Neowin's Official World Cup 2006 Thread

They deserved to win just because of Zidane's stupidity IMO. Zidane not only took the work possible exit out of Football(not soccer), and possibly caused France their worldcups.

Eitherways, I'm glad Italy won this match.

I wonder why zidane did it. I think materazzi told him something, judging from the way he turned round. I dont france deserved to lose cos of one player though.

his last game... when all the cameras were focused on him more than ever before... he had to give a head but >.>

wtf was he thinking?

Zidane was clearly provoked over and over by that guy. Watch the reply after Zidane talks to him about his hand he says something to Zidane, BUT NEVER MAKES EYE CONTACT when hes saying this to zidane this clearly shows it was something stupid and very offensive. Zidane smiles and walks off this point camera follows zidane and we dont know if he said it again or zidane took late offence but he turns around and head buts his chest.

THink about it guys a veteran like Zidane WOULD NEVER do anything stupid like that if there wasnt legit reason for him to do it. The whole world cup he has been cool calm hardly EVER argues with the officials. Definately provoked, just like Tyson when he bit Holyfields ear. The world remembers that Tyson bit his ear off in a mad rage, the other side of the story makes more sense when Holyfield kept on headbutting him opening up a 3 inch cut above his eye and so Tyson retaliated. Same with Zidane the world will remember him as a madman headbutting another player but there are always 2 sides to a story.

Ok can we stop this deserving win BS for Italy because of Zidane? I will repeat what I said before, Italy's players are just as bad. Franky I'm surprised they made it this far. France > Italy PERIOD.

Zidane was clearly provoked over and over by that guy. Watch the reply after Zidane talks to him about his hand he says something to Zidane, BUT NEVER MAKES EYE CONTACT when hes saying this to zidane this clearly shows it was something stupid and very offensive. Zidane smiles and walks off this point camera follows zidane and we dont know if he said it again or zidane took late offence but he turns around and head buts his chest.

THink about it guys a veteran like Zidane WOULD NEVER do anything stupid like that if there wasnt legit reason for him to do it. The whole world cup he has been cool calm hardly EVER argues with the officials. Definately provoked, just like Tyson when he bit Holyfields ear. The world remembers that Tyson bit his ear off in a mad rage, the other side of the story makes more sense when Holyfield kept on headbutting him opening up a 3 inch cut above his eye and so Tyson retaliated. Same with Zidane the world will remember him as a madman headbutting another player but there are always 2 sides to a story.

Well said

Ok can we stop this deserving win BS for Italy because of Zidane? I will repeat what I said before, Italy's players are just as bad. Franky I'm surprised they made it this far. France > Italy PERIOD.

The 2006 World Cup says otherwise.

(Y) (Y) :yes:

You can't give all those excuses about whatever said being "something stupid and very offensive". Sorry, nope - it won't hold up. There is no excuse for physically headbutting someone like that, period. No "you got to understand"'s.

You don't know that Toxicfume for sure...sure he looked bad but there is no reason why the other player did not deserve it yet...

Zidane must have some reason...

I was wondering, is it Zidanne's fault that a great player like Trazegi missed the goal and made the france loose?

Maybe, maybe not but it certainly meant that he didn't get to shoot during the penalty kicks

You don't know that Toxicfume for sure...sure he looked bad but there is no reason why the other player did not deserve it yet...

Zidane must have some reason...

What don't I know for sure? He's playing in a game, there is no excuse for him to headbutt, as simple as that. IF you don't get that than in your view the red card given to him will never be justified.

There is no excuse for physically headbutting someone like that, period. No "you got to understand"'s.

Yeah I bet you'd keep your cool live too if I started making 'certain innuendos' about your mother, perhaps your sister and a little racial slur in the mix.

Easy to judge, hard to understand.

I know the headbutt has no excuse, but without Zidane, France wouldn't be where they are today. I mean, look at the games they've played

France's line up:

Switzerland > South Korea > Togo > Spain > Brazil > Portugal

compared to

Italy's line-up

Ghana > USA (ha)> Czech > Australia (Barely) > Ukraine (First-timers)> Germany

You can't give all those excuses about whatever said being "something stupid and very offensive". Sorry, nope - it won't hold up. There is no excuse for physically headbutting someone like that, period. No "you got to understand"'s.

Ofcourse there is no excuse, but remember you are someone sitting on your armchair, relaxed, watching this match. To you there may be no excuse, put yourself in his shoes for a second its the world cup final, hot as hell, things are not going your teams way, you missed a great goal. I would thing under such circumstances a man, any man, would snap quickly. Stress and pressure can cause someone to do extremely stupid things and it doesnt help if someone offends you, you retaliate.

I never said the red card was bad, it had to be given. But its whats going to become of this great player in the eyes of millions of people. They will definately label him a mad man, the man who lost it for France. Its already happening on this post.

If you watched the replay you'd know that Mazzerati made contact with Malouda's foot, which made one of his legs hit the other, causing him to fall. It was a clear penalty and so was the foul on him in the second half too. They showed the replay for 3 angles, it was an obvious penalty.

This is a World Cup discussion thread, not a World Cup Final discussion thread so I'll discuss and compare what I want, regardless of what you think.

You still lost regardless of what you think :p

What don't I know for sure? He's playing in a game, there is no excuse for him to headbutt, as simple as that. IF you don't get that than in your view the red card given to him will never be justified.

All I am saying is that he did deserve the card howver the act itself might have been deserved to the other player for an act he possibly commited...