Screenshots from the latest Leopard build

Yeah, but as of now, Leopard is not showing anything groundbreaking.... It's not that much better than Tiger.

Sometimes it's like listening to a broken record. Mac OS X Leopard will continue to be little special until they start showing us the complete feature list, which they haven't decided to do so.

Plus Mac OS X Leopard features full 32 and 64-bit support in just one OS today: One version, one installed copy able to run 32-bit and 64-bit applications side-by-side, no dual booting, no performance loss, no emulation.

I'd call that pretty groundbreaking since Microsoft hasn't been able to pull the same thing off with Windows. They're still messing around with two different versions: The 64-bit edition filled with backward compatibility issues when it comes to 32-bit drivers and applications.

Illuminous to replace Aqua?
Love the name. :)
Leopard features full 32 and 64-bit support in just one OS today: One version, one installed copy able to run 32-bit and 64-bit applications side-by-side, no dual booting, no performance loss, no emulation. I'd call that pretty groundbreaking since Microsoft hasn't been able to pull the same thing off with Windows.
That's true.

People do seem to overlook the really difficult stuff like the 32bit/64bit support.. I think perhaps they make it so seem almost so effortless, perhaps thats why people don't even recognise it!

Anywho.. can't wait for Macworld 2007.. the only thing to look forward to for after Xmas! :)

People do seem to overlook the really difficult stuff like the 32bit/64bit support.. I think perhaps they make it so seem almost so effortless, perhaps thats why people don't even recognise it!

Anywho.. can't wait for Macworld 2007.. the only thing to look forward to for after Xmas! :)

I agree even Microsoft themselves say how important 64bit support is going to be and how important it is, just look at Exchange 2007.

This is how Vista should have been 64bit with seemless 32bit abilities, as it stands it's a bit of chicken and egg as noone is moving to Vista x64 because there are not many drivers, not many drivers are being created because of demand.

I think this is a very important release for Apple, they now have the attention of the world, so this is their time in the spotlight to really make inroads into the PC Market.

Im not a great fan of the idea of a black UI, however until i see the final ui in action i can't really say if im going to like it or not.

Im very impressed with Tiger and can't wait to see what apple have up their sleeves.

If it is meant to be an update, not an upgrade, then paying $69 for it instead of $89 is quite a bargain. Mac Users will most likely stop complaining about the price... Heck, Windows User are already saving for their $399.99 to spend this January. It really is an upgrade not an update whatsoever...

damn i hate that gray in all mac software,yuk

The gray in all mac software? I think you mean the interface. All mac software conforms very well to the OS X interface, as all software for any OS should. Apple HIG is quite specific about this.

Which gray do you mean exactly? The titlebars?

Illuminous sounds great, even if I don't think it will be the name Apple will came to! ;)

Now I have 3 major things to wait for the MW07.... Leopard, iTV, and new iMac specs (or at least some price drops) 'cos I'm going to replace my iMac G5 with the new 24".... :rofl:

Illuminous sounds great, even if I don't think it will be the name Apple will came to! ;)

Now I have 3 major things to wait for the MW07.... Leopard, iTV, and new iMac specs (or at least some price drops) 'cos I'm going to replace my iMac G5 with the new 24".... :rofl:

I kinda hope we'll see a new iMac design in 2007.

And no I don't think Illuminous will make it as the new name either. But Apple might think the names Aqua and Aero are a bit too alike for comfort. ;)

I kinda hope we'll see a new iMac design in 2007.

And no I don't think Illuminous will make it as the new name either. But Apple might think the names Aqua and Aero are a bit too alike for comfort. ;)

Mmm I doubt we'll see a new iMac design... after all anybody has even come close to copy the iMac yet! :whistle:

By the way I'll just hope for a nice price drop! :D

Maybe you're right about the Aqua-Aero thing... and more than I hear it more than I like the name Illuminous, even if it's too close to Illuminati! :D

And no I don't think Illuminous will make it as the new name either.

"Illuminous" is a word people use by mistake when they really mean "luminous". I doubt Apple would use a non-word that shows ignorance of English as a product name given their careful use of other languages (for example the word "Expos?" uses correctly accidented characters through-out the system).

Perhaps iLuminous;))?

I can't wait for Leopard :D i'll be able to say i hate you Tiger i love Leopard :p and upgrade to it on my Macbooook :D College ain't having it back iv falling in love with it lol.

I love the fact that Apple is basically going to rip off Vista with the black (or dark) glass look and now all the fanboys are talking about how it's such a great idea...blah blah blah.

It's just funny. Perhaps someone else sees how ironic all of this is. It's the typical "Apple's s**t doesn't stink" phenomenon that has been going on for a while now ... :rolleyes:

Go ahead, flame me, see if I care. :whistle:

I love the fact that Apple is basically going to rip off Vista with the black (or dark) glass look

Are they? Do you have more information than the rest of us? I wonder if those that argued that Aero Glass was a "rip-off" of Aqua would accept your position: a copy, of a copy, of a copy? or if they'll take up the position that Aqua++?if it does exist?is a refinement or consolidation of interface ideas Apple has been working on for the better part of 10 years.

and now all the fanboys are talking about how it's such a great idea...blah blah blah.

Are they? where?

It's just funny. Perhaps someone else sees how ironic all of this is. It's the typical "Apple's s**t doesn't stink" phenomenon that has been going on for a while no:rolleyes:leyes:

Has it? Maybe you could show me, because despite five years working with Macintosh systems I haven't noticed the attitude you described as the prevailing thought. Certainly one could find fanaticism in fringe groups, but extrapolating that to describe all users of a given platform is no less dubious than describing all Americans as homophobic racists based on the writings of William Joseph Simmons.

Go ahead, flame me, see if I :whistle:istle:

Why would somebody do that?

I doubt Apple would use a non-word that shows ignorance of English as a product name

Right. Let's see, iPod, iBook, iTunes, iDVD, iCal *shudder*, iPhoto. All valid English words.

Time for Apple to buy another vowel.

You sure know your stuff.

Certainly one could find fanaticism in fringe groups, but extrapolating that to describe all users of a given platform is no less dubious than describing all Americans as homophobic racists based on the writings of William Joseph Simmons.

Who says they aren't :pinch:

I am an American (and I am neither of those descriptions), but I've seen some things that sometimes make me wonder if that description isn't too far off...

I was simply talking about my experience with the "mac community". I own a mac mini, and my experiences across the web with other mac users has been no less than a nightmare close to 95% of the time.

I am an American (and I am neither of those descriptions), but I've seen some things that sometimes make me wonder if that description isn't too far off...

I was simply talking about my experience with the "mac community". I own a mac mini, and my experiences across the web with other mac users has been no less than a nightmare close to 95% of the time.

My experience with the web community has been no less than a nightmare close to 95% of the time. I don't think it has much to do with Macintosh or Windows machines, I think it has to do with people in general. =)

Oh and I for one am an "avid" Mac user, although PC's are really good for buisness (computer consulting / repair) and I'm terrified of a black UI and if my main UI turns into iTunes 7, I'll be less than thrilled.

I love the fact that Apple is basically going to rip off Vista with the black (or dark) glass look and now all the fanboys are talking about how it's such a great idea...blah blah blah.

It's just funny. Perhaps someone else sees how ironic all of this is. It's the typical "Apple's s**t doesn't stink" phenomenon that has been going on for a while now ... :rolleyes:

Go ahead, flame me, see if I care. :whistle:

Trust me, everyone but the hardcore Apple faboys see it. Steve Jobs can talk all he wants about his "friends" whipping out their photocopiers but we all know the opposite is true. (Don't worry, though, the fanboys will back him up despite factual evidence pointing the other way)

Most of the components in Mac OS X are open source which means... ooo... are you ready for this? Apple didn't invent all the technology in OS X *gasp!* *Shock* I know, I know but it's true. Oh, sure , they changed it up a little and integrated everything and admittedly, it's pretty slick. But don't accuse "friends" of wanting to copy ideas from a 3% marketshare holder when you're guilty of photocopying yourself. (Ironically, the idea of a GUI which originated from Xerox was "photocopied" by Apple and that's why we have OS X today). And how many things came form Microsoft? I don't have a number but in Apple's OWN Server book they explain that the idea for ACLs came directly from Microsoft and anyone on this baord that's actually USED OS X Server will know that the ACL's look pretty much the same as Microsoft's. Apple even calls their little boxes "windows" so that's a pretty big compliment and acknowledgement to Microsoft.

Now I know I will get flamed too for my post even though I am arguing facts and not opinions but I guess that's what fanboys do.

The sad part is that Apple technology in and of itself is not bad. It's worth better than single digit marketshare. But it's that horirble fanboy attitude that so many Mac people have that turns people off. Who in their right mind wants to be a aprt of that sort of culture or mentality? That is sad for Apple because, although it comes from Steve Jobs, how could you stop it now? Mac fanboys think Mac is God's gift to the computer industry when in reality it's just a different box running different software than a Windows, Linux, or other kind of box.

Then didn't you just say they aren't?

I just had a quick scan through this thread and didn't see anything close to 95%?are you sure that number is correct? Purhaps you you're immersing yourself in the wrong element: like judging a country based on their day-time talk shows.

Right. Let's see, iPod, iBook, iTunes, iDVD, iCal *shudder*, iPhoto. All valid English words.

Time for Apple to buy another vowel.

You sure know your stuff.

i like it, i'm just waiting for apple to start a video site like youtube and call it itube, i'm a genius

Yawn. Microsoft fan boys.. please either contribute something useful to the thread or depart. If its of no interest to you other than to try and stir up tension then clear off.

Every company borrows off every other company. That much is certain. We haven't even SEEN what Apple plan to do yet.. this is all merely rumours so what the hell is the point on starting waging war on bloody rumours?!

Lets wait and see what Macworld 2007 has in store for us before we all start accusing Apple of copying Microsoft (hah) and vice versa.

Apple didn't invent all the technology in OS X *gasp!* *Shock* I know, I know but it's true.

Who said otherwise?

Ironically, the idea of a GUI which originated from Xerox was "photocopied" by Apple and that's why we have OS X today

The word you're looking for is "Licensed".

I don't have a number but in Apple's OWN Server book they explain that the idea for ACLs came directly from Microsoft and anyone on this baord that's actually USED OS X Server will know that the ACL's look pretty much the same as Microsoft's.

It just so happens I have an XServe G5 on my desk and a copy of OS X 10.4 Server (unlimited client licenses) handy. Where exactly in the online documentation, source code, or physical documentation will I find this?

Apple even calls their little boxes "windows" so that's a pretty big compliment and acknowledgement to Microsoft.

Menus, buttons, and windows, were defined as UI concepts before Apple or Microsoft were companies.

Now I know I will get flamed too for my post even though I am arguing facts

Nobody has been flamed, why do we have so many people trying to be martyrs?

horirble fanboy attitude that so many Mac people have that turns people off.

Can you please link posts? There's a lot of hatred for?nearest I can tell?phantom Mac users. They say a lot of crazy things and hold a lot of strange ideas. If you point them out to me maybe I can set them straight: I have a pretty reasonable background in both modern Apple products and technology and computer history.