Apple release new "Get a Mac" ads

Cute, but seriously what's a kernel panic? I've only had my iMac for 14 months and I'm not familiar with those. Is that anything like the BSOD's I don't miss?

[edit]: apparently it is...found the info here

Oh (topic :blush: ) the commercials...love the new commercials

apparently yu dont use teh mac MUCH in those 14month, my bros laptop and the g5's at work panic at the drop of a hat. lol

I've had them panic just trying to boot off of a CD, ive NEVER had a PC do that lol

apparently yu dont use teh mac MUCH in those 14month, my bros laptop and the g5's at work panic at the drop of a hat. lol

I've had them panic just trying to boot off of a CD, ive NEVER had a PC do that lol

2-6 hours every day...not counting time unattended, downloading, recording, burning. Ok I'm getting sucked into the p*ssing war here, that was not my intent. I was serious in my initial question. But I spent 11 years in Windows and know what I prefer now. I'm glad you're happy with it. ;)

I'm in the same boat as John S. I've had my PowerBook for about the same amount of time and never once had a kernel panic. I actually have never once had a single issue with the OS, at all. And I restart or turn off maybe at the most once a month. And I use it on an average of 6-7 hours a day, mostly either surfing or doing aperture and photoshop work. If it isn't that then I am using Final Cut Pro. Seriously, I have yet to encounter any issue with OS X.

Also like John, I used Windows ever since 3.0. From there I used 95, 98, ME, XP Home and Pro as well as XP 64 bit and for a while I was even a MS beta tester (I actually am still registered but I never do any of the betas since I ditched PCs altogether). I built my own PCs etc and while I encountered much less issues with those than retail computers that my parents or friends owned, it was still too much of a hassle for me to put up with.

I bought a PowerBook for a school program I did last summer and since then got rid of my custom built machine, etc. And I have had such tremendous success with my Mac, I have convinced several friends as well as my brother and parents to get them for their next computers. And that was more because of them asking if I had issues as well as them just seeing the lack of trouble with it instead of me advertising it.

So to say that these commercials are filled with lies and just propaganda with no truth, is a very ignorant statement. They may have their issues, but they are a drop in the hat compared to what I was used to on a regular basis in my 10 or so years of PC use.

I never said they were worse, I just stated that Apple doesn't sell many of their computers, hence the advertisements to lure in new customers.

I hope you are not comparing Starbucks and whatever Izzy's is to Apple and Microsoft. It doesn't really make much sense to do so :pinch:

*psst*

Hate to break this to you, but Microsoft sells software, Apple sells hardware. So, your perceptions don't make much sense either. So, if you want to blather on about marketshare, you should stop to consider that, globably, Dell rings in at just over 18% marketshare, and they are in the #1 spot. Every other company falls in line under that percentage. And under that convention, Apple sells more desktop and portable systems on average than both Sony and Acer, and Apple are in fact consistently in the top 10 list for hardware manufacturers.

Do you consider Acer or Sony insignifigant? On the verge of collapse and bankruptcy? Probably not.

Quick question; if you're booting off of the CD, then how exactly is OS X giving you a kernel panic?

You booted off the CD.

Monkeyclaw and John S., just because you two witness no problems with your Mac OS X, doesn't mean others don't experience any problems. That goes to Windows users as well. It's kind of useless for you to say OS X is good because you have no issues when others are not as fortunate. This goes for Windows as well.

My point? If you have no issues, it doesn't mean others don't. OS X can be the best for you, but a nightmare to everyone else.

Back on topic, these commercials are getting old already and its only been a few weeks.

Back on topic, these commercials are getting old already and its only been a few weeks.

No they're not. Just because you think they are getting old doesn't mean that everyone thinks they are getting old. These commercials might be a nightmare to you, but they could be the best to everyone else.

;)

No they're not. Just because you think they are getting old doesn't mean that everyone thinks they are getting old. These commercials might be a nightmare to you, but they could be the best to everyone else.

;)

I never said everyone else thinks its getting old. I was speaking for myself, thank you.

P.S. I can care less about these commercials, to be honest. I just ridicule them when they come on seeing how desperate Apple is :wacko:

I never said everyone else thinks its getting old. I was speaking for myself, thank you.

P.S. I can care less about these commercials, to be honest. I just ridicule them when they come on seeing how desperate Apple is :wacko:

How are they "desperate"? You still confused by the marketshare statistics?

Not quite. Apple is just deperate in terms of trying to reach out to potential customers such as students, hence their back to school campaign. What better way to also reach out to a broader audience than releasing these commercials?

I have lost a lot of respect for apple, because of these ads. These ads are so one sided it is irritating.

Yes all PC's can do is spread sheets and word processors. If you want to have fun, listen to music, watch movies, go buy a MAC because it is impossible to do any fun stuff on a PC :rolleyes:

Well if some people do buy that big load of crap, then it may work out for PC's, because I know a lot of parents who want a computer just so their kids can do their homework and nothing else. So hey if pc's can only do speed sheets and stuff, but no multimedia, I better get a PC for my son/daughter because I don't want them to be playing any games, or watching movies. I just want them to do their homework.....Perfect, thank you apple, you helped me decide to buy a PC for my child. lol

Desperate? Link time again, but I promise no more than a couple this time... ;)

The first two are admittedly Mac sites, but referencing independant sources as their basis for the growth projections.

Analyst Sees Apple Poised for Strong Growth

MacBook, MBP demand still strong

S&P Lifts Apple to Strong Buy

Desperate? Link time again, but I promise no more than a couple this time... ;)

Refer to my last post for what I mean when I say desperate ;)

Not quite. Apple is just deperate in terms of trying to reach out to potential customers such as students, hence their back to school campaign. What better way to also reach out to a broader audience than releasing these commercials?

The back to school campaign has been going on for years now mind you. These ads are trying to dispel the myths surrounding Macs that have been perpetuated by competitors and unfortunately not challenged by Apple over the years. They want more market share so they do what all other companies do, advertise. And what better way to advertised to a misinformed public than to make a campaign that denounces the most common myths surrounding their platform than to make a catchy little campaign. That isn't being desperate, that is being smart ;)

Dude...Apple is *famous* for commercials like this. From the original "1984" commercial, to the flaming bunny men, the PowerMac G5 blowing the dude out of his house...they all worked, and worked well. They got people talking...if nothing more, than enraging tech nerds who were offended at the audacity of Apple. You gotta remember, they are advertising a product. Think about how much word-of-mouth advertising is generated just by Wintendo fanboys frothing at the mouth across the internet over Apple "lying" to people. "But what about the GAMES! They never mention the GAMES!! *snort snort*".

It boils down to this;

People that don't know better (eg: people that don't spend all day and night posting on tech forums like this) probably experience exactly what those ads describe.

People that *do* know better (and actually care beyond simply finding them funny and going on with their lives) will be ****ed off and squawking about it to everyone that will listen. More free advertisement.

Then you factor in all the Apple faithful, who will just buy a Mac reguardless.

Win-win situation for Apple. This thread? Free advertising. Your posts? Free advertising. :whistle:

Edited by phantasmorph

That isn't being desperate, that is being smart ;)

Well, first off, if they were smart, they would have done this when they actually had a chance to make a difference. They wait all these years and are now trying to make up for their lack of advertisements in previous years. Thank goodness for the iPod. Without that "invention", or lack there of, Apple would have been in deep waters right now.

Dude...Apple is *famous* for commercials like this. From the original "1984" commercial, to the flaming bunny men, the PowerMac G5 blowing the dude out of his house...they all worked, and worked well. They got people talking...if nothing more, than enraging tech nerds who were offended at the audacity of Apple. You gotta remember, they are advertising a product. Think about how much word-of-mouth advertising is generated just by Wintendo fanboys frothing at the mouth across the internet over Apple "lying" to people.

It boils down to this;

People that don't know better (eg: people that don't spend all day and night posting on tech forums like this) probably experience exactly what those ads describe.

People that *do* know better will be ****ed off and squawking about it to everyone that will listen. More free advertisement.

Win-win situation for Apple. This thread? Free advertising. Your posts? Free advertising. :whistle:

Nicely put (Y)

Edit: Nevermind, lol.

But yea, basically Apple's lull isn't due to the success of the iPod, it was that OS X was a piece back in the day. Though technologically speaking it was and still is leaps and bounds ahead of Windows, it wasn't nearly as stable enough nor compatible enough to support a massive market share. I bet if it weren't for the small market share, OS X probably wouldn't have been released at the stage it was. But now that it is more or less solid as a rock, Apple isn't afraid to advertise and try to draw in a larger market share.

^YES!!! I'm not the only one that has seen that movie, lol.

lol. I'm afraid it was forced upon me by my friends. It was alright I guess.

More importantly, the guy is also from Dodgeball! Why couldn't I make the connection!?!? I picked out the guy from anchorman, dane cook, the guy from van wilder, and andy milonakis. :p

<snip>

Thank goodness for the iPod. Without that "invention", or lack there of, Apple would have been in deep waters right now.

From my first link above

Macintosh sales for the June quarter are expected to be strong, accounting for about 50 percent of the Apple's revenue, and making up for any drop in iPod sales.

iPod sales have helped, but they're not carrying the company.

Mr. Wu predicts that iPod sales will be slightly lower for the quarter, and will account for about 37 percent of Apple's revenue.

John, you are speaking about June sales in the year 2006. What carried Apple over the past two years? :unsure:

It sure wasn't their Macintosh sales :pinch:

^Actually it was. Despite a small market share, Apple makes much more money off of Mac sales than iTMS or iPod sales. Also the fact that they came out of debt helped a lot, so that basically any profit made was direct profit, not something helping to pay off existing debt.

Not according to Apple. Apple, in Q4 2005, sold 1.2 million Macs compared to almost 6.5 million iPods. That was a growth of 220% in terms of iPod sales compared to a modest 48% growth rate for their Macintosh.

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2005/oct/11results.html

http://news.com.com/Apple+earnings+top+est..._3-5893289.html

In Q1, 2005, they barely sold 1 million macintosh units compared to 5.5 million iPod's, a 558% increase in iPod sales compared to a modest 43% increase in Macintosh sales.

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2005/apr/13results.html

In Q3, 2005, they sold 1.1 million Macs compared to 6.1 million iPods, also a 616% increase in iPod sales.

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2005/jul/13results.html

iPod clearly has carried Apple over the past 1 1/2 - 2 years.

Yup, for the deli sandwiches. "I'm lovin' it" is still around. Coke is known for the polar bears, "I'd like to buy the world a Coke", etc. MS has those ads that show the MSN butterfly guarding the house.

At least 7-up's tag line had nothing to do with Sprite.

"Crisp and clean, with no caffeine. Ha ha ha."

Deli sandwhichs go multiple ways:

Subway: Eat fresh!

Queznos: mmmmmmmm. tosty. ( with baby bob )

as for the i'm lovin it - thats Mc donalds . they dont sell delli sandwhichs.

unless you know something we dont know :huh:

Deli sandwhichs go multiple ways:

Subway: Eat fresh!

Queznos: mmmmmmmm. tosty. ( with baby bob )

as for the i'm lovin it - thats Mc donalds . they dont sell delli sandwhichs.

unless you know something we dont know :huh:

And...wow. This forum is screaming for a spellcheck.

Not according to Apple. Apple, in Q4 2005, sold 1.2 million Macs compared to almost 6.5 million iPods. That was a growth of 220% in terms of iPod sales compared to a modest 48% growth rate for their Macintosh.

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2005/oct/11results.html

http://news.com.com/Apple+earnings+top+est..._3-5893289.html

In Q1, 2005, they barely sold 1 million macintosh units compared to 5.5 million iPod's, a 558% increase in iPod sales compared to a modest 43% increase in Macintosh sales.

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2005/apr/13results.html

In Q3, 2005, they sold 1.1 million Macs compared to 6.1 million iPods, also a 616% increase in iPod sales.

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2005/jul/13results.html

iPod clearly has carried Apple over the past 1 1/2 - 2 years.

Very true but when you make more of a profit margin on a product that costs more, then you will make more money off that one even when selling less. I do not have exact figures, I'm sorry, I am bout to go to bed, but tomorrow I will look for the article that spoke about this. Basically, Macs have a larger profit margin than an iPod and obviously Macs cost more than iPods. That is the principle and tomorrow I will find the article that has all of the statistics. Mind you that this maybe false now but since the introduction of the iPod until the print of this article, Mac sales produced more profit for Apple than iPod sales despite more iPods being sold.