Intel iMac running XP!

call me naive... but besides just to do it, whats the point of puttin XP on a Mac? if you really want to use XP, just build a windows box... if you want OSX, just buy a mac... i dont get it... can anyone explain?

call me naive... but besides just to do it, whats the point of puttin XP on a Mac? if you really want to use XP, just build a windows box... if you want OSX, just buy a mac... i dont get it... can anyone explain?
You pretty much answered your own question. If you want Windows, build a PC - if you want OS X, buy a Mac - but what if you want both? You would need to build/buy two different computers, which costs more money and also takes up more space on a desk. Now you can buy a Mac and have both Windows and OS X on one computer, which saves you money and desk space.

Granted, you can't use both at the same time, but I'm sure someone will figure out a way over that hill soon enough.

"call me naive... but besides just to do it, whats the point of puttin XP on a Mac? if you really want to use XP, just build a windows box... if you want OSX, just buy a mac... i dont get it... can anyone explain?"

Why spend the $$ on two seperate machines, and having to switch machines when you can buy a mac, and then a 100$ - 200$ MS OS, all on the same machine, where the switch is only a restart...

hi- this is great news! i loved mac osx, but the lack of applications made me switch back to pc- now i've sold my PC parts on ebay and i'm going to the local apple store to pick up an iMac (with student discount of course ;))

Now my question is- (after looking long and hard for an answer on neowin and google) does xp work with 20" iMacs? if it does i'll get one of those- if not i'll have to get a 17"! Just dont want to get a 17" while in doubt then find out it works, orbuy it then a solution comes out the next day.

Thanks everyone!

oh no! thats just awful. But i'm amazed that they got it working at all! :)

does anyone know how likley it is they'll manage to get it workin on a 20"- i think the 17" imacs are a little 2 small... does anyone have a 17" who can comment on the screen size?

cheers

edit:

Also, in response to some people wondering why you'd want an iMac for windows xp, lets face it- the iMac is the nicest looking computer on the planet, mixed with the built in widescreen and the fact that everything is in one place- if you've got the money, its the perfect option for style, performance and space saving.

iBeech

Edited by iBeech

Also, in response to some people wondering why you'd want an iMac for windows xp, lets face it- the iMac is the nicest looking computer on the planet, mixed with the built in widescreen and the fact that everything is in one place- if you've got the money, its the perfect option for style, performance and space saving.

iBeech

Very true. :yes: and also the ability to have Windows and OSX on one system is very sweet.

iBeech

Very true. :yes: and also the ability to have Windows and OSX on one system is very sweet.

Strange,

All this stuff has happened with the iMac, and i've just had an email through my inbox from apple, advertising the iMac, with a 56pound discount promo code!!!

This is unfortunate, as i get student prices from apple store, so i cannot use it!

iBeech

Wow, we need someone to test it to confirm!

Yes I have done, it allows the setup screen to be seen, but the install still will not proceed. Something to do with the partitioning on the 20" as I understand.

Hmm, thats strange, i wouldnt have thought they'd release, or onmac would post about a file designed for the 20" unless it worked? Is there any chance you did something wrong?

There's always that chance yes, but I've been involved in the forum and the irc regarding this, and that updated .efi file contains the correct settings for the 20" iMac's display after the other was found to not work. It still needs some partitioning stuff fixing before it can be used though...

Or not, dont you think microsoft would have shut down the site if the modifications were illegal?

And yet, do you really think narf would dare release illegal files?

Apparently Neowin has to court Apple but they don't care about bothering Microsoft until Microsoft asks them to take links down... I wonder what would happen if the mods were interested in OSX86 instead of XP on Mac? :rolleyes:

Yea, didn't mean it like, that- we all make mistakes. But i see what you mean, that efi is an update for the display. Is there anyone else who's been able to test this file on a 20" iMac?

Cheers all!

Yea, didn't mean it like, that- we all make mistakes. But i see what you mean, that efi is an update for the display. Is there anyone else who's been able to test this file on a 20" iMac?

Cheers all!

Hehe.. :D

I've just tried it again with a fresh download and I'm stuck at the same spot :(

ahhh well. i think i'll wait until mid-next week and see what happens! I may even pop in my local PC world, as they have the 17 and 20" iMacs on display, dont know if they are the intel ones, but it doesnt really matter- i just want a feel for the size.

either way i'll get one. its just WHICH ONE - haha ;)

iBeech