Official NHL 2005-2006 Playoff Thread

486.gif

The playoffs officially start on Friday April 21, 2006.

The schedule for round 1 of the playoffs can be viewed here and here (including TV schedules).

Here is the breakdown

Round 1

Eastern Conference

1. Ottawa Senators vs. 8. Tampa Bay Lightning [Ott wins 4-1]

2. Carolina Hurricanes vs 7. Montreal Canadiens [Car wins 4-2]

3. New Jersey Devils vs 6. New York Rangers [NJ wins 4-0]

4. Buffalo Sabres vs 5. Philadelphia Flyers [buf wins 4-2]

Western Conference

1. Detroit Red Wings vs 8. Edmonton Oilers [Edm wins 4-2]

2. Dallas Stars vs 7. Colorado Avalanche [Col wins 4-1]

3. Calgary Flames vs 6. Anaheim Mighty Ducks [Ana wins 4-3]

4. Nashville Predators vs 5. San Jose Sharks [sJ wins 4-1]

Round 2

Eastern Conference

1. Ottawa Senators vs. 4. Buffalo Sabres [buf wins 4-1]

2. Carolina Hurricanes vs 3. New Jersey Devils [Car wins 4-1]

Western Conference

5. San Jose Sharks vs 8. Edmonton Oilers [Edm wins 4-2]

6. Anaheim Mighty Ducks vs 7. Colorado Avalanche [Ana wins 4-0]

Round 3

Eastern Conference985.gif

2. car.gif Carolina Hurricanes vs 4. buf.gif Buffalo Sabres [series tied 2-2]

Western Conference 984.gif

6. ana.gif Anaheim Mighty Ducks vs 8. edm.gif Edmonton Oilers [Edm wins 4-1]

Stanley Cup Finals

(Carolina Hurricanes OR Buffalo Sabres) vs edm.gif Edmonton Oilers

Edited by fred666

Eastern Conference:

1. Ottawa Senators v. 8. Tampa Bay Lightning

2. Carolina Hurricanes v. 7. Montreal Canadiens

3. New Jersey Devils v. 6. New York Rangers

4. Buffalo Sabres v. 5. Philedelphia Flyers

No surprises here. Ottawa is terrific, and even without Hasek, will advance. In fact, they are my pick for the Eastern champion. Carolina will do well initially, but will falter eventually. New Jersey is on fire, and Brodeur can carry the team even if they fail offensively. However, I'm picking Buffalo as my underdog. They could be losers in the Eastern final to Ottawa, or even the Eastern candidate.

Western Conference:

1. Detroit Red Wings v. 8. Edmonton Oilers

2. Dallas Stars v. 7. Colorado Avalanche

3. Calgary Flames v. 6. Anaheim Mighty Ducks

4. Nashville Predators v. 5. San Jose Sharks

Detroit and Dallas have been ignored by many, but they have great teams, and I think whoever triumphs between these two will be Stanley Cup champion. Likely Detroit, but Dallas could surprise many. Calgary won't be able to fend off the Ducks, although it will be close, and the loss of Vokoun will cost Nashville. However, Anaheim and San Jose won't make it far.

Calgary and Anaheim is going to be a good one to watch. So is NJ and NYR. I dont think Philly is gonna beat the Sabres. Philly is too slow and the Sabres are too fast. Philly also has some goaltending issues to deal with.

As for the Hurricanes, they're not the same team without Eric Cole. They're still a good team, but with Eric Cole the Canes haven't been the same. Even by adding Recchi and Weight, they don't look as threatening as before. Gerber is also falling down to earth.

Ottawa isn't going too far with Emery in net.

1. Ottawa Senators v. 8. Tampa Bay Lightning - 6 games

2. Carolina Hurricanes v. 7. Montreal Canadiens - 5 games

3. New Jersey Devils v. 6. New York Rangers - 7 games

4. Buffalo Sabres v. 5. Philedelphia Flyers - 7 games

1. Detroit Red Wings v. 8. Edmonton Oilers - 5 games

2. Dallas Stars v. 7. Colorado Avalanche - 6 games

3. Calgary Flames v. 6. Anaheim Mighty Ducks - 6 games

4. Nashville Predators v. 5. San Jose Sharks - 4 games

I would like to see a Wings/Stars conference finals. That would be a great series.

This is the only time of the year that I wish that ESPN would have the broadcast rights to the NHL

Can we get a mod to pin this as the regular season has ended and the playoffs begin tommorow. It's a new campaign for the top 16 teams in their quest for the Stanley Cup.

Yeah it looked like a good match, roloson was playing a very good game last night.

P.s for all you british hockey fans channel 5 is broadcasting nhl matches starting monday :D

Pinned.

i have to admit, i didn't watch 1 entire game this season. and i'm a die hard hockey fan...i can't really explain it. i guess i just still felt bitter about everything. but it's playoff time, and i think my loyalty has just been restored :)

here's to a great stanley cup!

Listenin to the avds-stars match on the internet. 5-2 Colorado oh yeah! :D

New Jersey are also handing New York a good kicking, 5-1 there. Both games are in the 3rd period atm.

I think the Sharks are overrated. They have had recent success, but they won't get too far in the playoffs. Nashville is very underrated, and even with Mason in net they are a powerful team many overlook. I did predict that the Sharks will win this one, probably in 6 or 7, but they will lose in the second round.

Dallas and Buffalo are also underrated, and could be the surprise winners in their respective conferences.

Mason played good and I think he was the deciding factor for Nashville because Cheechoo and Thornton had their chances. Don't forget, an inexperienced SJ team got a lot of penalties and Nashville took advantage by scoring 4 PP goals. The great thing about the playoffs is that teams adjust and I don't expect SJ to make it that easy for Nashville.

NJ makes an example of the Rangers. Unfortunately Jagr sustained an injury :(

A big upset in Carolina tonight!!! Montreal takes it 6-1!!! GO HABS GO!!

BroChaos: Whats wrong with you man! Go put it on OLN NOW! Your team is in overtime with Buffalo!

RJ Umberger got destroyed by an open ice hit. Concussion no doubt with the eyes rolled back and bleeding from the head.

RJ Umberger got destroyed by an open ice hit. Concussion no doubt with the eyes rolled back and bleeding from the head.

I think it's pretty low that they showed that on the big screen again and again...

well, i watched the whole flyers game....my nhl blues are definitely cured :)

too bad we had to lose it in 2ot though...

and man, what a hit. they said it was a clean play...

um had no idea where he was...could barely keep himself up.

That was a big hit on Umberger. He looked like he was in outer space after the hit. It seems his doing okay though and will be bak in the lineup Monday.

As for Philly. I was honestly expecting Buffalo to take it away in 5 games but it looks like Philly has their game faces on. Esche is on his game thats for sure. Loved that "rubberman" save in OT.

Red Wings 2-1 right now... it's a back-and-forth game, though.

Roloson is really keeing Edmonton in this series.

EDIT: Strike that, it's tied 2-2 now. Horrible deflection for Legace.

EDIT 2: Are you kidding me? 3-2 Edmonton now... I'm not typing anymore, I'm bad luck.

They're just playing really good defence right now. Roloson is also getting some pretty big stops. Nothing spectacular, but he's working.

Zetterberg, so close!!!

I love that guy. Constant hard-worker.

This third period just reminded me why I miss hockey.

Naw, i completely missed the TB/Ott game but it looked like a thriller down to the end. I'm surprised St Louis didnt get a star at all with his 2 goals (incl. thge game winner)

Anyways, Ducks up 2-0 in the first on Calgary