NHL Hockey Thread

Forsberg headed to Predators

TSN.ca Staff

2/15/2007 7:30:50 PM

Sources tell TSN the Nashville Predators have agreed to trade Scottie Upshall, Ryan Parent, a first round pick and a third round pick to the Philadelphia Flyers for Peter Forsberg.

It is important to note that while the two teams may have agreed on the players involved, the deal is not official until it is approved by the league via a trade call involving both teams and NHL Central Registry. Sources say that call has not been completed, so it is premature to say that the deal has been finalized, only that it has been tentatively agreed to by both teams and it is expected.

Forsberg was on the ice for warm-ups for Thursday's game against the Toronto Maple Leafs, but he was scratched from the lineup.

In 40 games with the Flyers this season Forsberg has 11 goals and 29 assists. He is also leads the Flyers with a +2 plus/minus rating.

Forsberg has missed 16 games with a variety of injuries this season including a concussion, an injured groin and a sore back.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=196374&hubname=

Well with their new rookie goalie they are playing a bit better, eventhough he has let in at least 2 goals each game and up to 5 :|. It is good to see them winning a bit more though.

Well with their new rookie goalie they are playing a bit better, eventhough he has let in at least 2 goals each game and up to 5 :|. It is good to see them winning a bit more though.

Who?

There were some trades over the weekend.

Keith Tkachuk was traded to the Thrashers for D Glen Metropolit and 4 draft picks

Alexei Zhitnik was traded to the Thrashers for D Braydon Coburn

Craig Rivet was traded to the Sharks for D Josh Gorges and draft picks were swap as well.

The Atlanta GM will be fired within the next few months and if he's not the ownership there is sleeping. He overpaid for Tkachuck and Zhitnik by a lot. To make those deals work he has to go to the Conference Finals at a very minimum.

Darcy Tucker just re-signed with the TML $3m/yr. For how many years will they regret this contract? Tucker was not essential to the Leafs success and they could have traded him. Considering what Tkachuk and Rivet fetched as prices, the market is ridiculously over spending.

I am looking for Ottawa to pull the trigger on a deal. They are one good player away from being serious cup contenders.

Speaking of Ottawa, the Chris Neil hit on Chris Drury is a legal hit but vicious and the NHL needs to penalize this with suspensions. Scott Stevens made that hit his hallmark as Phaneuff is doing now. When you project your shoulder into someone's head, it is legal but incredibly dirty and reckless. Ottawa has a history of this stuff: Hossa on Berard, Havlat on Hal Gill, Peter Schaefer on Tim Connolly, Emery on Max Lapierre, and now Neil on Drury.

^^ Atlanta hasn't been a league power since... well... really since the team's been in Atlanta. You think management is going to fire a GM when they finally start winning, no matter how much he overpaid by?

The owners probably told him to go wild, and that's what he did -- it's not exactly easy getting big names to come to a crapshoot like Atlanta. Their younger players are finally starting to develop more, and now with the talent they signed in the off-season the team has some guidance. I don't see anything wrong with what happened. I wouldn't be surprised if they end up like Nashville in a few years.

The owners probably told him to go wild

This has nothing to do with Minnesota. :D

Tucker resigning with Toronto was a given. He's probably the fan-favourite here with Tie Domi gone.

^^ Atlanta hasn't been a league power since... well... really since the team's been in Atlanta. You think management is going to fire a GM when they finally start winning, no matter how much he overpaid by?

The owners probably told him to go wild, and that's what he did -- it's not exactly easy getting big names to come to a crapshoot like Atlanta. Their younger players are finally starting to develop more, and now with the talent they signed in the off-season the team has some guidance. I don't see anything wrong with what happened. I wouldn't be surprised if they end up like Nashville in a few years.

Waddell is paying for his guarantee last year. He looked like a dope last year when he made the guarantee to make the playoffs and he looks even worse this year losing what seemed to be an unassailable lead in the South. Atlanta has no defence and no depth and trading Cobourn and all those picks is actually the opposite of what Nashville did. What did Sullivan cost them? Nothing. And Kariya, Arnott and Dumont were FAs. Witt cost them little last year as did Vishneski this year. Forsberg was a heavy price but they have a good shot at the Cup. Also, convincing Tkachuk had little to do with what they traded to get him (unless of course Tkachuk has a vested interest in seeing St. Louis get as much as possible). It was probably a good pick up for Atlanta but getting Tkachuk and Zhitnik cost them a lot. I'll eat my words if they win the Cup. :p

Smith traded to Isles

Bertuzzi traded to Red Wings

Guerin traded to Sharks

A couple of big trades there, the Red Wings and Sharks seemed to have responded to the Forsberg trade by adding a few high profile players to their rosters. As for Smith, who was in the last year of his contract, i get the feeling he might go back to Edmonton after the end of this season and sign a new contract.

Waddell is paying for his guarantee last year. He looked like a dope last year when he made the guarantee to make the playoffs and he looks even worse this year losing what seemed to be an unassailable lead in the South. Atlanta has no defence and no depth and trading Cobourn and all those picks is actually the opposite of what Nashville did. What did Sullivan cost them? Nothing. And Kariya, Arnott and Dumont were FAs. Witt cost them little last year as did Vishneski this year. Forsberg was a heavy price but they have a good shot at the Cup. Also, convincing Tkachuk had little to do with what they traded to get him (unless of course Tkachuk has a vested interest in seeing St. Louis get as much as possible). It was probably a good pick up for Atlanta but getting Tkachuk and Zhitnik cost them a lot. I'll eat my words if they win the Cup. :p

My point was Nashville had a solid group of young players and slowly added key veterans in the off-season and through trades in which they give up numerous prospects and draft picks to get leadership. This is exactly like Nashville in that regard.

I think the Penguins actually got a good deal with Laraque and Roberts. Maybe I don't know what I am talking about, but I really think that having those two guys will add a bunch to the team. It will be great if they actually give Laraque some decent ice time.

Smith traded to Isles

Bertuzzi traded to Red Wings

Guerin traded to Sharks

A couple of big trades there, the Red Wings and Sharks seemed to have responded to the Forsberg trade by adding a few high profile players to their rosters. As for Smith, who was in the last year of his contract, i get the feeling he might go back to Edmonton after the end of this season and sign a new contract.

It's Smyth BTW :p. And I highly doubt he will be going back. I think they burned that bridge. If he was going to resign with them, they would have gotten it done and not traded him. The two sides just seem too far apart.

It's Smyth BTW :p. And I highly doubt he will be going back. I think they burned that bridge. If he was going to resign with them, they would have gotten it done and not traded him. The two sides just seem too far apart.

You never know... it's happened before.

Smyth isn't going back. Apparently Smyth, his agent and Kevin Lowe were disputing $500,000 over 5years (that's $100,000 a year!!) in the contract renegotiation. Smyth said he was ****ed off that Lowe took the time to negotiate big new contracts with Horcoff, Roloson and Hemsky while he left Smyth stranded 'till the last minute. Like Ji@nBing said, that bridge is burned. They're saying Smyth could fetch upwards of $6M come July 1st. About $600,000 more a year than what Lowe offered.

Edmonton really got hosed. O'Marra and Nilsson are future 3rd and 4th liners according to most analysts. Isles 1st round pick will probably go around 18th. In this years weak draft selection, that's not saying much. If Lowe intended on moving Smyth a day earlier, or even a few hours earlier, he could hvae got a lot more. 20mins before the deadline, Lowe screwed himself!

I'm going to the Leaf game tomorrow (Toronto vs Washington). I haven't been to a game in quite some time. It's usually impossible to get tickets here in T.O. (at least anything decent).