Post your workstations

I really don't see the point in having a laptop as a desktop PC, just buy a Desktop PC, they're usually cheaper and better, if you're not going to use it away from the desk then it's just pointless.

I really don't see the point in having a laptop as a desktop PC, just buy a Desktop PC, they're usually cheaper and better, if you're not going to use it away from the desk then it's just pointless.

limited space?

This is my favorite part of Neowin! Here's my workstation(s) in my home office:

Full Enclosure Powering Office/House:

Powers all the workstations in the office/house (except main workstation, that runs off the box between rack and desk) via Windows 2003 Small Business Server with clients running Vista (Except main, it uses XP Pro). Also central storage for all media (music, movies, etc. :: 2 TB) and NAS (2TB).

enclosure.jpg

Primary Workstation:

main.jpg

Secondary Workstation (partner/employee):

secondary.jpg

Last Workstation (last man in):

last.jpg

USB/Media Central:

This is where I dump all my cameras on docks that synch to the main workstation.

media.jpg

Media Center in other room:

No more CD's or DVD's. All stored over Gigabit network on the rack fed to this MCE and Extenders in the bedrooms and man room (AKA garage).

mce.jpg

destination.jpg

mce-rig.jpg

Edited by midosm.com

Aoroxi, good choice on the phones, the 595's rock. I had a pair before I got the 600's :).

I'll post my workstation in a few weeks. Just moving stuff around now, and just added a 32" Viewsonic V3250W HDTV.

Edited by jagwire

Start a few companies, make some money, buy some toys (spending too much money and time tinkering), have to start more companies, make more money, ....

It's a terrible cycle! Just waiting for one of our companies to really hit it so I can play ALL the time!!

Have ideas, send them along.

Here's mine as of September 2006.

workstationpassivehs8.jpg

Workstation in Passive configuration

Left: Iiyama ProLite E435S & Cheap IR Keyboard (not pictured)

Center: Dell 2405FPW & Logitech DiNovo

Right: Dell 1907FP & Logitech S 530

Speakers are Creative iTrigue 2.1's, and a Kenwood Amp for Dolby Surround. Networking handled by a 3Com Office Connect 16plus and a 3Com 802.11G Wireless AP.

workstationactiveka9.jpg

Workstation in Active configuration

Left: Fedora Core 5 - 1.7GHz P-IV, 512MB RAM

Center: Windows XP - 3.0GHz P-IV (775), 512MB RAM

Right: MacOSX - Mac Mini 1.42GHz (PPC), 512MB RAM

Laptop: Windows XP - Thinkpad R51, 1.4GHz Centrino, 512MB RAM

Control for all three systems is usually handled through the Windows machine using Synergy to allow movement of mouse / keyboard seemlessly from one screen to the next.

serverspx0.jpg

Server Station

Left: Gateway (Redhat Linux 9.0 with IPTables) - AMD K6-3 550Mhz, 512MB RAM

Center: Web Server (CentOS 4.3 64-bit (latest stable 2.6 SMP kernel)) - Dell PowerEdge 1425SC, 2.8GHz 64bit Xeon, 512MB RAM

Right: Development Server (Fedora Core 5 running VMWare Server) - 2GHz P-IV, 1GB RAM

Under Desk: Spare rackmount switch, spare printer, 2x UPS', projector, cable etc.

Sorry about the mess in this picture. The servers aren't often managed locally. Will be converted to a rack system with proper patch-management.

Will post some more next month, including some closeups and some of the other workstation.

This is my favorite part of Neowin! Here's my workstation(s) in my home office:

Full Enclosure Powering Office/House:

Powers all the workstations in the office/house (except main workstation, that runs off the box between rack and desk) via Windows 2003 Small Business Server with clients running Vista (Except main, it uses XP Pro). Also central storage for all media (music, movies, etc. :: 2 TB) and NAS (2TB).

Mmmm, rackmount goodness :D

Why do you have 3 servers? :blush: curious! nice workstation :)

You mean me?

The gateway to control access to the Internet

The web-server for web-hosting

The VMWare server for testing purposes.

The web-server and gateway are classed as mission-critical, so can't be used for development work, and segmenting the gateway services from the web services makes the network just that little bit more secure. ^.^ also adds a bit of a failsafe in case one system goes down. I don't loose 'everything' in one go that way.

Nothing has changed really...

IM001487.jpg

Can you guess what's in my cabinet besides Xbox controllers?

IM001488.jpg

TV and Stereo. GREAT for watching movies. Got them Nike's at the bottom.

IM001489.jpg

Printer/Fax and Air Purifier.

IM001490.jpg

BoA poster, right above the TV.

IM001491.jpg

Mariah Carey poster, right above the computer monitor.

IM001492.jpg

Rearranged today, decided to ditch the raised shelf my monitors used to be on so I could put all three of them together and sit closer to them. Underneath the desk are my main workstation (currently running Vista RC1, using the two 19" Dells on the right), my secondary workstation (old Dell P4, connected to the old Dell 20" on the left), and my Linux backup server. Not shown is my server rack containing my main network switch and 1.2 TB Linux file server. Past shots of my workstations are available on my web site.

1_thumb.jpg

2_thumb.jpg

3_thumb.jpg