Photoshop Windows Rome!

^ I think that something that needs to be really redone (or totally changed) is the way we handle the menus.

We are in the right path since what we need are common divisions like: Software, Games, Documents, etc.

But, what could be implemented to access all this stuff with single clicks and without looking down into menus like the ones we got right now on Windows, OS X, Linux?

Another idea on creating concepts: don't try to make the whole desktop with windows. Maybe you guys can come up with single pieces of the OS (Windows, menus, etc.) and then people can gather them and use them for their mockups. It's quicker and easier and it helps getting single ideas out since you don't have to think about the whole environment to match it.

good thinking 99... infact the image that was done on the other page, i like the idea of the simple 3 main links up the top for programs | settings | documents... those 3 things ARE windows, i dunno dude, but simple thing, but yeh i love the simple idea behind that, less clutter... good work mate :)

Heres a quick thing i did..Instead of having a desktop with icons and wallpaper how about this:

rome3cs4.png

Sorry about the large file size.

Argh, imageshack messed with the colors abit..Oh dont worry fixed it now.

Edited by smash505

^ Maybe the mouse wheel will have even more functionality with that kind of menu(s)?

Menus that scroll with the mouse wheel and have that layout would be pretty awesome since almost every mouse now has a wheel. Although I think the menus should be vertical if it were the case.

Pretty nice concept smash505.

Another thing is that the menu should hide automatically. To activate it you should simply need to move the mouse pointer to the right or left of the screen (adjustable, maybe?). The menu would be only functional if the mouse is over it so it doesn't conflict with any other application (for example when you browse, your page moves when you scroll or something).

Edited by Rodrigo

aww is this topic dying?

please keep going with the ideas. im interested to see what you guys come up with.

i'd work on something but i know nothing about photoshop :-x

And why "Rome" :s

As history goes back, Rome was the most powerful cities back in the day.

Getting that out of the way, calling the new windows 'Rome' gives it a unique sense of power. muahahha

So you want that we make mockups of an revolutionairy Windows Interface ...

I may try to... but not toningh... i'm soo tired that I don't even understand the goal of a topic... :s

Seeya

the goal of the topic is my first post :p but a recap...

too many people here, and hell, on the web in general are all saying "windows vista hasnt changed much since windows 95" which, looking at it, it hasnt. Sooo, instead of bitching about it, do something about it by designing conceptual mockups of the generation of windows after Vienna (im pretty sure MS allready have in mind what that would look like) so if we all come up with fresh, innovating ideas for the next next gen windows, hell, we could all use something that looks and feels great to use.

If you cant photoshop it, simply describe it and we will all see what we can come up with...

:)