Nero Burning Rom Alternatives

I've used deep burner for a long time. I just need a QUICK, simple interface that does not have a lot of fancy

crap in it. DB is simple.

I'm confused... When I install Nero 7, I can merely do a custom install and remove everything other than Nero Burning ROM if I want... That brings the size down from 1.9 GB to about 100 MB or so... What's wrong with that?

I'm confused... When I install Nero 7, I can merely do a custom install and remove everything other than Nero Burning ROM if I want... That brings the size down from 1.9 GB to about 100 MB or so... What's wrong with that?

Thats the only way I'd use Nero IMO.

"Nero Burning Rom" is excellent, but it's all the other stuff that really get Nero the bad name it has atm with some people.

If I used Nero, which I don't.. It'd cost about ?50, and I'd only install the Burning Rom, which is stupidly expensive.

If Ahead were to sell a "Nero Suite" which includes everything for ?50, but gave people the option to purchase just the Burning Rom for say ?19.99, then I think that'd be pretty popular.

The problem is that its becoming bloatware..its packed with a bunch of useless stuff that most people dont use. I dont wanna download a 170mb installation file just so I can install nero burning rom..

Why go through all the trouble to extract all the junk (when starting the installer) and then go through the setup and remove all the junk from installation and re download updates that are nearly 200MB when I can just download 10MB Ashampoo Burning studio and install it by clicking next fast and then finish and bam ashampoo is installed and doesn't take a big chank of memory and hard drive usage. Updates are also about the same size as the old version.

Without hesitation, I would recommend Droppix Recorder v2 (see here).

A French software (but available in English as well). Fast, with many features (image files and so on), reliable, user-friendly, low memory/cpu usage. Not a mammoth like Nero.

I tried many apps out (Ashampoo, Nero, DeepBurner etc.) and to me, Droppix Recorder is by far the best solution.

Cheers,

Imothep

Ive used a piece of software called "Cheetah" for burning CD's and DVD's in the past, was getting fed up of Nero freezing so searched for a new one and came across that.

Its pretty good and easy to use. Give it a go.

Ashampoo Burning Studio 7.01: Fast, not a system hog, fully Vista compatible and just plain pretty to look at (eye candy). Plus they throw in the slightly older but just as effective version 6 for free.

Ok, 13 pages is a bit long, so I might have read accross it, but when I started using ImgBurn a couple of months ago and haven't needed anything else since then.

It can easily burn clonecd's, video dvd's, normal iso's (and a couple of things more).

Check out www.imgburn.com and no, I am not in any way affiliated with this program, just a huge fan.

Ow...and it's free and works perfectly on Windows Vista ;).

Edit: crap, I just saw that it was already posted a couple of posts ago.. darn ;).

Agreed Nero's download size from v6.0 (which was a lovely 30Mb) is now ridiculous but aHead are well aware of this and you can simply install the bits you want. So really it's no big deal. The Burning ROM is excellent, plugs nicely into DVD Shrink and IMO is the world standard. I've also installed the Cover Designer but the rest (as IMO it's rubbish, Recode is "okay") I've not bothered installing.

I used to use Easy CD Creator but really Nero is the best, and like I said it's the standard.

p.s - And yes if it were possible I'd still be running 6.6 under Vista, bar HD support it's really not much different (v7.8).

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to revive this topic, but I was considering using Droppix, after using Nero for many years. Does that support creating DVDs from avis that were encoded in DivX? Anyone know?

Sorry to revive this topic, but I was considering using Droppix, after using Nero for many years. Does that support creating DVDs from avis that were encoded in DivX? Anyone know?

For that I would suggest ConvertXtoDVD (formerly DiVXtoDVD) I find it invaluable for that kind of thing :)

HTH

There is only one thing that nero is good at. And that is when burning music cds you can have the name of the title show up when the cd is playing in the car or cd player that supports it. I use my mp3 player personally but my wife still loves using cds. If I could find an alternative to do that I would be impressed.

• 4 weeks later...

I really don't get why only a few burning apps support verification. For god's sake, how hard could it be to implement? I'm especially disappointed in open source apps.

Using InfraRecorder here.

As am I on Vista machines. CDBurnerXP Pro on my others. CDBurnerXP definitely needs video-DVD support and Vista compatibility.

ashampoo burning studio works on vista and i believe it supports verification.