• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Zizou Provoked by Serious Taunt?

Detroit    0

"After an exhaustive study of the match video, and with the help of an Italian translator", the newspaper reported their man "read" Materazzi calling Zidane "the son of a terrorist ######", before adding, "So just f--- off".

now if you come from a minority group anywhere in the world..and hear something like this..you would do the exact same..if not worst.

source:

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/st...5E23209,00.html

Yes, somethings just cannot be left unpunished from a certain point of view in the world. Sure lots of people trash talk in a north american system but you have to understand...football is mostly a european sport and it has become a sort of religion. Just like every part of the world reacts differently to different things , Zidane reacted to Materazzi's comments. Sure, us north americans might say it was unclassy but maybe , just maybe it was only thing to do...Give him a taste of his own medicine

L3thal    2

If you love soccer/football and if you played it already, you can understand the passion and the emotions that run high when games are on their way. What Zidane did was what any player would have done in most circumstances. Why do you think there are many head butts in soccer that result in suspensions? Why do you think there are elbows to players faces and kicks to injure? Emotions run high when you play at the highest level of all and we sometimes forget that those players are humans just like us and they do mistakes.

football is mostly a european sport and it has become a sort of religion.

Its a worldwide sport. Every continent lives and breathes for this sport except a few countries such as the US.

Ayepecks    117

If you love soccer/football and if you played it already, you can understand the passion and the emotions that run high when games are on their way. What Zidane did was what any player would have done in most circumstances. Why do you think there are many head butts in soccer that result in suspensions? Why do you think there are elbows to players faces and kicks to injure? Emotions run high when you play at the highest level of all and we sometimes forget that those players are humans just like us and they do mistakes.

Its a worldwide sport.

Sorry, but I hardly think headbutting a player in retaliation is the first thing that crosses almost anyone's mind, let alone the majority of soccer/football players.

Yes, emotions run high. But it's still a sport, and smack talk is part of all sports. We can all sit here and wish it wasn't and hope and pray for a perfect world, but that is what it'd be -- a perfect world. Zidane made a stupid move, and there's little justifying it for anything that was said. He let his team down by letting emotions take over.

You're trying to defend him, yet in the end you basically admit what it was -- a mistake. He made a mistake. It's his own fault for letting that happen, no one else's.

Jeremy1    0
You tend to contradict yourself a bit.

Ok, so what Materazzi said was unprofessional but yet, you want Zidane to react to Materazzi's unprofessional comments in a professional manner?

It's not a contradiction at all. Both players should be acting in a professional manner. The fact that Materazzi was being an ass does not give Zidane an excuse to react the way he did. Part of being a professional is dealing with crap like that.

AppleDave    1

Sorry, but I hardly think headbutting a player in retaliation is the first thing that crosses almost anyone's mind, let alone the majority of soccer/football players.

Yes, emotions run high. But it's still a sport, and smack talk is part of all sports. We can all sit here and wish it wasn't and hope and pray for a perfect world, but that is what it'd be -- a perfect world. Zidane made a stupid move, and there's little justifying it for anything that was said. He let his team down by letting emotions take over.

You're trying to defend him, yet in the end you basically admit what it was -- a mistake. He made a mistake. It's his own fault for letting that happen, no one else's.

Mistake? I don't think he mistakingly head-butted him in the sternum, I definitely would of retaliated in some way or another if that italian player said those things to me.

Jeremy1    0
Mistake? I don't think he mistakingly head-butted him in the sternum

He didn't headbutt him by mistake, it was a mistake to do it in the first place.

L3thal    2

I'm not trying to defend anyone. I am just stating that emotions run high and when a scum bag taunts you with racist comments of being a terrorist you will lose your cool and retaliate.

Druw    0

for once i agree with l3thal. why you!

Ji@nBing    53
"After an exhaustive study of the match video, and with the help of an Italian translator", the newspaper reported their man "read" Materazzi calling Zidane "the son of a terrorist ######", before adding, "So just f--- off".

now if you come from a minority group anywhere in the world..and hear something like this..you would do the exact same..if not worst.

ur moms sick..and ur playing your heart out..and this scum smiles and says something this horrible to you..would you BE THE BIGGER MAN and walk? PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEE dont say that...i know its not true...im not even a huge France fan (Iran finished last in their group)...but you know...thats not what football is all about...

source:

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/st...5E23209,00.html

I would be the bigger man and walk. Again, you are a pro athelete. If you can't take some smack, get out. He very well could have cost his team the World Cup with his selfish act. You have to control your temper out there. Period. And to respond to the guy who said they are all friends out there, I don't care. This is in the heat of competition and everything is on the line. People may be friends off the pitch, but on it they are competitors and will do anything for that extra edge that could insure victory. You have to be above any insults and not let your temper control you. Don't do anything to hurt your team.

Also it doesn't matter what he said and what kind of a minority you are. He was obviously just saying it to get a reaction out of him and he did. He won ther personal battle and he won the match. Zidane=loser. Materazzi=winner.

spenser.d    1,100

Well I don't follow the WC at all, so I'm unbiased as to France/Italy, but this was what most of the most watched vids on youtube were yesterday. And while I don't think what he did was right, I think that if anyone that came from his background were called a terrorist (or anything racist), they'd probably want to beat the heck out of that person. In times like these where terrorism is all over the media, calling someone a terrorist, especially with his background just isn't right (not to mention insulting both him and his mom in the same line), and I can easily see how that would fuel his reaction.

I'm not gonna lie though, that was an amazing headbutt. I would definitely not want to be on the recieving end of something like that.

-Spenser

L3thal    2

I would be the bigger man and walk. Again, you are a pro athelete. If you can't take some smack, get out. He very well could have cost his team the World Cup with his selfish act. You have to control your temper out there. Period. And to respond to the guy who said they are all friends out there, I don't care. This is in the heat of competition and everything is on the line. People may be friends off the pitch, but on it they are competitors and will do anything for that extra edge that could insure victory. You have to be above any insults and not let your temper control you. Don't do anything to hurt your team.

Its easy to say that even though pro athletes perform otherwise. This is just not Zidane that retaliates in ways he shouldn't. If you go to other sports, there are similar and sometimes worse scenarios. For example, in the NBA, Ron Artest and Stephen Jackson ran into the stands and beat the crap out of fans just because they got hit with beer. In the NHL, Bertuzzi deliberately almost paralyzed one of his opponents as payback for what he did to him earlier. In MLB, there were a few scenarios such as the Dodgers bullpen throwing fists against fans down the right field line a year or so ago and not to mention the punch Barrett gave AJ a few months ago. Do I need more examples?

My point is that when you are an athlete, your thirst of victory takes over your mind and you tend to lose your fuse when something doesn't go your way. I just want to make it clear that this happens in every sport and its not just a Zidane thing. Athletes, even though they should set as example, are humans and they do mistakes just like us. While we fist fight our neighbors because they talked trash about your wife, these players fight in the field over similar circumstances, difference being they are athletes.

macstorm    0

That is not a reason. He is supposed to be a leader. A leader must have a leveled head.

and cold blooded head :yes:

Ji@nBing    53

Its easy to say that even though pro athletes perform otherwise. This is just not Zidane that retaliates in ways he shouldn't. If you go to other sports, there are similar and sometimes worse scenarios. For example, in the NBA, Ron Artest and Stephen Jackson ran into the stands and beat the crap out of fans just because they got hit with beer. In the NHL, Bertuzzi deliberately almost paralyzed one of his opponents as payback for what he did to him earlier. In MLB, there were a few scenarios such as the Dodgers bullpen throwing fists against fans down the right field line a year or so ago and not to mention the punch Barrett gave AJ a few months ago. Do I need more examples?

My point is that when you are an athlete, your thirst of victory takes over your mind and you tend to lose your fuse when something doesn't go your way. I just want to make it clear that this happens in every sport and its not just a Zidane thing. Athletes, even though they should set as example, are humans and they do mistakes just like us. While we fist fight our neighbors because they talked trash about your wife, these players fight in the field over similar circumstances, difference being they are athletes.

It's not accpetable in any sport, by any athelete, except maybe hockey where fighting is tolerated.

The Bertuzzi incident wasn't for what he did to him earlier. It was in retaliation to a dirty hit on his captain Markus Naslund earlier. And there was no intention to break his neck. He was trying to fight him (again, accepted in hockey, happens almost every game) and the guy ran away, so he punched him in the back of the head and jumped him. His team mates then jumped on Bertuzzi, breaking the guys neck.

But, fighting is not tolerated in Soccer. He should have just taken it and dealt with it later, not humiliated himself like that and put his team in that position. As the teams so called leader in the World Cup match, he should have had more control over himself and not let a little smack talk get that kind of reaction out of him.

Gabriel    0

what Russian says

post-24788-1152609621_thumb.jpg

the godfather    0

I think Materazzi must have said something very bad to provoke Zidane. I think that what he did was that he 'snapped' after keeping in for so long. The italian might have deserved what he got, and Zidane a split second satisfaction, but what he sorta took the game into his own hands, because he was pretty much the best player on the field, and let his teammates down in hope of lifting the trophy. It was like a solitary act that condemned his team to losing, which i think he should have thought twice about before commiting the act.

Jase    130

^^ what the hell :blink:

Rowain    0

I think Materazzi must have said something very bad to provoke Zidane. I think that what he did was that he 'snapped' after keeping in for so long. The italian might have deserved what he got, and Zidane a split second satisfaction, but what he sorta took the game into his own hands, because he was pretty much the best player on the field, and let his teammates down in hope of lifting the trophy. It was like a solitary act that condemned his team to losing, which i think he should have thought twice about before commiting the act.

Check the link posted earlier...

Pajter    16

Why the **** is everybody in here calling it smack talk?

People, what Materazzi said was WAY beyond smack talk. A thing like that is a very deep, personal and emotional offence. Especially when your mother is very ill in the hospital. On times like that, you can't expect a man to be emotionally stable. Man, I personally would've snapped the guy's neck who would say such a thing to me. Regardless of the sport you're playing, regardless of being a captain, a leader. At a time like that, the line is crossed. You can say whatever you want, but Zidane's action was very understandable.

FlibbyFlobby    0

Why the **** is everybody in here calling it smack talk?

People, what Materazzi said was WAY beyond smack talk. A thing like that is a very deep, personal and emotional offence. Especially when your mother is very ill in the hospital. On times like that, you can't expect a man to be emotionally stable. Man, I personally would've snapped the guy's neck who would say such a thing to me. Regardless of the sport you're playing, regardless of being a captain, a leader. At a time like that, the line is crossed. You can say whatever you want, but Zidane's action was very understandable.

How do you know he crossed the line. No one knows what was even said yet. Its all speculation. The BBC have said he supposedly said something about his family and then told him to "f**k off", but he denies both. So why not wait until its confirmed instead? Its innocent until proven guilty, not the other way around.

BBC Article

Edited by ziadoz

Xantheus    0

Just reading today's Independent. Apparently Materazzi told Zizou that his sister was a prostitute or something along those lines, im just gonna go read the rest of the article.

Pajter    16

Its innocent until proven guilty, not the other way around.

Yeah you're right about that. I'm just very quick at jumping to conclusions.

Anyway, I still think Zidane must've had a good reason. And that he was still emotionally unstable. When you're playing the biggest match of your life, that already puts a lot of pressure on you. And then when you also just found out your mother is very sick, that's even more pressure. Not everyone can handle that. Well actually, I can only think of so little people who can handle it.

ekerazha    0

It's plausible Materazzi said something to Zidane just to provoke him. This happens often on a football field. Maybe Materazzi hoped in a Zidane reaction to make order off him... and Zidane swallowed the bait like a child. Zidane had a very childish behaviour and his action is totally inexcusable.

If he provoked you..

1) Ignore him: this is the behaviour of a MAN.

2) If you can't ignore him (!!), just answer to the provocation... don't headbutt him! And this isn't the first time Zidane headbutts somebody. He has not even had respect for his own teammates that remained in 10.

zeroday    19

It's plausible Materazzi said something to Zidane just to provoke him. This happens often on a football field. Maybe Materazzi hoped in a Zidane reaction to make order off him... and Zidane swallowed the bait like a child. Zidane had a very childish behaviour and his action is totally inexcusable.

If he provoked you..

1) Ignore him: this is the behaviour of a MAN.

2) If you can't ignore him (!!), just answer to the provocation... don't headbutt him! And this isn't the first time Zidane headbutts somebody. He has not even had respect for his own teammates that remained in 10.

On the BBC 10 oclock news just now they had a lip reader interpret what Materzaai said. They reckon he said 'I wish and ugly death to you and your family' and on the same day Zidane found out his mother was ill

No matter how good a player or how cool headed, I don't think anybody would think twice before reacting like that, especially after what was said. Other UK papers were saying different things, like he called his mother a ###### :o , and that he said stuff about his sister.

Seriously, I think Zidane was being provoked from before the incident, with Materazzi twisting his nipple. Zidane took all of that well, until he got personal. :no:

But Zidane's headbutt knocked him onto the grass :woot:, that was one angry headbutt. :D

V0b0    0

this is my first year seriously watching the world cup and i must say i thoroughly enjoyed watching france. it seemed they, and zidane were destined to win. i was quite shocked when this happened, and even though i never watched soccer before with any degree of seriousness felt sad when zidane walked by the wc and off the field.

as a laymen, a couple things i noticed that i found strange. 1 the ref didn't see it, and from what i saw was going to let it go but then the other official talked to an italian, called over the main ref and instantly, without discussion he gave zidane a red card, in other sports, if the ref doesn't see it [not if a second official looks at the replay on the jumbotron], it's TS, no call.

2. now i don't know about football, but in other sports there are certain things you just can't say. One example that comes to mind is Sean Avery last year in the NHL; he continually made racist comments and continually got the crap kicked out of him, including in illegal suspendable ways. the NHL didn't suspend the people who attacked avery, because racist comments cross the line and are technically worthy of a large fine. if the italian did say something along the lines of what has been posted, why wasn't he ejected as well, or why wasn't it discussed? since they both (apparently) did something very unsportsmanlike, shouldn't either the two cancel each other out or both should get the punishment? after all he stayed in and scored on the penalty kicks. doesn't football have any rules about unacceptable language?

3. i know this might sound crazy, but why not a yellow card? my reason for thinking this is the ref didnt actually see it, neither ref knew what was said, the guy clearly went down to make it look worse and no actual injury was sustained. i saw atleast 5 times in that game dirty, clearly intent to injure plays (mostly by the italians) that were yellow cards or less. why do the attacks that look the nastiest always get the worst penalty?

as for the guy posting about bertuzzi, thats not correct. steve moore was quite possibly called up from the minors for the soul purpose of taking a run at naslund. naslund got hurt from a very dirty check, no suspension no call. Bertuzzi did what basically all hockey players do and stood up for his teammate, moore refused to fight, bertuzzi drilled him and he fell down. steve moore is not paralyzed or 'close to it' if such thing even exists.

wicker_man    0

Zidane was wrong, period. He was supposed to be the captian, the leader, but instead he was an embarassement, and will be remembered for ending his career with a headbutt.

ONE HELL OF A HEADBUTT! He was right to do so, Go Zidane!