Vista RC1 Public Version

I used RC1 for about a week then switched back to XP. Still too much incompatibility, still too much memory usage, and still too many driver problems. The list goes on.

Maybe I'm cynical, but to be fair this has been in development for 5 years. :pinch:

I pretty much agree. I'm switching back to XP until the final ships.

Does anyone else have SB Audigy LS? Vista is not picking it up and SB does not have beta drivers that actually work.

The Creative drivers are flaky with this build. I was able to get my Audigy 2 ZS working but not in 5.1.

Does anyone else have SB Audigy LS? Vista is not picking it up and SB does not have beta drivers that actually work.

Yes, I'm also the unfortunate owner of a crappy LS. ;) (I've learnt it does EAX in software :blink:)

Anyway, I believe compatible drivers for this build and this card will be posted here when available:

http://forums.creative.com/creativelabs/board?board.id=Vista

One of the stickied topics is for the LS, but still only for Beta 2. :(

With both build 5536 and 5600 RC1 I have the same problems, first when waking from sleep my wireless network connection is lost and second hibernating is still screwy. The whole point of changing from 5536 to 5600 was I hoped these two problems were rectified.

With both build 5536 and 5600 RC1 I have the same problems, first when waking from sleep my wireless network connection is lost and second hibernating is still screwy. The whole point of changing from 5536 to 5600 was I hoped these two problems were rectified.

when waking from sleep my wireless network connection is lost

Known bug. :/

Thanks for the links. It's about 32% done, going at around 350 KB/sec.

Interestingly enough I had no problems downloading Pre-RC1, and this RC1 build. For beta 2, it kept stalling on me at random points.

For my PC, since I have 2 GB of RAM, build 5536 chipped away an additional 256 MB of RAM to use as graphics memory. :huh: Here I am thinking that the 256 MB of VRAM on my 7800 GT isn't enough, so Vista needs to act as if I have an integrated graphics chip and reserve additional memory?

Does it still do this for this build?

I wouldnt even let my grandmother's, brother's, sister's, third cousin use a system with 288mb of ram. I would chunk it out the window and buy them a new box. people dont deserve to suffer so badly in life

Actually, if my grandmother or some family member has no legitimate reason to upgrade to Vista, I'd happily keep them on XP, even with 288 MB of RAM (or 512 MB, that's enough for a casual user). And if you're still that anal about a PC with 288 MB of RAM, please donate it to charity or at least give it to my school that still has Windows 98-era PCs running XP with 64 MB of RAM. But don't chuck it out of the window. :rolleyes:

Hey. I signed up for Connect and did the validation thing, then it said my information would be sent soon, but its been like 4 hours, is there some step I missed or will the key not be sent to me via email or what? Are the servers just getting hammered?

1) anyone have the size in bytes of the x86 and x64 isos?

2) what's a simple file hashing program that i could use to hash the iso?

Thanks!

Here is x86 I don't have x64

crc 0xB3519FCA

ok this file has to be renamed to crc.exe

It won't let me attach a .exe file

Here is x86 I don't have x64

crc 0xB3519FCA

ok this file has to be renamed to crc.exe

It won't let me attach a .exe file

i dont know how to use crc.

anyone have a md5 or sha1 hasher? I'd like to compare with MS's results.

edit: got it http://sourceforge.net/projects/verifier

edit: could anyone try verifier and post their MD5 and SHA1 hashes (please note if it's x86 or x64)? I'm getting a different hash than the ones on MS and I want to verify if it's my problem, their problem, or the hash program's problem. Thanks!

32-Bit

MD5 hash: 22486e815a38feffd9667317dfeec55a

SHA1 hash: e00b4ebbc81fb420cf047973b95a9cfb7cdf51b7

64-Bit

MD5 hash: f3a385aae6e4dea9226e31d9f1148b56

SHA1 hash: 8e4de7a72c828a3543ff1663243eb0836da07eea

Edited by primexx

To check the MD5, CRC, and SHA-1 hash, you can use HashTab to activate a tab located on a file's Properties dialog. Very convienent.

@primexx: I've just finished my download. I'll check the hash.

edit: The two hashes given by MS for the x86 build match my file. (Both MD5 and SHA1) You can try using HashTab, but chances are the download's corrupt. :/

edit 2: Odd, I see what you mean. I got a different hash for the ISO when using Verifier:

A7726DDEDBE4D031F61A331C2021971A

:huh:

Edited by rm20010

yes, i hashed my x64 iso with the verifyer and got a different hash also. however using the hash tab it returns the proper hash for it.

I'm still getting a wrong hash for the x86 version, I wanted to check because my computer crashed in between. So I'll re-download the x86 iso now.

As to the verifier...it's just, wierd, i've even checked the verifier's accuracy against php's md5 hash and it turns out the same results for a string of text, so now i'm left wondering whether php's hash algorithm is accurate or not.