Zizou Provoked by Serious Taunt?

Um, you do realize this is a sport, correct? Sportsmanship is all well and good, but not everyone's going to follow those rules. You have to rise above it. You're preaching sportsmanship here when Zidane showed absolutely none.

If the insult was as bad as they are saying, they he did what he had to. Just like a pitcher that throws at a batter or a hard foul against someone running up the score in basketball. Sometimes, you need to show you're not to be messed with.

Materazzi's intention was for Zidane to do something and get called obviously, being an Italy fan, I can even see that Italy had no legs in that extra-time and it was a given that if they went into PK Zidane would be key, so Materazzi probably wanted to provoke Zidane into an action by saying something and that's exactly what happened.

But the problem is; I would've understood if Zidane turned around and pushed him, but head-butting is out of the ordinary whether he disses his family or not.

It's clear Materazzi's intention was to provoke Zidane into doing something costly for his team, and Zidane fell for it.

But he did pretty much end his career on a negative note.

Zidane was wrong, period. He was supposed to be the captian, the leader, but instead he was an embarassement, and will be remembered for ending his career with a headbutt.

the stronger man will never give in to these tactics. say what you want about materazzi, but he outsmarted zidane in this one. he's their best PK guy, and it was just about to go to pks. so obviously materazzi tries to bait him, and he falls for it.

if zidane wanted to be a good sport, he could have embarrassed materazzi in front of the press or something like that after the game, hell, he could headbutt or even fist fight after the game, if you want to settle it like a "man". but thats not what materazzi wanted, and he probably didn't even mean the things he said. people talk crap in every sport, all the time. if you take it personally, you are giving them the upper hand.

I personally think Zidane is a hero for what he did, if Materrazi did wish ugly death on him and his family Zidane sorted it out on the field, his mother is in critical stages regarding health. And dont forget what kind of a player Materrazi is! And it just shows what kind of a man Zidane is, he doesnt disclose what Materrazi said, shows courage and honor to leave what foul things happened on the field, on the field and not making a big publicity thing.

What Zidane did i think is acceptable, because it was near the end of the final and the game was going no where. If i was Zidane i would have let go by me if the game was just begining.

If the insult was as bad as they are saying, they he did what he had to. Just like a pitcher that throws at a batter or a hard foul against someone running up the score in basketball. Sometimes, you need to show you're not to be messed with.

No, he did not do what he had to. This is nothing like that. This is getting ejected from the biggest game of your life (well, tied for the biggest since he was in the World Cup final before) and letting your teammates down. Oh, and you're the captain. That is a weak man right there. That is a weak teammate. This isn't showing you're not to be messed with -- this is being there for your teammates and not making your entire country look bad.

Secondly, stop assuming what was said. We don't know. Neither party has even hinted at it, so how are these media outlets getting this news? Answer: it's speculation.

BroChaos echoed my sentiments perfectly.

yeah, ok... so he's suppose to not react to racist insult by this fascist Italian, right? No wonder why Italian clubs are in deep **** for paying referee and cheating in their own country (check the controversy that's raging now in Italy). Now the Italian brought their frustration and problems to the world cup.

I'm not saying what Zidane did was ok in any way, but if this is how soccer is going to be played in the future by having cheaters and corrupted people winning world cups, i'm not too sure about the future of the sport as it is now

Yeah except not a single player is involved in the corruption back home so none of those "cheaters and corrupted people" were involved in the winning of this cup. Yeah Italy winning the Cup puts the future of the sport in jeopardy :whistle:

I just copied and pasted this from my post in the World Cup thread because I didn't feel like re-typing all of that lol.

To the people defending Zidane, are you friggin kidding me???? I have not seen Materazzi play dirty in this tourney. You want to go on a player's past reputation? Fine let's also look at Zidane. We could point to his headbutt in a Champion's League game with Juve. Or perhaps his despicable actions in WC '98 stepping on the Saudi Arabian player. Zidane is a great skilled player no doubt. But to react like that to some verbal insult is absolutely despicable and classless. I lost all my respect for him with that action. He acted like an ASS with no control over himself. Please, based on the "well it was such a terrible thing that Materazzi said" argument then players all over the world have the right to charge into the stands and beat the living hell out of fans in almost every sport imaginable because some chants and taunts I've personally heard at sporting events here in the States and the stories about harsh fans internationally would justify that. You don't like Materazzi? Fine but don't try to justify the cheap shot and Zidane's acting like a ****ing bitch. I'm sure Zidane was capable of dishing out some verbal abuse of his own instead of stooping to that depsicable level. And if you ARE gonna go after a guy do it like a man. Don't pull off a dirty sucker-punch type move. Face up and tell him "Ok now we're throwing down" (or something to that effect lol) THEN go after him. It was a cheap and dirty shot plain and simple.

Edited by bigbluepride35

All those who are talking BS about zidane being a let-down you are in the minority many people are with zidane and thats without even knowing what had been said to him ... btw if you would just walk away after something like that had been said to you especially when your mothers ill ... wow just wow .

I think Zidane did make a very stupid mistake doing what he did considering he is the captain of his team.

That being said, I also think the douche bag that taunted him (Materrazi) got exactly what he deserved. I give Zidane credit for not running to the media afterwards and pulling the "This is the horrible thing he said to me (insert gasps of the journalists)" instead he is taking it like a man and accepting the crap he is getting for it, he isn't trying to hide.

Smack talk is a part of sports. Anything to get an edge. Zidane is supposed to be a professional. He should be able to control himself and not lose it just because of a little smack talk. Good thing he is retiring, because if he can't take some talk and control his temper, he has no business being out there.

Wow, if you guys know Soccer, you know it works way differently than the way Basketball, Hockey and other sports work in North America.

These players are friends usually, because atleast once they were playing together, thanks to the clubs they're in. If you know Zidane and Ronaldo, you know they were good friends, but Materrazi is an ######, he never shows friendlyness after the game is over or after the first half, just walks off and doesnt show his face to his opponent.

You know, I've stayed away from posting about this and after reading these three pages, I have only one thing to say. We are quick to judge and bash Zidane for his head butt but we were not the ones on the field running for 110 minutes (since he missed the last 10) on our final game as a professional and we sure as hell weren't there to hear what was told to him, whether it was attacking his descent or attacking his ailing mother.

Zidane, regardless of what he did 8 years ago is not the type of player that will just turn around, run at you, and head butt you unless there was a justification. Knowing Materazzi and how much of a scum he is as a player, I wouldn't be surprised if what he said was deserving of that head butt.

He was suspended for two months in 2004 after punching an opponent and conceded earlier in the tournament, "I can't tell you how many times my kids have been told at school that I'm a monster."

"You make mistakes in life," Materazzi added. "But then you have to purify yourself, without seeking revenge. Everyone has their destiny."

I think that itself is good enough to get an understanding of how much of a scum bag that guy is.

Zidane ended his career like a piece of garbage. I don't care what the guy was saying to him, it's just words. He could have been talking about brutally raping Zidane's mother for all I care. Headbutting the guy like that, during the most watched sporting event in the world, was the wrong way to solve it.

Zidane could have met him outside of the stadium after the game and kicked his ass, and that would have been fine. But during the game, you need to act like a professional. Was the Italian guy acting professionally? Not at all, but he didn't resort to physical violence.

Zidane ended his career like a piece of garbage. I don't care what the guy was saying to him, it's just words. He could have been talking about brutally raping Zidane's mother for all I care. Headbutting the guy like that, during the most watched sporting event in the world, was the wrong way to solve it.

Zidane could have met him outside of the stadium after the game and kicked his ass, and that would have been fine. But during the game, you need to act like a professional. Was the Italian guy acting professionally? Not at all, but he didn't resort to physical violence.

You tend to contradict yourself a bit.

Ok, so what Materazzi said was unprofessional but yet, you want Zidane to react to Materazzi's unprofessional comments in a professional manner?

He could have been talking about brutally raping Zidane's mother for all I care.

Exactly. You don't care because obviously the comment made to him wasn't towards you and your mom isn't sick in the hospital.

Smack talk is a part of sports. Anything to get an edge. Zidane is supposed to be a professional. He should be able to control himself and not lose it just because of a little smack talk. Good thing he is retiring, because if he can't take some talk and control his temper, he has no business being out there.

Gotta agree with both of these.

Everyone should be able to handle a couple yo-momma jokes, right?

Gotta agree with both of these.

Everyone should be able to handle a couple yo-momma jokes, right?

Yes, but do we know if they were "yo momma..." jokes? Sources close to FIFA say that he called him a terrorist and I don't see how someone can handle a "yo terrorist..." joke when they know damn well of his Algerian background.

You know, I've stayed away from posting about this and after reading these three pages, I have only one thing to say. We are quick to judge and bash Zidane for his head butt but we were not the ones on the field running for 110 minutes (since he missed the last 10) on our final game as a professional and we sure as hell weren't there to hear what was told to him, whether it was attacking his descent or attacking his ailing mother.

Zidane, regardless of what he did 8 years ago is not the type of player that will just turn around, run at you, and head butt you unless there was a justification. Knowing Materazzi and how much of a scum he is as a player, I wouldn't be surprised if what he said was deserving of that head butt.

I think that itself is good enough to get an understanding of how much of a scum bag that guy is.

I lost respect for you with the portugal businees in the other thread ... but thats the best thing you've said in the sports section. Well said.

Zinedine Zidane's agent claims that the France captain was provoked into headbutting Marco Materazzi during the World Cup final by a "very serious" comment.

The pair held a lengthy dialogue during the closing stages of Sunday's match before Zidane felled the Italian defender with an extraordinary head-butt.

"He told me Materazzi said something very serious to him but he wouldn't tell me what," agent Alain Migliaccio told BBC Radio Five Live.

"Zinedine didn't want to talk about it but he will talk about it in the next couple of days," he continued.

"He is a man who normally lets things wash over him but on Sunday night something exploded inside him.

"He was very disappointed and sad. He didn't want it to end this way."

Neither Materazzi nor Zidane have spoken publicly since the final. According to French newspaper L'Equipe, Materazzi goaded the Algerian-French Zidane by calling him "a terrorist". Other reports have claimed that the former Everton defender told the France captain - born in Marseille, but of Algerian heritage - "you should play for your own country".

Agent ? please , he knows he's going to lose money

English Radio and by an Agent ? again the same thing

Terrorist ? the Italian translator is a friend of Bush ? :p , i would believe on the last sentence , "Play on your own Country" or "Henry is a Diver like C.Ronaldo"

( Zizou got mad and showed him ( 1 sec before the aggresion Zizou said :Well at least I can do head to head better than figo ) ( This to a French Translator )

Since neither of the 2 comments WE DO NOT KNOW if what they say is the TRUE , beside that doesnt matter , the agent already is attempting to Clean the Image

French Newspaper ? wtf , its the same as english ones when they lost to Portugal ( beside they need to get their escape goats ( Well I'm still hoping to see British Newspaper saying C.Ronaldo was Winking to Rooney saying - We meet at your place kisses lover )

im Muslim, and i get it.

i hate that word..and i hate it how somehow somewhere its connected to a religion...so if jack the ripper was christian..and i should start calling all the christians "rippers", not to mention RIAA being on their asses:)

what he did was wrong, but nobody is perfect...and men have egos...if it was me..i wouldve punched him in the face...i will not stand for someone insulting me or my family...football or no football..finals or no finals..i will not stand for that.

henry said it best:

"You can take the man out of the rough neighborhood, but you can't take the rough neighborhood out of the man," Henry, who hails from similarly impoverished roots, said overnight.

like chris rock said it..."im not saying he was right, but i get it".

edit, actually it should go like this:

"im not saying he shouldve kicked his ass, but i understand".

Edited by MetaLRasaM

Materazzi is the scum of the italian team and I am glad that I was there to see Zidane give him what he deserved.

You can't excusse the act but you can understand it.

"After an exhaustive study of the match video, and with the help of an Italian translator", the newspaper reported their man "read" Materazzi calling Zidane "the son of a terrorist ######", before adding, "So just f--- off".

now if you come from a minority group anywhere in the world..and hear something like this..you would do the exact same..if not worst.

ur moms sick..and ur playing your heart out..and this scum smiles and says something this horrible to you..would you BE THE BIGGER MAN and walk? PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEE dont say that...i know its not true...im not even a huge France fan (Iran finished last in their group)...but you know...thats not what football is all about...

source:

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/st...5E23209,00.html

I think he should have kept calm

I would hit the guy really hard but then again I'm not a professional soccer player and I'm not the capitain of my country's team

Exactly...he lost his cool like a 'spoiled baby'...and should have just brushed it off...and then kicked his ass after the 'Game'...they could have won...but as it is...this will go down as another 'Google'...again no search results found for "French Victory"