Intel iMac running XP!

i thought it was a hoax at first. hopefully it will work with a macbook as well.

the hardware is the same, just a different form factor. and a smaller HD

I don't know where I'm gonna come up with the scratch to buy an iMac if this proves to really work, but I will somehow.

\haven't owned a mac in almost two years and starting to regret it

http://daemons.net/~clay/index.php/2006/03...-on-intel-macs/

Check that out, it's another guy who wwas working on it. He opened up all his work and code after blanka's code was submitted since it's assumed that their solution will win, now people can check out this guy's code to learn a little more about it, and maybe help out other people who want to work with this.

http://daemons.net/~clay/index.php/2006/03...-on-intel-macs/

Check that out, it's another guy who wwas working on it. He opened up all his work and code after blanka's code was submitted since it's assumed that their solution will win, now people can check out this guy's code to learn a little more about it, and maybe help out other people who want to work with this.

interesting

I don't see why he would fake it, but he could have just got a screenshot of the winXP installer and made it fullscreen :/

Yeah, we've gone over this a thousand times if you keep up with the thread. Also, there is a video now. That would be a lot harder to fake. Just get over it people, it's not fake. He's submitted this solution already. If it was fake the owner of the contest wouldn't have said he's given the code to 9 testers to test.

Also, on a side note following up after my last post, blanka says that the code that that guy posted is "strikingly similar" to his. Of course it lacks one of the most important parts, VGA. Hope to see this money given away by the end of the day :D

:blush: I'm sorry

S'ok, don't mean to snap at you but probably a good half of the posts in this thread are about conspiracy theories on how it's fake.

Still one question tho: Does this actually replace the iMac's default EFI or does it "disappear" and reset to the default the second you unplug the HD?

Kinda missed that.

Still one question tho: Does this actually replace the iMac's default EFI or does it "disappear" and reset to the default the second you unplug the HD?

Kinda missed that.

If I understand your question correctly, this solution is a BIOS emulation layer for EFI. The iMac still runs EFI, that can't be changed without modifying board logic, however once you chose to access a Windows boot option (however that may be, pressing a key most people are saying has been the common method for Macs before, never owned a mac myself), the BIOS emulation layer will run under Windows, basically translating between Windows and the EFI.

The pictures and video looked fake (e.g. bad and crappy) to me, but if he has done it the way the blog post describes it, he has done it. :| :yes:

The pictures and video looked fake (e.g. bad and crappy) to me, but if he has done it the way the blog post describes it, he has done it. :| :yes:

The video looks like bad crappy quality? :s What do you need, 1080p before it looks good enough for you? I'm afraid you might have missed that that's what nearly ALL videos on the internet look like ;) (Actually better than a lot of them)

Ah okay so basically the BIOS compatibility layer isn't loaded until you give the order to boot Windows?

From what I understand, yes. I don't claim to be an expert though, just following this casually. I don't even have, or have plans to have, a machine to run this on anytime soon. If someone knows more then feel free to add it and/or correct me.

The video looks like bad crappy quality? :s What do you need, 1080p before it looks good enough for you? I'm afraid you might have missed that that's what nearly ALL videos on the internet look like ;) (Actually better than a lot of them)

It was mainly the fact was blurry, out of focus, short, cut to hell, jumpy, etc.

And i wish i could watch 1080p video, this system cant even do 720p

From what I understand, yes. I don't claim to be an expert though, just following this casually. I don't even have, or have plans to have, a machine to run this on anytime soon. If someone knows more then feel free to add it and/or correct me.

That's okay, I won't quote you on it. ;)

It was mainly the fact was blurry, out of focus, short, cut to hell, jumpy, etc.

And i wish i could watch 1080p video, this system cant even do 720p

Look, the guy put up a video because people wanted one. It wasn't that blurry and out of focus for a home made video. The majority of it's bluriness is due to using a high compression codec to keep the file size down. That could have easily been nearly 100MB if it was crystal clear. It's also actually quite a nice length documenting all parts of install then bootup. He's not going to make an entire hour long documentary just to hopefully get a few less people to run around crying that it's a fake. It's hardly cut to hell considering it's only cut 3 times, and that's to jump ahead of the boring parts that no one but a few conspiracy theorists want to see. You're asking for too much to get any more than we already did.

Remember, there is a big difference in YOU not being able to tell if it's real, and it being fake. As I said before, the owner of onmac.net has already stated that he has recieved their solution and has given it to testers who are currnetly testing it out. That should put to sleep nearly all question of it being fake. It wouldn't have been given to people to test if there wasn't anything to give to people.

here is a quote from one of the testers.

The solution is confirmed working on the 17in iMac and the MacBook Pro. It needs to be tweaked for the Mac Mini, and the 20in iMac. Once these tweaks are done then it will be released. We want to make sure that there arent 200 messages from angry 20in iMac users who cant get it to work. It will save a lot of time later by verifying it working on all systems now!

I was about to come and post the same thing. That's actually from the owner of the onmac.net website, the guy running the contest. Shouldn't be too long now.

i think they should just release what they have for macbook and 17" imac users and release a "better" version that works on all of them later

Of course you feel that way, you own a Macbook. Think of the people who DON'T have a Mac that's verified to work and how mad they'll be about it, not just yourself.