Zizou Provoked by Serious Taunt?

Zinedine Zidane's agent claims that the France captain was provoked into headbutting Marco Materazzi during the World Cup final by a "very serious" comment.

The pair held a lengthy dialogue during the closing stages of Sunday's match before Zidane felled the Italian defender with an extraordinary head-butt.

"He told me Materazzi said something very serious to him but he wouldn't tell me what," agent Alain Migliaccio told BBC Radio Five Live.

"Zinedine didn't want to talk about it but he will talk about it in the next couple of days," he continued.

"He is a man who normally lets things wash over him but on Sunday night something exploded inside him.

"He was very disappointed and sad. He didn't want it to end this way."

Neither Materazzi nor Zidane have spoken publicly since the final. According to French newspaper L'Equipe, Materazzi goaded the Algerian-French Zidane by calling him "a terrorist". Other reports have claimed that the former Everton defender told the France captain - born in Marseille, but of Algerian heritage - "you should play for your own country".

Source: http://www.worldcup365.com/story/0,16726,8...1325646,00.html

That is not a reason. He is supposed to be a leader. A leader must have a leveled head.

If someone would **** me off like that, and hit me personally. I would've kicked ass. Hard.

There are certain borders that shouldn't be passed. And when that happens, something can explode. And everybody is vulnerable for that.

Materazzi was very wrong for provoking Zidane. That's not fairplay, it's just a dirty way of looking for a fight.

That is not a reason. He is supposed to be a leader. A leader must have a leveled head.

yeah, ok... so he's suppose to not react to racist insult by this fascist Italian, right? No wonder why Italian clubs are in deep **** for paying referee and cheating in their own country (check the controversy that's raging now in Italy). Now the Italian brought their frustration and problems to the world cup.

I'm not saying what Zidane did was ok in any way, but if this is how soccer is going to be played in the future by having cheaters and corrupted people winning world cups, i'm not too sure about the future of the sport as it is now

that's true but it all depends on what Materazzi told to Zidane.

I really don't think that Zidane did that just because a low rated provocation... we will have to wait to see both declarations.

Guys, some news sources say he was called "Dirty Terrorist", and I know how he feels. I am a muslim and I do get called sometimes that when someone knows my background, even though I may not sound like one or look like one of them so called "Islamic Terrorists" and it really angers me how I can't explain it to these idiots that those "Terrorists" don't represent me and my religion.

Ziddane has had enough of Materazzi too, the ###### is known for his dirty play, go look at some videos on YouTube.

What you say is true, but if every leader in the world was level headed ALL the time and was not humanly fallible, what a place this world would be to live and play sport in! Shangri-La here we come!! ;)

On the BBC 10 oclock news just now they had a lip reader interpret what Materzaai said. They reckon he said 'I wish and ugly death to you and your family' and on the same day Zidane found out his mother was ill :(

Man! :angry: that's not a right thing to tell to anyone... if this is true Materazzi has no respect for the game and his fellow players. :no: :no: :crazy:

In the 10pm BBC News today, they got an italian lip reader to try and figure out what was said, apparently Materazzi insulted Zidane's family, i can't remember the exact words but it was pretty harsh, the thing was Zidane's mother was admitted to a hospital earlier that day and was said to be in critical condition and he had only found out prior to the match.

PS. The comment went something along the lines of "i wish you and your family a horrible death", i can't remember the words exactly.

^

According to an Italian lip-reader employed by BBC TV News on 10 July 2006, Materazzi wished Zidane "an ugly death to you and your family" (on the day Zidane learnt that his mother was seriously ill), and told him to "go f*** yourself."

Materazzi should be fired for saying something like that so Zidane. With Zidane's mother being sick and all, that hits hard. If my mother was very sick, and I was in the middle of a competitive sport, I would of done worse than headbutt him, that's for sure. I think I would of gone for the ole' stomp to the nuts.

Do you really think that the italian team knew about his mother being in hospital?

I think he should have kept calm

I would hit the guy really hard but then again I'm not a professional soccer player and I'm not the capitain of my country's team

Domenech went further than that, suggesting that Materazzi, not Italian playmaker Andrea Pirlo, deserved to be named man of the match. And he might have a point. Materazzi has a well-earned reputation as nasty player in Italy's tough Serie A, and his role in the ugly drama was nowhere near as surprising as Zidane's.

He was suspended for two months in 2004 after punching an opponent and conceded earlier in the tournament, "I can't tell you how many times my kids have been told at school that I'm a monster."

"You make mistakes in life," Materazzi added. "But then you have to purify yourself, without seeking revenge. Everyone has their destiny."

src: http://edition.cnn.com/2006/SPORT/football...e.ap/index.html

Well maybe the italians didn't know that... but that's not an excuse to say those harsh words to anyone.

I'm with Zidane in this one.

Well maybe the italians didn't know that... but that's not an excuse to say those harsh words to anyone.

I'm with Zidane in this one.

Agreed

No words are ever an excuse for acts of violence in a game of football. Zidane should be ashamed, he knew the comments were to wind him up and he took the bate, hook, line and sinker. I wouldn't be surprised if Zidane was used to these comments after playing for Juventus, I bet hes said things to other players before to rile them too.

Edited by ziadoz

The guy deserved more than he got, it's pretty poor that he stayed on the field. Did the referees think Zidane would just headbut him for no reason? O_o

And there comes a time where a guy has enough and has to step up and end it. Zidane did that. While it screwed his team over, I respect the guy for leveling the prick like he did. In sport, your level of play should do all the talking. Keep your damn mouth shut and show respect for your opponents.

yeah, ok... so he's suppose to not react to racist insult by this fascist Italian, right? No wonder why Italian clubs are in deep **** for paying referee and cheating in their own country (check the controversy that's raging now in Italy). Now the Italian brought their frustration and problems to the world cup.

I'm not saying what Zidane did was ok in any way, but if this is how soccer is going to be played in the future by having cheaters and corrupted people winning world cups, i'm not too sure about the future of the sport as it is now

Yeah...The Italian Fascist insulted the French Comunist...Man that was like...let me see more than 60 years ago? Is like saying that everyone who lives in Germany is a damn Nazi or that Chinese people eat childrens for breakfast or even that everyone who's Muslim is a terrorist...Plain wrong...Bad Esteban, Bad...if this was /. you would get "-1 Troll"...

Nom back on topic gals...

Seeing the circumstances Materazzi really deserved it...but not in game...he could always have caught it in the way to the locker room...And kicked his damn ass...

In sport, your level of play should do all the talking. Keep your damn mouth shut and show respect for your opponents.

Welcome to the real world of sport. The mental part of sport is a big part and many players from all teams hurl abuse at each other. Do you think they're always shouting tactics, and complimenting and respecting one another all the time? Its unfortuantly part of the game whether people like it or not. Zidane should have saved it for off the pitch no matter how strongly he felt, thats what being professional is about.

Just shows how Zidane was not the good player we all thought we was. He couldn't take the psychological part of the game, so he ain't the best. I'm glad he got kicked.

And there comes a time where a guy has enough and has to step up and end it. Zidane did that. While it screwed his team over, I respect the guy for leveling the prick like he did. In sport, your level of play should do all the talking. Keep your damn mouth shut and show respect for your opponents.

Um, you do realize this is a sport, correct? Sportsmanship is all well and good, but not everyone's going to follow those rules. You have to rise above it. You're preaching sportsmanship here when Zidane showed absolutely none.