Vista, Office 2007 cracked. Kind of.

Microsoft has had a long history of battling against piracy, ever since Bill Gates' Open Letter to Hobbyists in 1976, long before there was even a personal computer software industry to speak of. Now, Microsoft finds itself in its latest piratical engagement, with the recent cracks of Windows Vista and Office 2007, both of which just hit gold release status. Torrents of the cracks are already finding their way around pirate sites. The crack for Windows Vista (which is called "Vista BillGates") is not a true crack, as it replaces components from the final version of the operating system with those from earlier betas. This allows the would-be pirate to use a product key that worked with Beta 1, Beta 2, RC1, or RC2, with the Gold release of the operating system. This allows the OS to be activated normally over the Internet, but does not bypass the activation system itself. Microsoft had made these earlier betas available to the public on a limited basis.

The other piratical news today is that a copy of the Enterprise edition of Office 2007 was also made available on the 'Net. This version, like other "Corporate" editions of Microsoft products, uses a volume license key (in this case, Volume Activation 1.0) and does not require activation over the Internet. Of course, Microsoft has methods of fighting back against these latest leaks. The company can push updates through Windows and Office Update that deactivate the pirated copies. As the company did with Windows XP Corporate Editions, Microsoft can invalidate corporate volume license keys that have leaked out at a later date. This latter strategy worked moderately well for Microsoft?at least a few people whose pirated copy of XP had its VLK invalidated did bite the bullet and replace it with a legitimate version. Also, Microsoft can continue their strategy of using Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) to restrict access to certain non-essential updates. Internet Explorer 7 was an example of a product offered only to users who passed WGA. Microsoft's aim is to make piracy annoying enough that casual users will stop bothering with it, despite the fact that dedicated pirates will still manage to break it again and again. Still, it's clear that the battle between pirates and those who would wish to stop them is far from over.

source.pngArs Technica

No matter what microsoft does, there is ALWAYS one work around that works and allows users to get those products. Like for windows updates, users can use Autopatcher ;)

Why can't people just buy the damn software? :no:

because the can get it for free and the software cost to much but if they bought the software the price would go down

WGA in IE7 isn't that good,, my friend told me that he installed it last night on his 2k3 box and it installed even checking to see if his OS was genuine even tho it was not. :-/

but there will always be a way to get around these anti piracy methods. Where theres a will there is a way :)

Why can't people just buy the damn software?

have you seen the new topic with the office 2007 price. Why do you think?.

Some people will not go and spend around $1000 on a piece of software when they can get it for free. Heck if i had $1000 to buy a piece of software i would probably rather shoot myself in the foot than go and waste my money on it, even tho it is a very good app, but i would be thinking differently if i was in a business situation.

No matter what they do. No matter what security measures they take. No matter what Genuine Advantage crap they create, their products will always be cracked and pirated.

Where there is a will (and a need) there is a way.

If they would bring the damn prices down to a reasonable level then you might be surprised the number of people who actually pay for it. Right now though the prices and restrictions on Vista (in particular) are just ridiculous. $300-400 per PC? You can't be serious. :blink:

If they were to charge $400, for up to 3 PCs for example, then I'd be the first person in line to buy a legit copy.

Anyone who thinks that the price of software is a good reason to pirate any piece of software is an i***t. Same goes to anyone who thinks that it is alright to pirate software. Microsoft owns the rights to the intellectual property; if you don't want to buy it, use a free alternative.

Anyone who thinks that the price of software is a good reason to pirate any piece of software is an i***t. Same goes to anyone who thinks that it is alright to pirate software. Microsoft owns the rights to the intellectual property; if you don't want to buy it, use a free alternative.

Agreed

Free alternative? And what would that be?

Why can't people just buy the damn software? :no:

cuz it's to damn much $400 for 1 PC ya right whos gonna buy that

i got 4 or 5 PC in my house (most can run vista well) and i'm not paying 400 for each (not even $200)

i would pay about $400 for 3 PC or 4 PCs not 1 thats just too much

(i'm runnin rtm for 30 days just to try it. i would love to buy it just not for 400)

cuz it's to damn much $400 for 1 PC ya right whos gonna buy that

i got 4 or 5 PC in my house (most can run vista well) and i'm not paying 400 for each (not even $200)

i would pay about $400 for 3 PC or 4 PCs not 1 thats just too much

(i'm runnin rtm for 30 days just to try it. i would love to buy it just not for 400)

$400 for Ultimate, which most people don't need, they will be like "ooooh look what i got" If you cant afford the ultimate version, get one of the other cheaper versions.

linux+openoffice.org

You can't really call that an alternative to Windows. Ubuntu is alternative to Suse, and NOD32 to NAV.

With alternative OS I should be able to run all my games and software I've bought in the past.

In couple of past years I've got really f***** with MS domination and I think I won't pay a single cent from their software anymore, atleast until I have a real choise of operating systems.