Intel iMac running XP!

the world would be a better place without Windows, for years i hoped that MS would just scrap it and rewrite the OS from scratch and include an optional compatibility layer for "old" Win32 programs but it never happened and never will

Wow, you must really be out of the loop! What you ask for already happened. It was called Windows NT.

As for why you'd want to scrap such an elegant and robust OS foundation is beyond my comprehension.

But why? :unsure: ..why would you wanna spend a fortune to get a Mac, to just put Windows on it? :wacko:

Wow, you must really be out of the loop! What you ask for already happened. It was called Windows NT.

As for why you'd want to scrap such an elegant and robust OS foundation is beyond my comprehension.

i think they should have went with a UNIX base instead...but i guess it's just because i like it better (even though it all started with DOS and Win3.1)

But why? :unsure: ..why would you wanna spend a fortune to get a Mac, to just put Windows on it? :wacko:

A number of reasons... two of them being, to use Windows applications that do not exist for Mac and to play Windows-based games.

that's the recovery console option. it's always there.

the repair install is on the next screen when you press Enter :p

Not many people know that actually..... ;)

i think they should have went with a UNIX base instead...but i guess it's just because i like it better (even though it all started with DOS and Win3.1)

But why give up all the far-more-modern design afforded by NT? Unix wasn't built for threading, or portability, or for supporting multiple side-by-side APIs.

I could definitely see an argument being made for improving the POSIX/Unix subsystem in Windows. But the underlying architecture in NT is really quite elegant and replacing it with something like BSD would be a step backward, not forward.

But why give up all the far-more-modern design afforded by NT? Unix wasn't built for threading, or portability, or for supporting multiple side-by-side APIs.

Complete garbage! UNIX (Not Unix) has evolved quite nicely to support threading, take a look at Solaris please. Portability, look at NetBSD, this flavor of UNIX supports far more architectures than Windows and is allot more portable. Which came first, GNU/Linux or Windows x64 for EMT64 and AMD64 based CPUs? And of course UNIX sopports "multiple side-by-side APIs", by design in fact, ever wondered why you can run GNOME & KDE on the same machine?

I just bought a MacBook Pro as my first Mac and have to say it's a really impressive piece of kit. However is some talented third party adds the ability to boot Windows natively (just now and then for some gaming and native Windows development) it would really add flexibility which can only be a good thing.

I have no doubt that someone will get XP booting, I just fear that they may have a hard time getting the graphics drivers running but hope springs eternal.

I could definitely see an argument being made for improving the POSIX/Unix subsystem in Windows. But the underlying architecture in NT is really quite elegant and replacing it with something like BSD would be a step backward, not forward.

The NT architecture is alot better than the 9x one but still far behind the UNIX one. Sure it works fine for mom and pop surfing the net but for some people it just doesnt work. I'm a programmer and i hate programming for the mess that windows has created. I have to admit DirectX is really good though. Also i dont see how it would be a step backward, it would be a hard transition (sadly there's people who are still using 16bit apps :x) but it would be worth it in the end. Look at what apple did with BSD. Im sure MS could do just as well if not better

I just bought a MacBook Pro as my first Mac and have to say it's a really impressive piece of kit. However is some talented third party adds the ability to boot Windows natively (just now and then for some gaming and native Windows development) it would really add flexibility which can only be a good thing.

I have no doubt that someone will get XP booting, I just fear that they may have a hard time getting the graphics drivers running but hope springs eternal.

the video card isn't any different than what's available for PC so no need for special drivers

:pinch: Those pictures look pretty fake to me, I would love it if it was true, but it just does not looks real IMO

we'll see, it has to come out before the 30th anyways (thats the end of the contest)

If all of this is real, why can't he take a pic that isn't fuzzy as hell? It isn't hard. It wouldn't take much in terms of screenshots of device manager and all to eliminate doubt as well.

I am very interested to see whether or not this is real. Everything seems like it, but we could just have a good faker.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

It would be exceedingly simple for someone to take a screenshot on a Windows XP machine, transfer it to the iMac, and then simply open it in full-screen mode in iPhoto or something like that. A screenshot proves nothing--let's see a video!