Vista - Tips, Tricks & Tweaks

Also I am having bug with this addon : the Erase Bin option is still there an active, the Clean temp dosent work it opens Search window for me :( look he screen shots :

binerasevc2.jpg

binsearchtu5.jpg

Thanks for your help :)

OFF TOPIC:

Would you mind posting your recycle bin icon netuser?

you ahev to put the folder in : C:\Windows\Resources\Themes

also i think there is patching thing to do; you have to put patched files : shsvcs.dll, themeui.dll, uxtheme.dll search on the forum if you ar enot able to find it i will post them for you.

Good luck

http://forums.wuggawoo.co.uk/images/attach...21176562805.jpg

Copied it twice, still doesnt show up.

CD looks a bit strange like it is behind the bin..

I fixed it, and here are 2 versions choose the one u liek beter ;) (anyway it was unnoticable when it is samller, dont tell me you will put in that size on ur desk lol)

mybinfull2qp0.png

mybinfull3bd9.png

Edited by netuser

http://forums.wuggawoo.co.uk/images/attach...21176562805.jpg

Copied it twice, still doesnt show up.

You patched the DLL file i indicated above ? also what is this theme ur using it is so ugly where are Aero effects ?

Anyway it is not in Theme that you should choose ,

Double click on aeroclean.msstyles you will have a windows with several "Windows Aero" lines, dont knwo why they are not renamed bu at my pc it is like this, now you choose one of them only "Windows Aero" and click apply the preveiw dosent mean anyting so try till you see the one with transperent one ;) I have 3 different and all 3 haev same name and same preview lol but once applied they are different

themeni9.jpg

Still doesnt work :/

I know how to help you get custom themes. There is program you can download call Vista Glazz I used it it will patch the files for you. It is easy to use I got it working and now got the AeroGlass theme now. Here is the link to the download page: http://vista-glazz.mainfiles.com/

Well, you must have done something else, the theme IS more glass, but the blur is still there though.

*sigh* The right files were patched, I downloaded and put the Aero Smoke files in the right place, tried choosing from my 3 Vista Aero choices and all I got were the maxi glass theme.

BTW I'm not a moron Outblastor, I've followed the instructors to the letter.

also what is this theme ur using it is so ugly where are Aero effects ?

Looks like the Windows Classic theme that is available by default, although it's renamed to "Vista Classic." And yeah... it's a bit of a waste. It doesn't take advantage of live thumbnails or Flip-3d.

This sorta proofs that people with lots of posts aint knowing **** more than newbies.

What was the point of this? Just makes you appear immature.

Hi guys,

My first post.

Firstly I want to thank you for the many many tips and tweaks - absolutely fantastic.

I seem to have screwed up my Vista Ultimate system though - I had got both TweakVI and Vista Manager installed but I don't know what combination of tweaks has brought this situation about so maybe someone here can help me.

I've got no icons in My Computer - they're all in the left hand pane but nothing in the main window.

I've also lost the ability to create new short cuts and new folders with my right click - Vista Manager is a bit rough around the edges and I blame it for that one.

I'd appreciate any help. I'm not a newbie and I have trawled the net and through both the Group Policy and Security Policy options as well as the registry looking for solutions but I'm not advanced enough obviously.

Thanks.

edit - sorry I'm in the wrong section - will a mod/admin move this please.

ps I fixed the My Computer icons issue - I uninstalled both the Tweaking apps and used Group Policy to restore it but I still can't create new shortcuts or folders.

Edited by cybernoelie

Here's a way to get a quick link to the Appearance Properties dialog (for changing fonts and such):

Create a shortcut with this as the path:

C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe Shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL desk.cpl,appearance,@appearance

This assumes Windows is installed on your C:\ drive

Forgive me, I'm not real good with this stuff.

I have Windows Vista Business 32bit on another computer and I have 4 gigs of RAM.. I tried doing the BCDEdit /set pae ForceEnable from an elevated command prompt and it came back with "The operation completed successfully." I checked the system thing and it still said 3071mb of RAM. I tried rebooting and it still said the same thing. Am I doing something wrong?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all !

Same problem for me, i have an ASUS P5B WIFI-Deluxe and 4go of ram.

I've tried BCDEDIT... and Vista 32 see only 3096mb.

Tested with Memory Remap enabled or not in the bios !

Where i'm wrong ?

Following on from:

Hidden Open Command Window Here Context Menu item:

If like me you want this to appear all the time navigate to:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\cmd

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell\cmd - Where Drive is the root drive letter.

Then delete the Extended string on the right hand side. Instead of deleting it I've renamed it by adding a semi-colan to the front (so it now reads ;Extended, although it doesn't matter). This way I can put it back if I ever need it.

I'm always using it, so personally prefer it this way.

After much searching on how to get ownership of my files I much appreciate the TakeOwn.zip! As the only one using this PC, and with my previous PC being that of W/9x which saw extensive Internet use daily for approx 7 years with only one virus (by the grace of God), i found Vista's scrupulousity unneeded. But it there a way to get the Up arrow back for navigation? I do not want to have 2 panes in every box and often i find myself dead-ended in navigation and much miss the old Up arrow. Also Vista forgets Window sizes, and sometimes View>Details settings. I would install XP or Linux but that is another story with the Dell e520. Thanks.

Actually this post was for https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=499870

Sorry

Edited by daniel1212

Here's a way to get a quick link to the Appearance Properties dialog (for changing fonts and such):

C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe Shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL desk.cpl,appearance,@appearance

If you go to C:\Windows\system32 and search for .cpl (i use Angent Ransack) you will find a lot of cpl files that you can make shortcut so. Control panel itself is control.exe which you can launch from the Run command (Windows key + R).

Herby! you are the man!

i use your clock, i use your styler, and im about to do that hard drive thing too!

Thanks so much for your post, i just did a generalized serch on Google for "Vista Tips"

and your Thread Post was the first to pop up. Right on bro. Thanks a lot.

i actually joined this site just to send you a reply for this post :D

By typing manual i dont get error anymore :o strange lolzz anyway now when i go to Disk clean up i dont have any "Hibernation File Cleaner" is this mean that i dont already use Hibernation? or i am doing something wrong?

for Recycle bin, I unreged and then rereged and now Clean temp work, i have CMD window which lanuched when i click on Clean Temp and do some stuff in it dont knwo if delete anything lolz but it seem to wrok. BUT the Erase Recyclebin Option still there :( wnad when i cehckd in Regedit i see the entry in it which still there is it normal?

The "Hibernation File Cleaner" option in the Disk Clean Up utility only shows up when it finds a Hibernation File.

The Erase Recycle Bin context menu item is'nt there by default, it's added by Eraser, if you want to remove it, just delete the Erasext key.

brilliant guide Herby

keep it up

Great tips! Thanks a lot Herby

Thanks & you're welcome! :happy:

Well, you must have done something else, the theme IS more glass, but the blur is still there though.

Try Vista Maximum Transparency, I can't recall if I edited it.

Try control.exe desk.cpl,appearance,@appearance :)

I have Windows Vista Business 32bit on another computer and I have 4 gigs of RAM.. I tried doing the BCDEdit /set pae ForceEnable from an elevated command prompt and it came back with "The operation completed successfully." I checked the system thing and it still said 3071mb of RAM. I tried rebooting and it still said the same thing. Am I doing something wrong?
Same problem for me, i have an ASUS P5B WIFI-Deluxe and 4go of ram.

I've tried BCDEDIT... and Vista 32 see only 3096mb. Tested with Memory Remap enabled or not in the bios !

Where i'm wrong ?

I have no clue,.. it should work, check the sources (MSDN & Microsoft Support).

Following on from:

Hidden Open Command Window Here Context Menu item:

If like me you want this to appear all the time navigate to:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\cmd

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell\cmd - Where Drive is the root drive letter.

Then delete the Extended string on the right hand side. Instead of deleting it I've renamed it by adding a semi-colan to the front (so it now reads ;Extended, although it doesn't matter). This way I can put it back if I ever need it.

I'm always using it, so personally prefer it this way.

Great tip for peeps that use it very often. :)

I'm using the Extended string to hide context menu items to reduce the clutter.

(Take Ownership, Show/Hide System Files & the Show/Hide File Extensions Context Menu Item)

After much searching on how to get ownership of my files I much appreciate the TakeOwn.zip! As the only one using this PC, and with my previous PC being that of W/9x which saw extensive Internet use daily for approx 7 years with only one virus (by the grace of God), i found Vista's scrupulousity unneeded. But it there a way to get the Up arrow back for navigation? I do not want to have 2 panes in every box and often i find myself dead-ended in navigation and much miss the old Up arrow. Also Vista forgets Window sizes, and sometimes View>Details settings. Thanks.

You're welcome & I'll look into it (the Up arrow, Window sizes & Details settings).

Meanwhile you can use the Backspace key to go up one level in Explorer + try clicking on the arrows and directories in the address bar. ;)

Herby! you are the man!

i use your clock, i use your styler, and im about to do that hard drive thing too!

Thanks so much for your post, i just did a generalized search on Google for "Vista Tips"

and your Thread Post was the first to pop up. Right on bro. Thanks a lot.

i actually joined this site just to send you a reply for this post :D

You're welcome & welcome to Neowin! :D

When you search for Vista Tips on Google (English), this thread is the first result and Microsoft second! :laugh:

Edited by Herby