Screenshots from the latest Leopard build

They're never going to add a cheap but better than Paint application. Adobe wouldn't be very happy at all. And let's face it, Adobe generate a lot of money for Apple.

That doesn't make any sense: Both Apple and Adobe are developing basically the same type of photo editing/managing application: Aperture, Lightroom.

I doubt the OS won't be unified in the future, and I think it was confirmed that the finder would have tabs...

Aperture, Lightroom, Photoshop aren't freeware, maybe that's what he meant. By including a little freeware in OS 10.5, some users wouldn't buy Photoshop for basic image editing. I know that the Preview app will be updated a lot with Crop and Rotate, but is that all?

Bah.. if it makes developping easier, and if it makes my computer faster b ytaking advantage of the 64-bit... why not?

64 bit applications aren't necessarily faster than 32 bit versions. Compare benchmarks of the two Windows versions or any given Linux distribution to get an idea what sort of difference it makes.

If they changed QuickTime once for all, I'd be really happy... I'd be happy if they bundled a bunch of codecs with it too, not just standard ones.

QuickTime understands over 250 types of media.

They added games to the iPods, why not add cool games in Leopard, made by Apple?

There are quite a few games already in OS X, they're just buried away in places like emacs (meta-x tetris).

The problem is that they aren't very fun.

They should continue to ask themselves why Microsoft is more popular in the business world and start to do more practical stuff for the business users. (ie : they can deploy an update to a whole network, can it be done in mac os?)

Yes it can, a number of different ways.

They should add a cheap, but better than paint, drawing or editing thing.

I recall seeing a passable paint-clone in the developer tools example source folder.

. By including a little freeware in OS 10.5, some users wouldn't buy Photoshop for basic image editing.

Nobody that is spending $1000 on Photoshop would stop because Apple bundled Microsoft Paint. They could bundle GimpShop and Adobe wouldn't notice any loss in sales that would occur.

What's the point in unifying the OS? All you have to do is look at glamourware like Disco (joke that it is, one of the ugliest and most overhyped apps around and all you ever hear anyone say is 'Woo! Smoke!') and it becomes obvious that developers have thrown Apple's HIG out the window and are going to do their own thing. Unifying the OS at this point would be, well, pointless.

What's the point in unifying the OS? All you have to do is look at glamourware like Disco (joke that it is, one of the ugliest and most overhyped apps around and all you ever hear anyone say is 'Woo! Smoke!') and it becomes obvious that developers have thrown Apple's HIG out the window and are going to do their own thing. Unifying the OS at this point would be, well, pointless.

You're talking about a very small portion of the total amount of applications, of which a great percentage adapted the "iTunes/iLife" look simply because it's new/exiting and Apple hasn't given it a proper guideline. So only a fraction remains that uses a totally different look.

The point is that the system by default shouldn't include 2000 different styles without a proper explanation of how to apply them, which is currently the case. iLife '06, iTunes 7, DVD Player (on Mac OS X Leopard) and iSync (also Mac OS X Leopard) are all randomly using a different variant of the original iTunes 6 'Unified Brushed' look contained within their own package. Currently Mac OS X is one huge experimentation pool of interfaces, hopefully Apple will clean it up.

Edited by Neowave

Anyway businesses would continue buying Photoshop even if they bundled a cheap application. Why don't they just compile the paint-clone if it's passable? It'd be a small, but nice addition.

Btw, I would like to know how to deploy an update, my computers are connected wirelessly and I can't find the instructions anywhere

And still, in Windows, you can lock the installation of programs/apps, I am pretty sure you can't do it in OS X. That would help businesses choose OS X.

Quicktime doesn't even read divx or xvid, these are popular formats though that should be supported (Media player 10 and 11 don't do it either, I fail to understand why) VLC seems to support a lot more than quicktime, that's why I use both, but I hate using two apps that do the same thing. A nice thing in VLC is that you can resize and crop the video. For example, you can stretch a 4:3 video to 16:9, or you can just enlarge it and drop the bottom and the top.

I'm not talking against os x when I'm saying all these things btw, it's just that os x would become better this way for my type of use.

About disco, I love this app, but just don't like that it's all black and it looks like a widget.

Edited by PsykX

Btw, I would like to know how to deploy an update, my computers are connected wirelessly and I can't find the instructions anywhere

And still, in Windows, you can lock the installation of programs/apps, I am pretty sure you can't do it in OS X. That would help businesses choose OS X.

i guess you are looking for apple remote desktop?

Quicktime doesn't even read divx or xvid, these are popular formats though that should be supported (Media player 10 and 11 don't do it either, I fail to understand why) VLC seems to support a lot more than quicktime, that's why I use both, but I hate using two apps that do the same thing. A nice thing in VLC is that you can resize and crop the video. For example, you can stretch a 4:3 video to 16:9, or you can just enlarge it and drop the bottom and the top.

Divx (not opensource) / xvid open source codec's not included standard in the operating system. Open source they don't include, and for divx they would have to pay. Via a simple plugin provided by the divx cooperation you can play these media's via quicktime.

VLC is an opensource program, and the crop feature is just as important to me as the fact it plays all media. Rather have quicktime doing it, but the resize function for those few non-widescreen movies is a nice touch.

About disco, I love this app, but just don't like that it's all black and it looks like a widget.

The UI is ok, but not functional. When I burn an iso as dvd movie, i need to e sure it can play on the dvd player. But nowhere I can check this before I burn it. There is a lot of information not there, or unable to find easily or at all. And since I have a macbook the smoke won't work, so i don't even know what it is.

Why don't they just compile the paint-clone if it's passable? It'd be a small, but nice addition.

Just guessing, but maybe Apple figures that features worth implementing are features worth getting right and that a crumby paint program isn't something that's worth doing. The app is called "sketch" and is one of the appkit example programs. It's less like paint and more l like illustrator than I remembered it. It has basic drawing capabilities but each shape ends up on it's own "layer" and remains editable, paint is a raster application: once you put the pixels down they're there forever.

ARD and SUS worked well enough for me; the network was somewhere near 300 (?50) nodes running OS X.

And still, in Windows, you can lock the installation of programs/apps, I am pretty sure you can't do it in OS X.

Yes, you can.

Ok then I don't understand why businesses don't do the switch... There will be Vista and OS 10.5 . Businesses won't switch to vista right now because it's a hella buggy, so what's the problem with OS X? It's a thousand times more recent than Win2k or 98, and maybe more stable than 2k..

What I see is that the Spaces addition in OS 10.5 focuses on the workspace, so businesses will fall in love with this one, but what about the rest? Is it because people are already all in Windows so they won't switch because it's gonna cost too much money? I find OS X superior to windows by many points of view and developping for it seems easier (not that I can really compare, all I do is PHP).

Ok then I don't understand why businesses don't do the switch...

There's a lot more to running a corporate network that "easy to push updates" and "can lock down access to applications". Off the top of my head software compatibility would be pretty high on the list followed by the cost of new hardware, software, and re-training, finding suppliers, support contract?

so what's the problem with OS X? It's a thousand times more recent than Win2k or 98, and maybe more stable than 2k..

Not it isn't. In my experience OS X has been better than Windows 2000/XP but not thousands of times better. I'm sure people who have worked for other companies have found the exact opposite of what I have. For the majority of companies "good enough" is in fact good enough. The superiority of an operating system is the furthest thing from the folks that actually make these sorts of decisions once you have an IT staff that can take care of whatever the heck it is you're using on the desktop.

What I see is that the Spaces addition in OS 10.5 focuses on the workspace, so businesses will fall in love with this one

No, they won't. Virtual desktops have been available for all of the major desktop operating systems for well over a decade and apart form the nerds nobody has really cared. Apple has had a number of great features over the last 25 years and for the most part businesses of all types haven't given a rats ass about them.

Is it because people are already all in Windows so they won't switch because it's gonna cost too much money?

That's certainly part of it but it's impossible to know what the whole story is because it will vary from business to business. It's better to ask why doesn't Company X switch to Macintosh systems rather than speculating about the motivation of the nebulous entity "business".

Quicktime doesn't even read divx or xvid, these are popular formats though that should be supported (Media player 10 and 11 don't do it either, I fail to understand why)

Why should media players offer native support for codecs that are easily installable in a minute or two from the site of the actual developer of the codec? If Quicktime had built in support for DivX, what would happen when a new version of the codec came out? Apple would have to do a new build of Quicktime. VLC, as you mentioned, is a good player, but it does not support all of the advanced features of DivX, only the basic feature set.

Basically what I am saying is that if you want support for other codecs, the just spend a minute or two and download the codec from the developer. Why is this so difficult for you to understand?

Why should media players offer native support for codecs that are easily installable in a minute or two from the site of the actual developer of the codec? If Quicktime had built in support for DivX, what would happen when a new version of the codec came out? Apple would have to do a new build of Quicktime. VLC, as you mentioned, is a good player, but it does not support all of the advanced features of DivX, only the basic feature set.

Basically what I am saying is that if you want support for other codecs, the just spend a minute or two and download the codec from the developer. Why is this so difficult for you to understand?

Exactly, what I would like is the ability in Quicktime to read subtitles files. That would come really handy, especially if you planning to use it in FrontRow. I recall Steve Jobs during the WWDC speech mention that quicktime in Leopard will have subtitles capabilites, let's just hope it will read normal .srt files! ;)

Woah man I'm shutting up. I hate being quoted, especially after each sentence. It really traumatizes me. :s

(I was kidding about the 1000x better, I just think it's much better and used this way to say it)

Seems a new build has come out and some more screenshots are floating about.

More of the new UI has been included for developers:

picture5wj3.png

Resolution Independence is still being worked on:

http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/5008/picture6tc2.png

A redesigned Firewall preferences pane, now listed under Security.

picture1sq1.png

Firewall also alerts you itself now when an external machine tries to access a service:

picture2nl8.png

Spotlight has also had some features added to it. You can now search for dictionary definitions and answers to maths equations through Spotlight:

picture3zg1.png

picture4pg7.png

Source: AeroXP

I recall seeing a passable paint-clone in the developer tools example source folder.

Nobody that is spending $1000 on Photoshop would stop because Apple bundled Microsoft Paint. They could bundle GimpShop and Adobe wouldn't notice any loss in sales that would occur.

Sketch.app? ha!, it's a simple demo of Quartz at best.

Quicktime doesn't even read divx or xvid, these are popular formats though that should be supported (Media player 10 and 11 don't do it either, I fail to understand why)

Problem with DivX and XviD, is they are "kinda" MPEG-4 video's, but they can exceed the official specification, and QuickTime comes with a valid MPEG-4 AVC decoder, and they are probably going to stay with that (and keeping track of what other people do to their stuff is not something Apple or MS want to do)

Seems a new build has come out and some more screenshots are floating about.

More of the new UI has been included for developers:

Source: AeroXP

Sexcellent. :laugh:

Sketch.app? ha!, it's a simple demo of Quartz at best.

If you want to be anal about it, it's a demo of AppKit. It has no more to do with Quarts than Terminal or Disk Utility. QuartzComposer is Apple's demo of Quartz.

Looks like a simpler version of little snitch.

I thought Little Snitch was for when something on YOUR computer tries to send data out, whereas the firewall in Leopard seems to alert you when a different computer tries to connect with yours.

Should be a nice little service pack but I wouldn't pay for it.

And before all the Apple fans start a flame war, really think: Is the jump from 10.4 to 10.5 *really* that big? No. Is it worth $100? Not a chance.

It's similar to the jump from XP to XP SP2, except for the price tag.

A guest account? Holy crap did that ever take a long time to come out!!!

And before all the Apple fans start a flame war, really think: Is the jump from 10.4 to 10.5 *really* that big? No. Is it worth $100? Not a chance.

Well, Apple have yet to reveal all their feature set for Leopard - so at the moment the jump isn't so big, but hopefully it will be.

Radish?