• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Zizou Provoked by Serious Taunt?

golazo    0

lol @ people saying he cant handle a bit of smack talk, they smack talk all the time and matterazzi wasn't getting a reaction out of zidane so he kept stepping up the level of insults until he got a result.. first he said something like "a piece of **** like you cant go for a high ball like that" then zidane smiled and then materazzi said the thing about his mother.. zidane even asked materazzi if they wanted to trade shirts after the game but materrazzi says "the only shirt ill be taking off after the game is your wifes" LOL!! good theater on the day but zizou probably should have held back and smacked him one in the tunnel after the game like a true gentlemen :p what a powerfull header that was though

Edited by SeMz...

V0b0    0

anyone who says 'oh he should be a man and just not do anything' has clearly never been in such a situation. that would be very hard to restrain yourself under the circumstances and if what was said was true i think zidane was justified in what he did. eventually, if you say the right combination of things every person will snap and have a violent reaction. insulting someones ethnicity and family while their mother is ill would probably push most people over that edge and IMHO, is worse than a headbutt to the chest.

Kerm    51

I'm behind Zidane on this.

I'm not condoning his headbutt but given the circumstances i think he did well to control himself not doing more.

Quactaur    3

Zidane was totally right to do what he did. That son of a bitch was goading him constantly, and Zidane was ignoring him, he even smiled at first, but then snapped. It's a damn shame he couldn't have held it when it was the cup at stake, but i don't blame him. The number of people saying he should know better should try a stressfull near-two hours of football with their reputation at stake before judging.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/1,,2006310771,00.html

a highball is not for feccia like you?.

Feccia is an Italian insult meaning scum or s**t.

A lip-reader told The Sun that Marco Materazzi called Zidane a ?son of a terrorist ######? before the French Algerian was sent off in Sunday?s explosive match.

ekerazha    0

On the BBC 10 oclock news just now they had a lip reader interpret what Materzaai said. They reckon he said 'I wish and ugly death to you and your family' and on the same day Zidane found out his mother was ill

Ahah... every "lip reader" consulted is saying a different thing:

"he said he's a terrorist"

"he said he'll rape his sons"

"he said his sister is a bitch"

"he said his family should die"

"he said ..."

:rolleyes:

No matter how good a player or how cool headed, I don't think anybody would think twice before reacting like that, especially after what was said. [...]

This is the difference between MEN and children. He acted like a child.

But Zidane's headbutt knocked him onto the grass :woot:, that was one angry headbutt. :D

Probably Materazzi throwed down to emphasize the knock received. Materazzi is physically the double of Zidane.

Farstrider    298
@ekerazha:Probably Materazzi throwed down to emphasize the knock received. Materazzi is physically the double of Zidane.

I am not sure if Ekerazha is the first person to point this out, but I know what is is to dish out and receive a real head butt (or as they say in Liverpool, a Liverpool Kiss) and football players make a meal out of every little touch they receive, some of them go down as if they have been pole axed, and Materazzi certainly did that, I can bet you my life that in a pub brawl he would not have gone down at all! It was a calculated act on his part as well and designed to get Zizou sent of the park!

L3thal    2

What's new? The scum bag says he called him nothing and now confesses that he did call him something, though he doesn't say what. He has now turned into a liar.

I am pretty sure this will get resolved sooner or later. FIFA has a full ongoing investigation into this matter and things will get cleared sooner or later.

Peter Griffin    1

Regardless of what was said, Zidane eliminated himself from the game and possible could have made an impact if he would have remained in. Materazzi's goal was to get Zidane out of the game, and Zidane fell for it....hook, line, and sinker. Zidane should have remained cool, won the game, then kicked him in the balls. No way would I lose my cool in the last and most important game of my life, no matter if someone insulted me and my family for the whole game. Gotta ignore that crap and play to win.

cobain81    0

I'm italian and I'm disguised by Materazzi. He's not new to this kind of actions. That was the death of football

Quactaur    3

Ahah... every "lip reader" consulted is saying a different thing:

No, the first reports about his family etc were the early ones. Most news sources now agree on the terrorist reading, and it was Materazzi's PR guy himself who said it was his wife.

macro    0

I still can't believe he actually did it. How could you possibly do something so blatant when you know you are in extra time? I can see losing your temper but it's the last game of his career, it's for the World Cup, and it's in extra time. You just don't do stuff like that in such a situation. I would think he would have control of himself no matter what was said. If Zidane truly forgot and just lost it then I think he deserves the exit he got.

L3thal    2

I still can't believe he actually did it. How could you possibly do something so blatant when you know you are in extra time? I can see losing your temper but it's the last game of his career, it's for the World Cup, and it's in extra time. You just don't do stuff like that in such a situation. I would think he would have control of himself no matter what was said. If Zidane truly forgot and just lost it then I think he deserves the exit he got.

When your family is insulted, particularly your ill mother, I don't think you really care if its the World Cup final or not. There's a line that shouldn't be crossed and when Materazzi crossed it, so did Zidane.

Pajter    16

Althought it's been said so many times, well said L3thal..

macro    0

I read the Italian player say that he didn't insult the mother though. I guess it comes down to whether you believe him or not, but even if your mother was ill and someone insulted her, you are a professional player and have heard it a million times before. Now would not be the time to decide to snap unless you really have no control

TokyoKiller    16

Uh oh, guys check this out...It may turn out that we see Materrazi getting stoned and called names in his own country:

FIFA investigation

On July 11, 2006, FIFA declared its intent to officially investigate the incident. [25]

An Amendment regarding discrimination to Art. 55, Par. 4 of the FIFA Disciplinary Code [3] stipulates that if any player, association or club official or spectator publicly disparages, discriminates against or denigrates someone in a defamatory manner on account of race, colour, language, religion or ethnic origin, or perpetrates any other discriminatory and/or contemptuous act and can be attributed to a certain team, the team in question faces deduction of points in the group stage resp. disqualification in the knockout stage.

The new provisions had been adopted on 28 March 2006 and may lead to the FIFA Executive Committee imposing harsh sanctions and even disallowing Italy's team the World Cup victory if Materazzi is convicted of having insulted Zidane with racial slurs.

Source: Wikipedia

Yeah, but don't be so sure guys, it Wikipedia so don't depend on it :). I always thought France deserved this cup after Germany was beaten. I hope the Italians do learn their lesson if this happens. I wouldn't mind seeing a rematch either, without Zidane and Materazzi :p.

L3thal    2

I read the Italian player say that he didn't insult the mother though. I guess it comes down to whether you believe him or not, but even if your mother was ill and someone insulted her, you are a professional player and have heard it a million times before. Now would not be the time to decide to snap unless you really have no control

I disagree.

First, why should we believe Materazzi? He just proved he's a liar today when he said he did insult him when two days ago he denied such claims. Why did he lie about it? Now, besides being a dirty scum of a player he is, he is a liar.

Second, how many times have you heard of players talking about their opponents mothers? These players are all professionals and they respect their opponents. The only time you see fights or head butts in football is when there is a very harsh tackle, not because your mother was insulted.

If you ask Zidane how many times a player insulted his mother, I can almost guarantee he will say once: Materazzi.

Flare    0

I am so frickking confused.... Did materazzi say "I'd rather take the shirt of your mum" or did he say "Your a son of a terrorist ######." because on the sunonline it said that he said both wtf matey...

tylerm    0

how can any of you defend Zidane. You don't even know what was said. its all speculation

macro    0

I disagree.

First, why should we believe Materazzi? He just proved he's a liar today when he said he did insult him when two days ago he denied such claims. Why did he lie about it? Now, besides being a dirty scum of a player he is, he is a liar.

Second, how many times have you heard of players talking about their opponents mothers? These players are all professionals and they respect their opponents. The only time you see fights or head butts in football is when there is a very harsh tackle, not because your mother was insulted.

If you ask Zidane how many times a player insulted his mother, I can almost guarantee he will say once: Materazzi.

hahah I'm not trying to convince you or anyone else, just saying that in sports taunting your opponent is a way to get an advantage, it happens all the time in soccer, and if you don't believe me that's fine with me. It's not the first time someone has tried to provoke him to get him to respond and draw a foul. The same way players draw fouls when they dive. It's anything to win, and Zidane should have known better than to flip out on that particular moment. But like tylerm said, none of us know for sure what was said. Also I'm not sticking up for the Italian player because I don't know anything about him, I'm just surprised at Zidanes reaction

ekerazha    0

No, the first reports about his family etc were the early ones. Most news sources now agree on the terrorist reading, and it was Materazzi's PR guy himself who said it was his wife.

Wrong :rolleyes:

jerzdawg    338

As much as I am all for a beat down if taunted enough..... but thats if i am at the local bar... when it comes to prof. sports... its a new level and trash talking is part of the game... no matter how harsh it is... none of us know what was said but either way i feel a physical reaction like that cannot be justified

macro    0

As much as I am all for a beat down if taunted enough..... but thats if i am at the local bar... when it comes to prof. sports... its a new level and trash talking is part of the game... no matter how harsh it is... none of us know what was said but either way i feel a physical reaction like that cannot be justified

Yeah exactly what I think. I could see if it was during a regular match but not in extra time for the World Cup, he is the best player on the team and he does that? Of all the times, it just makes no sense.