Vista - Tips, Tricks & Tweaks

Make a folder in your accounts Start Menu/Programs folder called "Bury" or similar. For example...

C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Bury

...where C:\ is your system drive and <user> is your accounts username.

Now move shortcuts of apps you don't want listed to the "Bury" folder. Make sure you root them all out from both your user accounts Start Menu folder and the "All Users" Start Menu folder, located at

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

After that, select the "Bury" folder and hit Alt+Return to bring up its Properties. Tick the 'Hidden' checkbox near the bottom then "OK", select 'Apply changes to this folder only' then "OK". Now the app shortcuts that you moved to the Bury folder shouldn't show up in the Start Menu sidebar, but will still be accessible by "Start Search" which is handy.

Pretty good tip if I do say so myself.

Thanks Saachi, I would never have come up with this.

For me this honours the tip of the week!

Tick the 'Hidden' checkbox near the bottom then "OK", select 'Apply changes to this folder only' then "OK". Now the app shortcuts that you moved to the folder shouldn't show up in the Start Menu sidebar, but will still be accessible by "Start Search" which is handy.

Nice Tip! :)

Is there a way to save folder listing to .txt? this option was available with tweakui, i think, in XP

i've been looking all over for the same function in vista

this is what i found

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/196158

with tweakui the feature was in the shell

anyway to do this in vista?

Thanks

Here ya go... :)

The files in the zip file below add a "Print Folder List" Context Menu Item to all folders.

You can access the Context Menu Item by holding down Shift + right-click on/in a folder.

When you select it, it creates a txt file (FolderList.txt) with the File List in the selected directory.

Install: Merge "Add PrintList.reg".

Uninstall: Merge "Remove PrintList.reg".

PrintList.zip

Edited by Herby

Nice Tip! :)

Here ya go... :)

The files in the zip file below add a "Print Folder List" Context Menu Item to all folders.

You can access the Context Menu Item by holding down Shift + right-click on/in a folder.

When you select it, it creates a txt file (FolderList.txt) with the File List in the selected directory.

Install: Merge "Add PrintList.reg".

Uninstall: Merge "Remove PrintList.reg".

Thanks a lot Herby!

can someone reup the remove arrow shortcut file it doesnt download no more says cannot be found =[

Here is a copy I downloaded a while back, it's from this thread but I'm not sure if they ever updated it. It works for me though.

RemoveArrow.zip

Here is a copy I downloaded a while back, it's from this thread but I'm not sure if they ever updated it. It works for me though.

hey man thanks alot appreciate it :)

Thank you, especially the shortcuts are handy to know! (IE WinKey + #) :)

Thank God for all your help! Seems like most everything has been covered in the tricks, etc, section, but do you know the scripts (batch files?) for each of the Vista Shutdown, Reboot, Sleep and Hibernate actions? TweakVI offers shortcuts for them, but i want to know the commands. I know and use them on W/9x machines but they must be different for Vista. Thanks again.

A lot of the download links for the reg files are down.
I think Herby's server is down, because the images aren't loading either.

Herby?

I've got a hosting problem,.. Plastic (from VirtualPlastic) is unable to host my site & space anymore, the data transfer = 8 - 10 GB per month.

I can't affort much atm,.. I've got a "busy brain bug" (ADHD) and I am taking a combination of Concerta and Ritalin. Concerta is very expensive and my insurance does not cover it. :(

I'm waiting for some responses, but if someone knows someone who knows someone who can help me out, please PM me!!

PS: if you really need one of the files, try right click -> save target as...

Edited by Herby

Oi people, and Herby, I only disabled hotlinking to get Herby's attention. Worked, answer your mail Herby, hehe, wouldn't have done it, but then we would have been shutdown a week ago. Basically, Herby's outgrown the small collection of underground things I don't seem to be able to let go. He needs some hosting that will hold up against Neowins popularity, 10-15 GB (3/4 of the month we were at 9, but is goes up and down a bit).

Then again, whatever Herby has linked on his site itself isn't blocked, go there to see if available. Hope that PM above has a solution ;).

Just a silly question, that probably has been answered here before. I use the getcontrol file listed here in the tips section, and it works perfectly. Only, i have 2 HD's, with about 500 subdirs on them, so my question is: is there a way to get full control over a whole HD in one simple way? Or should i do it directory after directory after directory......... ?

Thanks for any help

• 2 weeks later...

Remove the "shortcut" text to new shortcuts

When you make a new shortcut, Vista adds the word "shortcut" to the name of the shortcut.

This prevents it from turning up again.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

;-----  Remove "- Shortcut" in new shorcuts
;-----
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer]
"Link"=hex:00,00,00,00

Remove___Shortcut_in_new_shorcuts.zip