• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Vista - Tips, Tricks & Tweaks

redrumy3    10

okay have a problem now, trying to remove shortcut arrows in 64bit vista and the one i have doesnt work, is there a special way for 64bit vista?

redrumy3    10

some reason i couldnt edit my post but anyway i found the removearrow from herby on another site and it had the ones for 64bit in it and it worked :D

RemoveArrow.zip

MtnDewCodeRedFreak    239

I have Vista Ultimate, and I found the "Use non-TPM BitLocker" on dell.com last night.

I must admit, I am excited to finally use that feature!

neohito    0

=D thank you for the takeown tips

helped deleting my old vista folders... from another vista install :p

FlibbyFlobby    0

If anyone has the reg file to add flip 3d to the right click context I'd be grateful. :)

Herby    3

The links are working again! :)

I just got my new host,.. there where some problems with the servers so it was taking a bit longer than expected.

Cheers,

Herby

Pikey    29

Very interesting ... thanks Herby!

The Right Guy    2

Move Your Documents folder to another partition/hard disk.

1. Go to your personal folder (Start "yourusername"),

post-105185-1191821665_thumb.jpg

2. Select the Document folder,

3. Right Click on it and select properties,

4. Switch to "location" tab then press move and select where you want to put the folder.

post-105185-1191821784_thumb.jpg

It will ask you if you want to move the folder if you dont you'll have 2 folder.

It can be made with all folders in your personal folder.

post-105185-1191822077_thumb.jpg

L3thal    2

^ Very good tip. That was the first thing I did after Vista finished installing on my PC.

The Right Guy    2

Yeah that way you cant lose your documents if windows fail to start :D

Allan    33

for me, I just simply make "short cuts" of the folders I have, and then paste them in my User/Documents

When you click on a folder (_JKL for example) it open D:\Documents\_JKL and shows all my files.

Mind you, I am anal retentive/obsessive compulsive with my files :rofl:

post-54440-1191823535_thumb.jpg

Edited by Allan

The Right Guy    2

The real trick here is that all application think your Documents folder are still in the user Directory

and for those who their folder size? are really big....

TheNay    1
Yeah that way you cant lose your documents if windows fail to start :D

I do that with XP too, its the same process ;)

Makes sense and it keeps you safe if windows does fail to start, lol

EDIT\\ Allan, which program are you using to have your Office / Audio Video / Internet in your taskbar? I like it :)

Allan    33

thenay: I use a program called "Windows" :p ... just follow the following steps:

1: make your taks bar 2 rows.

2: In My Documents, create folders with short cuts (Name then what ever you like)

3: right click on taskbar, highlight "Toolbars", Left click "New Toolbar..."

4: in the "New Toolbar - Choose a folder" dialogue box, navigate to the folder you just created.

5: Once you have it on the toolbar, you'll have to right click the NAME of the toolbar (or the drag point) and left click "Show text" to remove the names of the programs. Now, you can also have your DESKTOP show up - but it dosn't auto arrange.

:D

Medking    2

Regarding the nameless Recycling Bin

There is an easier way...which is to simply rename the recycle bin and then press the spacebar } and then voila...

And also the icons on the desktop, if you dont want the text to show up then rename the first one, and hold down Alt+255 and then press enter

With the second one, hold down Alt+255, spacebar, and then Alt+255 again, and then enter

Every time you have another icon, add another Alt+255 to the sequence.

I did this to mine, and then supersized the icons, and they came up very nicely...

Medking

gdstuart    0

RE: TakeOwn.reg

I installed it (plus Run as Admin) but TakeOwn doesn't give me the context menu item. However, the shortcuts that appeared after I ran Easy Transfer (which all were giving me Access Denied msgs) have disappeared from Explorer. I'm thoroughly baffled about what Easy (sic) Transfer did with my files. Is there any doc that explains in layman's terms (a lot to ask from MS) the various workings of Easy Transfer? For example, was My Documents supposed to migrate to Documents under my ID on the Vista machine? How come Windows Mail has no knowledge about my OE accounts and messages, and I have to migrate them manually?

Thanks!

The Right Guy    2

Enchanced Recycle bin menu dont work on X64 it worked before but not now :(

philosoraptor    0

Philosoraptor here. Great thread. Does anyone know how to change the icons for file types in Vista? This was possible in XP, but is absent in Vista.

photolarry    0

Control the amount of disk the System Restore points use by changing the following registry entry:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SystemRestore\cfg]

"DiskPercent"=dword:00000003

In this example, the percent is only three. The default is 15 as in the example below.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SystemRestore\cfg]

"DiskPercent"=dword:0000000F

Dannykilla    0

In regards to

Enable Data Execution Prevention (DEP) in Internet Explorer

I am the admin on my PC and the option is greyed out? So how can I elevate myself to admin when I am already one?

Thanks

Danny

bdx    0

I still can't get 4GB RAM (only 3,25GB) and I did what you said in first post. :'(

Belgsken    0

I was able to change the wav file for my windows logon sound.

But the problem is that it plays only a part of the wav file is it possible to make it plat the whole file or you can't change the amount of seconds it plays ?

Greetings

Insanor    0

Very nice thread, used many tweaks and tips from this. :)

WVT    0

Thanks for the link to the web gadgets application - I've been looking for something like this everywhere!

ereal    0

Hey guys. I've got a computer, on which someone installed Windows Vista Business. The problem is, that he mistakenly set primary (every stuff related to language) language to Latvian. Now I'm unable to set it to e.g Slovenian. What shall I do?