Apple release new "Get a Mac" ads

being a pc user and watching the apple ads, all i can see are twisted truths and outright lies that are meant to deceive the consumer.

out of the box - implying that a pc cant create a website? make a home movie? without an exhaustive effort to connect the computer together, and that installing drivers takes hours. - all lies.

toche - this one is a bit better. it is true, you can now run windows on a mac aswell as mac osx.

work vs home - don;'t want to bother to go through this load of crud. like a pc is only good for pie charts and spreadsheets.

all in all, the ads are pretty lame.

lol no idea why i read some of the posts here but they are kinda funny.

anyways i luv macs and i luv osx actually im typing this using the pc i built.

only thing i think apple need to change with macs is that they need to throw in a x1900xtxttxtxtx or geforce 7900 in their imacs.

only thing i think apple need to change with macs is that they need to throw in a x1900xtxttxtxtx or geforce 7900 in their imacs.

... about video cards, will the video cards in the Macs work properly under Windows XP when using Boot Camp? In other words, stuff like DirectX works, or does it not?

... about video cards, will the video cards in the Macs work properly under Windows XP when using Boot Camp? In other words, stuff like DirectX works, or does it not?

From my understanding Yes, they do work just fine. I have read people saying they have been running Steam on their Mac playing Half Life 2, so I would imagine things like Direct X would have to work in order to do this. I could be wrong, but this is my assumption.

So I also agree with the text you quoted by Grim Reaper.

I am a cross platform user. I learned on a Mac, so I personally use my Mac for most everything, definitely for work, and more or less for the normal productive side of computing. I use my Mac for everything except gaming. For that, I use a custom built Windows Comp...

So My big, big, BIG beef with Boot Camp is I would without a doubt buy a Mac and get rid of my windows comp, if, and only if, I could indeed get a graphics card that is as powerful as I know it can be. Since I use my Windows comp strictly to game, that is my only true concern.

Right now, Macs just do not really include really good Video Cards, and I personally like to know I have a choice to include one if I so wish... So until they support all Video Cards, I will pass and never use a Mac to boot into Windows, as my Home Network works flawlessly. If the day ever comes that I can game on a Mac with the same performance as an actual Windows comp, then without a doubt I will just switch to solely macs. Until that day, I am perfectly fine owning two separate machines (actually 3 in total, as I own a Dual G4, Powerbook G4, and my Custom Built Windows Comp)

In regards to the commercials, I am not sure why such a big fuss is being made at all. It should be no surprise at all that they are bashing the hell out of MS as...

1) It is called Advertising.

Believe it or not, people actually get paid to make the competitions products look inferior in any and every way possible. Think Coke vs Pepsi, Burger King vs McDonalds, etc. etc.

This is typical marketing.

Nothing less. Nothing more.

2) The majority of the members on here (yes, including myself) are, for lack of a better term, "geeks."

First off, I say this term with nothing but respect. Just as the way Think Geek proclaims it with pride, so do I. So no offense to anyone at all so do not take it that way...

We either already know, or want to know, hence why we are members here, more than the average person when it comes to computers. So of course we see the major flaws in these ads... which leads me to point #3...

3) The "target audience" for these ads are Joe Schmoe, not Tommy Technology.

These ads are clearly aimed at people that know nothing about computers. You know, people like your parents who have 500 detected files when you run a Spyware app on their computer. So the ads themselves are seriously dumbed down for the average Joe, not people that know anything about computers...

4) Lighten Up.

Life is to short to get wound up over commercials.

The commercials are great, it's a shame so many get their panties in a bunch. You'd think the way many attack us that Apple had 55% of the market share.

Pick what you like and use it, plain and simple.

The commercials are great, it's a shame so many get their panties in a bunch. You'd think the way many attack us that Apple had 55% of the market share.

Pick what you like and use it, plain and simple.

thats what ive been saying!!! :o

Being directly related to ads in question have nothing to do with this thread? Now who's blind? :blink:
That's it, I'm done with you - you're clearly ignorant and seem to enjoy ****ing me off. None of these new ads mention anything about Mac's not needing updates for fixes - watch them again. Of course everyone has their own opinion - my opinion is that you're an arse - but now I'm breaking the rules because I'm not allowed to insult other forum members, yet you're ignoring all the flaming. And you still haven't given me any example of how these ads are misleading.

No flaming or off-topic comments you say? I beg to differ;

Thats f***ing stupid, Apple are so lame...
Thats lame.... but will work for all the fools out there who don't know any better.
Name one Windows virus, that is not a worm, in the past year that does not require user intervention.

Besides, Big Threat or Small Threat, a threat is a threat and viruses work the same way in Windows.

Joel[/b]' date='Jun 14 2006, 02:19' post='587602025']Go hug your Mac if you feel unloved.
Yup, for the deli sandwiches. "I'm lovin' it" is still around. Coke is known for the polar bears, "I'd like to buy the world a Coke", etc. MS has those ads that show the MSN butterfly guarding the house.

At least 7-up's tag line had nothing to do with Sprite.

"Crisp and clean, with no caffeine. Ha ha ha."

Check out the 'current desktop' link in his sig for a real laugh. LOL
LOL. I had stuff like that on my XP box back in 2001/2002. It looks like that's objectdock, RKLauncher or mobydock and a Tiger Visual Style.
I heard you have to pay just to watch quick time videos in full screen.
ive tried all three major OSes: Windows, Mac OSX, and Linux. i will have to say that Linux and Windows are the best for me.

get whatever you want.

haha, post of the day :p

apparently yu dont use teh mac MUCH in those 14month, my bros laptop and the g5's at work panic at the drop of a hat. lol

I've had them panic just trying to boot off of a CD, ive NEVER had a PC do that lol

lol. I'm afraid it was forced upon me by my friends. It was alright I guess.

More importantly, the guy is also from Dodgeball! Why couldn't I make the connection!?!? I picked out the guy from anchorman, dane cook, the guy from van wilder, and andy milonakis. :p

John, you are speaking about June sales in the year 2006. What carried Apple over the past two years? :unsure:

It sure wasn't their Macintosh sales :pinch:

Not according to Apple. Apple, in Q4 2005, sold 1.2 million Macs compared to almost 6.5 million iPods. That was a growth of 220% in terms of iPod sales compared to a modest 48% growth rate for their Macintosh.

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2005/oct/11results.html

http://news.com.com/Apple+earnings+top+est..._3-5893289.html

In Q1, 2005, they barely sold 1 million macintosh units compared to 5.5 million iPod's, a 558% increase in iPod sales compared to a modest 43% increase in Macintosh sales.

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2005/apr/13results.html

In Q3, 2005, they sold 1.1 million Macs compared to 6.1 million iPods, also a 616% increase in iPod sales.

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2005/jul/13results.html

iPod clearly has carried Apple over the past 1 1/2 - 2 years.

That's it, I'm done with you - you're clearly ignorant and seem to enjoy ****ing me off. None of these new ads mention anything about Mac's not needing updates for fixes - watch them again. Of course everyone has their own opinion - my opinion is that you're an arse - but now I'm breaking the rules because I'm not allowed to insult other forum members, yet you're ignoring all the flaming. And you still haven't given me any example of how these ads are misleading.

Yes, they do. The OOTB one specifically makes the PC look like a dumb bunny because there are updates to install. What part of that was unclear?

And I gave numerous examples of how the ads are misleading, and so did many other people. Read the thread again.

No flaming or off-topic comments you say? I beg to differ;

LOL, people saying they don't like something is not flaming, and comparing other companies' marketing tactics is EXACTLY related to this thread.

Why hasn't this been locked yet?

Maybe because its not lock worthy? Just because people are bringing out the lies about Apple ads doesn't mean this has gone off-topic and needs to be closed.

No flaming or off-topic comments you say? I beg to differ

<a huge mess of unclosed quote tags>

You may want to fix up your post. All the quote tags have wrecked havoc. :blush:

Though I'm not entirely with Apple 100% on these ads (my opinion remains the same from the first page) I for one would also see this thread being closed. It has gone into a horrible flamefest.

im a PC user who uses Windows, and occasionally Linux (for fun and learning, and also planning on using it as my main OS in the near future). i have also used Mac extensively, and i like it alot. its a really cool OS and it runs on fine hardware. but it just isnt for me... so i use PCs with Windows :)

i think it might be the 3rd or 4th time it has been said.... but just use whatever you want.

Why hasn't this been locked yet?

Nobody else seems brave enough to say the truth but I will say it because I don't care anymore as I'm already at 80%. I can always go elsewhere. It has not been locked because Joel does not want it locked and he is a Super Mod. It's really that simple. Here on Neowin, we have two sets of rules. One for the rest of us and another for mods.

If enough of us don't like it, I guess we could all leave and startup a new site. Mods really should hold themselves up to a little bit higher standard, IMO. Sure they are members too but they also have power we don't have and with that power, comes responsibility. I think mods should stay out of threads like this and just stick to moderating them.

Nobody else seems brave enough to say the truth but I will say it because I don't care anymore as I'm already at 80%. I can always go elsewhere. It has not been locked because Joel does not want it locked and he is a Super Mod. It's really that simple. Here on Neowin, we have two sets of rules. One for the rest of us and another for mods.

But that's simply not true. It's not locked because there's no reason to lock it. Can anyone name a reason this thread should be locked (and back it up; saying it's a flamefest without pointing to anything resembling a flame won't cut it)? The only people asking for this thread to be shut down are Mac fans. There have been a lot of good points raised, and not liking a thread doesn't make it lock-worthy. For the record, I wasn't the only staff member who thought it should stay open.

We've let worse go on in RWI, so Apple making a few ads doesn't really stand up to that level of sheer mayhem.

Yes, they do. The OOTB one specifically makes the PC look like a dumb bunny because there are updates to install. What part of that was unclear?
Script of the OOTB ad:

Mac: hello, I'm a Mac

PC: and I'm a PC

Mac: ready to get started?

PC: no, not quite, I've got a lot to do - what's your big plan?

Mac: I might make a home movie or maybe create a website, try out my built-in camera... I can do it all right out of the box. So what about you?

PC: Well, first I've gotta download those new drivers, then I've got to erase the trial software that came on my hard drive...

Mac: sweet

PC: ...then I've got a lot of manuals to read...

Mac: you know what, it sounds like you have a lot of stuff to do before you do any stuff so I'm just going to get started because I'm kind of excited [jumps out of box] let me know when you're ready

PC: actually, the rest of me is in some other boxes, so I'll meet up with you later...

Where are the updates? As for the drivers, I can relate: I needed to download drivers for my modem when I first got broadband. I still don't see how they're lying.

Where are the updates? As for the drivers, I can relate: I needed to download drivers for my modem when I first got broadband. I still don't see how they're lying.

OK, so I'm lumping new drivers and updates together. A new driver is technically an update, and any new user would consider it such, but I'll concede that we know the difference. How about the points on the getamac website (I've brought up the site before in this thread, so don't think I'm jumping tracks)? It's chock full of FUD nonsense. And the ads point to the site.

How about the points on the getamac website (I've brought up the site before in this thread, so don't think I'm jumping tracks)? It's chock full of FUD nonsense. And the ads point to the site.
Give me some examples.

Connecting a PC to the Internet using factory settings is like leaving your front door wide open with your valuables out on the coffee table.

Not since SP2, which is preinstalled, so that's out of date.

What?s an Intel chip doing inside a Mac? A lot more than it ever did inside a PC.

A lot more what?

Sure, a new PC comes with software. It?s just not software you?d ever want to use. A new Mac, on the other hand, comes with lots of really great stuff. So you can make lots of really great stuff.

iMac open box

Unpack your new PC and you?ll be amazed at what it offers. A bundle of mismatched software and that nagging feeling that your desktop has just been sold to the highest bidder. Of course, it does have that cool calculator. Oh, and a clock. That?ll come in handy when you?re ticking off the hours it takes you to uninstall all the software you don?t want and buy all the software you do.

This is just wrong, in so many ways.

Connecting a PC to the Internet using factory settings is like leaving your front door wide open with your valuables out on the coffee table.
I guess this varies from PC to PC then - A few months back, I did a fresh install of XP (SP2 was part of the CD; it wasn't installed separately) and the first thing I did was open IE to download Firefox. I then used Firefox to download Ad-aware and Spybot, and while downloading updates for Windows and Office, I ran scans with both Ad-aware and Spybot; both gave me 2-3 results each. Of course I was using IE6, because IE7 isn't part of XP yet, and the Windows firewall was turned on, but I still managed to obtain a bit of spyware. Although it's safe once you have Firefox and some anti-malware software installed, from my experience at least, Windows isn't safe on it's own or straight out of the box.
What’s an Intel chip doing inside a Mac? A lot more than it ever did inside a PC.
That's just marketing - on the cover of The Exorsist, it says "the scariest movie ever made" (or something like that) but that doesn't necessarily make it true.
Sure, a new PC comes with software. It’s just not software you’d ever want to use. A new Mac, on the other hand, comes with lots of really great stuff. So you can make lots of really great stuff.

iMac open box

Unpack your new PC and you’ll be amazed at what it offers. A bundle of mismatched software and that nagging feeling that your desktop has just been sold to the highest bidder. Of course, it does have that cool calculator. Oh, and a clock. That’ll come in handy when you’re ticking off the hours it takes you to uninstall all the software you don’t want and buy all the software you do.

Again, this is just marketing - although I'll agree that it's a bit over the top.

for doing homework and working, i'd get a mac or linux box.

but i'd use a PC for everything else, because macs can't do anything but work.

re: Intel?From what I have been reading XP runs better than OSX on an intel mac (barefeats.com and maximum pc testing). Windows is a much more feature rich and refined code imo. ;D

re: Viruses?This is the only reason I use OS X. Sorry to hear XP gets spyware right out of the box, never knew it was that b:(. :(

re: Drivers?Macs are definitely more plug and play friendly, but this is relative because there are much more vendors who provide aftermarket hardware for wintel boxes compared to apple machines.

I wish apple would allow other companies to build hardware or allow OS X to run on non-apple built hardware. In a way that's worse than the Microsoft monopoly. I think this is the reason people 'hate' Apple (smug factor).

Not since SP2, which is preinstalled, so that's out of date.

A lot more what?

This is just wrong, in so many ways.

Well in all fairness, i would never trust the built-in firewall with my rig, and would rather install a seperate package...

But there is one thing what makes XP better imo, the ability to do an unnatennded install that automatically installs all your programs, with registered keys, activates them and you have a computer thats good to go after putting a disc in the drive, coming back in an hour and having windows set-up the way you want with everything installed..

I've dabbled with Mac and all the software they give you is just software you play with for an hour, and get bored, because it has no real use...

Garageband is good fun for music savvy's, but i'd rather listen to it than make it.. The whole blogging software and so called office software is useless as well, as people would rather using Office 2003 for Mac and also suites like Adobe Photoshop..

Its like using wordpad on a pc instead of using Office 2003, it may get the job done, but there are a million better tools available, its just that the Mac bundled software happens to be a bit beefier and has nicer GUI, doesnt mean its any good tho..

Most people have bought mac's since they can dual boot, so i dont see how Mac's are that good, to me anyway..