OMG, I got a warning! Now what?

I thought calling people a "fanboy" was against rules. I got warnings for doing so years ago but I see people do it all the time. Their posts are not removed and nothing is done about it. One of my biggest gripes with Neowin is the inconsistency with warnings and how certain things are handled.

I thought it was as well, but with the rate a lot of people keep throwing that around, I would have to suspect it isn't. There is a inconsistency problem, but I think the bigger problem is that each sub forum has it's own rules. In the news sub forum, you can't rag on any channel with silly names, but it seems that in the gamers forum you can. You can't personally attack anyone with insults, unless its in a religious thread, then it is done all the time.

I've learned from my mistakes in each different sub forum, but honestly, it is a little hard to remember what is acceptable, especially some of the silly, yet well meant rules, like the media one and not calling the channels by silly names. ( though I have that one memorized as I learned from my mistake :p )

I thought calling people a "fanboy" was against rules. I got warnings for doing so years ago but I see people do it all the time. Their posts are not removed and nothing is done about it. One of my biggest gripes with Neowin is the inconsistency with warnings and how certain things are handled.

Just using your particular example over the word "fanboy", I could quite easily understand why you feel as if the moderation is inconsistent. The problem really stems from a lack of understanding of what we're trying to achieve. To give an example, calling a specific individual a fanboy is not something we'd want to say happening (e.g. Oh my god, I can't believe you, you're such a fan boy). Equally, we wouldn't want veiled use of the word toward an individual either (e.g. responding to a comment with: "I see the fanboys are out in force again.... *roll eyes*"). Where we WOULD consider it acceptable use is in a very generalised manner that isn't directed at a particular neowin member (e.g. My friend really doesn't like my XBox, he's such a fanboy).

It's swings and roundabouts, and I can see why you feel as if the moderation is inconsistent, but all we're really trying to do is stop people from slinging insults at each other, or trying to do so with a thinly guarded veil.

• 3 weeks later...

The staff cannot read every post in every thread. We often rely on threads being reported by our members.

• 8 months later...

Yeah, contact a moderator to have them review your account.

Since this thread has been temporarily revived, does anyone know how we check our warning level? It used to be that there was a bar on our user profiles - even when at 0% - but that has disappeared now. Is that just because I have a 0% warning level, or is it because they've changed the way to check your warning level?

I don't think I have anything to be worried about, but it's always good to know. :)

If you never get a 'Warning', you are doing something wrong. ;)

Haha, yeah, I've gotten a warning 2 or 3 times in the past. Sometimes it's worth it to call someone out for being a moron, haha.

• Like 1

Since this thread has been temporarily revived, does anyone know how we check our warning level? It used to be that there was a bar on our user profiles - even when at 0% - but that has disappeared now. Is that just because I have a 0% warning level, or is it because they've changed the way to check your warning level?

I don't think I have anything to be worried about, but it's always good to know. :)

Seems they have disabled the system, else there would be a warn bar on your own posts and profile.

I can't manually access it through URL either (gives an error).

If you never get a 'Warning', you are doing something wrong. ;)

Haha, probably right. I don't think I've ever been in trouble on a forum, any forum, and still managed to get a warning here before :p

I've never had a warning as far as I know, but i sort of wish I had. I'd much rather a warning and explanation than my post just being deleted with no clue as to why.

To the OP: as others have suggested, it's best to contact a mod anytime something goes awry and you didn't intend it. (Y)

Yeah, contact a moderator to have them review your account.

I am pretty sure, I am above 0%, but I don't see it either

Could those who think they have warnings check their profiles to see if it's listed somewhere? If memory serves me correctly, some time ago it was removed from being shown on all your posts to yourself.

edit: it is in your profile: https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/865100-poll-move-post-count-to-profiles-only/

Could those who think they have warnings check their profiles to see if it's listed somewhere? If memory serves me correctly, some time ago it was removed from being shown on all your posts to yourself.

edit: it is in your profile: http://www.neowin.ne...-profiles-only/

Where does it show warnings?

I'm sure I've had one before, do they expire?

where does it show if you have gotten a warning?

Not showing up.

Where does it show warnings?

I'm sure I've had one before, do they expire?

Is your warning level displayed in your profile? It used to be. It also used to be displayed underneath your member details in your posts, but I think that was removed during the 2010 upgrade.

If your warning level is in your profile, it should appear right below your avatar on the left.

Is your warning level displayed in your profile? It used to be. It also used to be displayed underneath your member details in your posts, but I think that was removed during the 2010 upgrade.

It doesn't

I can't access my warn log by direct URL, so they have probably disabled this setting:

Allow all other non-protected groups to see their own warn level and reasons

(Under System->System Settings->Members->Warning and Moderation)

As long as that's in effect it won't show anywhere.

Heck,

I don't even know what my level is anymore. Didn't it used to show up all the time to the user? I WAS up to 80% at one time. I DO remember getting 2 reductions a LONG time ago, so should be at 40% or lower.

Edit:

No warning is showing up for me. Am I at 0% now then, and if so.............. :woot: :jump:

:woot:

Yeah,

They REALLY didn't like the word fanboy very much here it seemed!!

Edit:

I'm not seeing any warning level in my control panel either. Is that part of what's broke with the thing?