POLL: Move post count to profiles only?

Removing post count from posts  

549 members have voted

1. 1. Should we display post count only in profiles

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't care either way

This subject was brought up in the staff forums, along with warning status bar view.

On the update, members can only see their own warning status bar on their profile. In posts they have been removed, the thinking behind this was to relieve possible stress certain members might have while posting, because their warn status is right there after each post they make. Staff will still be able to see every members warning status on every forum post that's made.

The other idea was also to remove "post count" from the post view, but keep it in the profiles. This would go a long way to making posts more equal, an opinion by a member can't then be based off the post count and time span of contribution.

I was against this idea, but I think its fair to at least poll it!

So, what do you guys think?

PS: Unless there's an overwhelming vote to remove post counts from posts, we'll keep it.

The stars already give an idea of generally how many posts someone has. But I do like seeing mine in each post.

The other thing is, many people might miss celebrating their milestones if they couldn't see post count in posts.

Would you keep the Stars? And the Group associated with it?

Nope, they would be visible only in the profile.

I wouldn't mind either way, however I do not feel that displaying post counts within each postbit is crucial, nor significant, at all. Quality over quantity. :)

Wow a Tier 2 subscriber after only 1 week? Do we know you from the past or something? :shifty:

The stars already give an idea of generally how many posts someone has. But I do like seeing mine in each post.

The other thing is, many people might miss celebrating their milestones if they couldn't see post count in posts.

Yeah, but polling this is a good thing anyway, just to get a general idea before we launch.

I don't think we need to see our post count on every post we make here. Or could be an option that we could set?

I'm very for this idea and I think people would actually prefer it once they get used to it. After all, who wants to feel the need to compete in regard to post count? Doing this will remove from peoples' minds the idea that they must compete and increase their post count. Only great quality posts can come from this if it happens; I reckon there will be less of the bad quality posts if this is implemented.

How about an option to turn the feature off/on along with signatures and avatars and member.no,join data, to provide an absolute minimum of information for mobile users/minimalists?

This won't be a per-user option if we do implement it - it's either a good idea (in which case we want it community-wide) or it's not. It's not a preference thing, it's whether it's good for the health of the community.

I don't care either way. Every one of Neowin's members once had a post count of 1, and that didn't make what they had to say any more or less valid.

On the update, members can only see their own warning status bar on their profile. In posts they have been removed, the thinking behind this was to relieve possible stress certain members might have while posting, because their warn status is right there after each post they make. Staff will still be able to see every members warning status on every forum post that's made.

I say keep the warn indicator there. If some get stressed over their warning level showing (only to them) then they should put more thought into what they're posting before they post it.

The other idea was also to remove "post count" from the post view, but keep it in the profiles. This would go a long way to making posts more equal, an opinion by a member can't then be based off the post count and time span of contribution.

I was against this idea, but I think its fair to at least poll it!

So, what do you guys think?

PS: Unless there's an overwhelming vote to remove post counts from posts, we'll keep it.

IMO, I think removal of the post counts would be a good idea. Far too many times people have been ridiculed and their contribution discounted simply because they have a low post count.In that regard, the join date should also be removed.

What would happen with the stars? Would they also be hidden/removed? (I sure hope that's the case :p)

You won't see them except in the profile!

What about rappy?

With the warning, if your at around 80% then you should show it as a last warning to make sure you don't break the rules as people who already have 100% cannot make a mistake and they might forget that.

In that regard, the join date should also be removed.

I agree, those who joined later have less of a chance of people actually taking their advice. An example: I'm going to guess that not many people will listen to me and take this post seriously as I joined on the 30th of December.

I agree, those who joined later have less of a chance of people actually taking their advice. An example: I'm going to guess that not many people will listen to me and take this post seriously as I joined on the 30th of December.

Did the wind say something?/jokes

You have more than 50 days and "apparently" thats "enough" to be heard. :o

Yes, I have nothing against it.

What about the From field?

What about the "from" field? :huh: Why not remove everything and then all you will see are the posts?! :rolleyes: