names before burning them.

ISO9660 file system mastering (including Joliet Unicode extensions). The most compatible file system virtually any machine can read.

Bridge file system (ISO9660/UDF for DVD-Video creation) mastering. StarBurn creates bridge file system which is DVD-Video compatible. This media can be read with both stand-alone DVD players and ancient Windows 95 and DOS machines.

Session import (appending already created CD/DVD/Blu-Ray/HD-DVD media). In this mode you can use the same media for sequential recording daily. New data will perfectly co-exist with previously recorded data. The only limitation is the physical media capacity.

DVD-Video main sequence (movie) extraction. StarBurn can re-master the DVD and extract only the movie. This allows you to include just the movie content and without the trailers and advertising from the original DVD. Unwanted video won't be copied, the main movie sequence will be extracted and stored on your hard disk or directly recorded to optical media on-the-fly.

Audio content processing. StarBurn can store audio tracks as WAV (uncompressed) and WMA (compressed Windows Media Audio) files. You can create extra copies of your audio CD collection and listen directly from your PC hard disk. Or you can load compressed audio into portable player or car audio. StarBurn also is capable of burning WAV and WMA files back to create re-mastered audio CDs. So if you have an old CD-player or car audio that can't play MP3/WMA compressed data you can create an ordinary audio CD from files stored on your hard disk. StarBurn is capable of processing or compressed audio streams on-the-fly. This means it can burn an audio CD from MP3/WMA files without de-compressing them and storing an intermediate copy on your hard disk. This is MUCH faster then doing everything in two steps: first decoding and then actual burning.

Track-At-Once (TAO) and Disc-At-Once (DAO) (RAW) recording modes. In TAO everything is handled by the drive, application just passes 2048 bytes/sector streams (data) or 2352 bytes/sector streams (audio). With DAO application creates a raw virtual CD image and writes with 2448 (DAO96) or 2368 (DAO16) bytes/sector streams. TAO is the most compatible mode and preferred for data (the only mode to create multisession CDs) and DAO allows ou to create gap-less audio CD, add CD-Text and CD+G information and some additional features.

DVD-Video authoring code (make own movie from a set of the VOB files). When working in this mode you can save some VOBs from other DVD-Video compilations or get custom VOBs a third-party DVD authoring tool had created.

El Torito (bootable CD/DVD/Blu-Ray/HD-DVD). With this feature it's trivial to create custom recovery optical media. Use CD/DVD/Blu-Ray/HD-DVD as a very big floppy boot disk.

DVD9 → 2 DVD-R(+R) convertion. In this mode StarBurn will backup dual layer stamped DVD9 DVD-Video disc into a pair of two DVD single layer recordables. These days a pair of two single layer recordable discs is still cheaper then single double/dual layer recordable. StarBurn will allow you to save quite a lot when making backup of you home DVD-Video collection.

StarBurn is compatible with 32-bit and 64-bit Microsoft Windows 2000/XP/2003 and Vista/Longhorn.

Its freeware

http://www.rocketdivision.com/starburn.html

Worth adding to your list.

• 5 weeks later...

I still use Nero 7 Ultra, just always was told to use it back in the day, and got used to it, and its name I guess.

I was told about CDBurnerXP, but dont got the heart to leave Nero, but hate it at the same time.

It's complicated lol

pple mention cdburnerxp, but its crap. the thing that makes nero awesome, is it has some unique extra features, too many for me to mention. advanced features you can say. cdburnerxp and others, are meant for the common folk, who dont know crap about advanced features. i like having options.

so if anyone knows an alternative to nero(which i think is bloated), with advanced features, lemme know.

• 2 weeks later...
I still use Nero 7 Ultra, just always was told to use it back in the day, and got used to it, and its name I guess.

I was told about CDBurnerXP, but dont got the heart to leave Nero, but hate it at the same time.

It's complicated lol

LOOOOL. Same here. :(

P.S. ImgBurn is really good alternative. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

the way i see it is... IMGBurn for DATA discs and Burrrn for burning Audio discs.

both are free and load up very fast ;)

p.s. only drawbacks with imgburn is you cant rename files through the imgburn program itself and it's general interface (although nice) aint really setup well for burning files to cd's/dvd's.. but it does work well though if all your going to do is add a few files or folders and then burn the disc.

so if you cant overlook the flaws with general burning of files with imgburn (or just want a 1 program does everything) then odds are you might want something like ashampoo (but it aint free) or maybe something like CDBurnerXP (altough free, i heard it still needs some bugs to be iron'ed out)

• 4 weeks later...
any of these programs(freeware) support buring of video_ts folders??

thats really the only thing i use Nero for anymore...

yes, Ashampoo? Burning Studio 7 (7.10, 07/20/2007)> will do that for you.

You can also burn standard DVD files (VIDEO_TS folders containing .VOB, .IFO and .BUP files) – for example for making backups of existing DVDs or for burning DVD files generated with a different authoring program.>

http://www2.ashampoo.com/webcache/html/1/p...ct_2_1110__.htm

ps. I am dumping NERO for the first time and choosingAshampoo? Burning Studio 7 (7.10, 07/20/2007)b:D:D

• 2 weeks later...

seems like the only one affordable and ready for Vista is InfraRecorder. too bad this one pumps up my CPU to 100% when burning something.

Trying BurnAware Free out at the moment and looks like it has potential.

The author is also very fast in fixing any bugs. http://www.glorylogic.com/

Tried burn aware and its pathetic , wasted my dvd.

CDburnerXP is the best freeware out there.

sshot1ai4wh3.png

Screenshot of my successful cdburnerxp dvd burn.

Edited by Quad Master

Here's my (fairly exhaustive) evaluation of burning apps that I looked at as Nero replacements.

[...]

• CDBurner XP Pro: Free, early Nero-like, but last version was in 2004, new version under development.

Since then it's finally been updated, and is now at version 4.0.x. It's actually rather nice, and definitely gets my vote as a good Nero replacement (the price is right too :-). So for people looking for a Nero replacement I'd definitely go back and give CDBurnerXP another go.

• 1 month later...

too bad cdburner xp pro runs something on the background even if you dont need it.. maybe it's the .net framework..

imgburn, infrarecorder and cdrtfe makes me coasters..

burnaware free can't make udf version.. no 4gb and above dvd?

can deepburner free make dvd videos?

good thread. i just switched to ashampoo myself. it's funny how back in the day, roxio was small, then roxio got big, so everybody switched to nero, and then nero got big...so everybody is switching again.

Since then it's finally been updated, and is now at version 4.0.x. It's actually rather nice, and definitely gets my vote as a good Nero replacement (the price is right too :-). So for people looking for a Nero replacement I'd definitely go back and give CDBurnerXP another go.

I'm going to revise my opinion of CDBurner XP (sigh). It worked exactly once, the first time I tried it. Subsequently it crashes (with a .NET exception) trying to read its own config file, and after removing the config file trying to create a new compilation by dragging across a single file causes it to hang. The only way to get out is to terminate it with Task Manager.

Back to Oront Burning Kit, sigh.