Intel iMac running XP!

some mac freaks asks "why would one run windows on a mac?" and i can agree it sounds crazy. I guess its because people has some favourite applications that they are affraid they are going to miss. But guys, the more that starts using macs, the more apps and games will be developed for os x. just make the switch :-)

If Apple patches it then it means they are actively preventing people from running Windows. They previously said they wouldn't do that.

Wouldn't that be going back on their word?

Gee, because we know how no company ever goes back on there word :rolleyes:

Besides, how much you want to bet if you send you dual booting iMac or MacBookPro to the Apple Store for repairs they will definitely not approve? :whistle:

I just hope there's a way to modify the boot loader images so it uses the same apple logo/colors as the default Mac OS X boot screen. :laugh:

I just hope there's a way to modify the boot loader images so it uses the same apple logo/colors as the default Mac OS X boot screen.

It switches to a grey Windows logo already when you select it.

With the translation layer, I'm interested in seeing if there's any decrease in performance.

Any way someone with it installed already can do some comparisons between XP on a PC and XP on a Mac?

Anyone try this out on the mac mini's?

I am backing up my drive now to try and play with this method later...

Let us know how it works, I have held off getting a Intel mini, but if it works well I will be ordering beginning of the week :p

some mac freaks asks "why would one run windows on a mac?" and i can agree it sounds crazy. I guess its because people has some favourite applications that they are affraid they are going to miss. But guys, the more that starts using macs, the more apps and games will be developed for os x. just make the switch :-)

lol, i don't like the feel of osx as much as win- the reason to have win on mac is to have access to the apps that are apple exclusive- not the other way around (for me, anyways)

Gee, because we know how no company ever goes back on there word :rolleyes:

Besides, how much you want to bet if you send you dual booting iMac or MacBookPro to the Apple Store for repairs they will definitely not approve? :whistle:

Probably wouldnt care about it much if even you buy a mac to just dual boot it or even if you were to erase osx and put windows on it.

They will properly be happy that they sold you a mac.

With the translation layer, I'm interested in seeing if there's any decrease in performance.

Any way someone with it installed already can do some comparisons between XP on a PC and XP on a Mac?

the transition layer is only during boot... BIOS only affect the boot procedures on devices not their actual performance.

I get a kick out of reading through this thread. All the people who claimed fake until they frothed at the mouth all look like a bunch of boobs now hehehe

I'll do better, here's a video :)

Like I said, I hope some one makes a nice skin for it that uses the exact same style as the default for both Windows and Mac OS X. :laugh:

Looks like you can install drivers for almost everything, except for the GFX card...there should be some good x1600 mobile version drivers out there somewhere.

sounds great, but apparently there are driver issues (specifically the graphics driver . aka no games for the moment on xp)

The ATI drivers for Windows won't work?

sounds great, but apparently there are driver issues (specifically the graphics driver . aka no games for the moment on xp)
Looks like you can install drivers for almost everything, except for the GFX card...there should be some good x1600 mobile version drivers out there somewhere.

Like I said a page or two back, Catalysts suport regular x1600s, so see if you can force the driver to install (run the install package so it extracts everything to c:\ati then go into the device manager and update the driver, telling it you want to specify where to find the driver, and point it to the drivers on your HDD, then select the right chip yourself, x1600 or whatever) and see what happens. I don't know how it will react, so only do this if you will be willing to re-install at worst (should be able to remove it in safe mode though, assuming you can figure out when exactly to hit F8 to get into safe mode haha). Anyway, that MAY work, I don't know if it's been tried yet. If it does, then I can patch the ATI catalyst installer for all the mac people to use.

I have to do similar to install the latest catalysts onto my laptop. Running the installer wont detect my chip, so I have to install them manually.

No iMac 20" SUPPORT??? damn so i lost all my work doing the XP CD and that STUFF!!! :(:(:(:(

Dan

P.S: How are experiences so far?? CS:Source Support?? WebCam using iSight?? Speakers and Microphone detected??

Like I said a page or two back, Catalysts suport regular x1600s, so see if you can force the driver to install (run the install package so it extracts everything to c:\ati then go into the device manager and update the driver, telling it you want to specify where to find the driver, and point it to the drivers on your HDD, then select the right chip yourself, x1600 or whatever) and see what happens. I don't know how it will react, so only do this if you will be willing to re-install at worst (should be able to remove it in safe mode though, assuming you can figure out when exactly to hit F8 to get into safe mode haha). Anyway, that MAY work, I don't know if it's been tried yet. If it does, then I can patch the ATI catalyst installer for all the mac people to use.

I have to do similar to install the latest catalysts onto my laptop. Running the installer wont detect my chip, so I have to install them manually.

Okay, scratch all that, apparently it wont be THAT easy. I'm working on figuring this out with some people who have a machine setup now. I'll post as soon as I find out anything.