Vista, Office 2007 cracked. Kind of.

+warwagon

:shiftyninja: -

post-4927-1163396481.gif

boogerjones

^^That's some pretty serious exophthalmos going on.

Somnus

This is why there needs to be stiffer penalties in place for piracy.

If I can't afford a chocolate bar, I don't steal it. If I can't afford a piece of software, I don't steal that either.

It is just common sense.

People always bitch and moan about the cost of software, yet they don't realize the cost of _making_ said software. Software authors are real people with real daily lives. Just as you value your money, so do they.

When you pirate a program that even costs as little as $25, you could be stealing $25 from someone's family. I don't care how big or how small the company is. They work hard to create the software we use, and they deserve to be paid for it.

Just as you deserve to be paid for the work you do.

L3thal

If I can't afford a chocolate bar, I don't steal it. If I can't afford a piece of software, I don't steal that either.

It is just common sense.

People always bitch and moan about the cost of software, yet they don't realize the cost of _making_ said software. Software authors are real people with real daily lives. Just as you value your money, so do they.

When you pirate a program that even costs as little as $25, you could be stealing $25 from someone's family. I don't care how big or how small the company is. They work hard to create the software we use, and they deserve to be paid for it.

Post of the decade (Y) :yes:

P!P

Post of the decade (Y) :yes:

"I disagree, it's a very good post but I think Donkey Kong for Super Nintendo is much better."

Kaidiir

Yeah, well pirating office is still more productive than using open office.

haha, true.

fire up the bootleg-o-matic.

ahmz

"I disagree, it's a very good post but I think Donkey Kong for Super Nintendo is much better."

:rofl:

badazzEVO8

because the can get it for free and the software cost to much but if they bought the software the price would go down

"but if they bought the software the price would go down"

that has to be the most moronic statement i've seen. you honestly think they will give you 'discount' if there was nobody pirating? :rolleyes:

The vista rc/beta key crack method is quite bad, as you will end up with a time-bombed vista that stops working on May 31, 2007.

there will most likely be hundreds of cracks for it by then

Update

It is just common sense.

Software developers for mssofty get paid a yearly salary regardless of sales, like Anna. Look at Anna. Doesn't Anna look happy she's getting paid 5 figures to develop Vista?

Edited by TEMPNEGROQ
coolvi

It is just common sense.

You've missed the point. I don't think many people have issues with PAYING their software but they're more displeased with OVER-paying.

It seems that the marketing people at MS still haven't found the equilibrium point on the price and demand chart seeing how many are complaining, basic economic question there for maximizing profit...

jwjw1

Anyone who thinks that the price of software is a good reason to pirate any piece of software is an i***t. Same goes to anyone who thinks that it is alright to pirate software. Microsoft owns the rights to the intellectual property; if you don't want to buy it, use a free alternative.

but look on the flip side...one reason why the price is out of reach for some..is because when MS spends millions to prevent some 'privacy' at a losing level..then try and recover the cost...but think about how many millions and millions MS made even with their practice...'pirates' are probably better at coding and hacking than any MS coder..until they hire the pirate...I don't think MS will lose any money..but probably gain a greater percentage of the market to just lower the price and not fight a losing battle..if you took the cost of what MS spent with OGA,WGA to how many illegal copies are actually being used...they lost money.

"edited to add"...I do agree that some measure has to be taken by MS to protect their software...but not at the expense of all the legit and honest Microsoft Customers...making it 'call home'...pain to update...activate...validate...patch this..update this OGA,WGA.

Edited by jwjw1
Pitreck

Why can't people just buy the damn software? :no:

Anyone who thinks that the price of software is a good reason to pirate any piece of software is an i***t. Same goes to anyone who thinks that it is alright to pirate software. Microsoft owns the rights to the intellectual property; if you don't want to buy it, use a free alternative.

Sorry, I had to register and say this, because comments like this keeps irritating me.

Not everyone lives in USA, Canada, or UK. For most people over the world Windows and Office just cost too much. For me Vista Home Basic will cost more than my month income, same as XP Home is now. And I need Premium at least, not to mention that I could take advantage of what Ultimate has to offer...

I can take 2 years loan for PC parts, that's how I'm making upgrades, but I won't do this for a piece of software. You see, every piece of hardware costs. Manufacturing, licenses, transport. Software on the other hand is a one time cost, you make it and than just duplicate it forever and sell it. No matter if MS will charge 25 or 200$ for Vista, they will make hundreds of billions on it. Hell, they would even make more money on it, if they would sell it for less. There are millions of people over the world who won't buy Windows no matter the protection that is put in it, simply because they can't afford it. And as long as they can get it for free, they won't switch to alternatives. Linux and OpenOffice aren't yet mature enough for this. Besides, there is also a matter of software people can run on Linux plus usability and eye-candy issues. Software just needs to look good and be intuitive in use.

remix17

It is just common sense.

Chocolate bar takes money and resources to make. It's a physical object. A piece of software can be replicated for free. That's how it's different. I do agree however that companies deserve to get paid for fine products they make but NOT if they charge so damn much. A lot of people simply can't afford to spend $230 on the new OS and piracy offers a good alternative. And since we can agree that any computer is useless without operating system, one is forced to either buy one of pirate one.

liquidcore

Software developers for mssofty get paid a yearly salary regardless of sales, like Anna. Look at Anna. Doesn't Anna look happy she's getting paid 5 figures to develop Vista?

So if no one pays for software that is being developed, how exactly do you think they'll be able to make all the hotfix's that arguably end up being needed for each product because some finds an exploit (and if it doesn't get fixed everybody bitches), when the money dries up? Are you going to write it? For free? Lets see how much you paid for your bachelor of sciences degree, and then we can talk about your idea of charity work.

Dave Penny,

Micosoft Software Advisor

*Great, here comes the flood of flames and questions*

PS, if your wallet is that tight, get Student XP, its free and legal

remix17

linux+openoffice.org

Linux is alternative to windows like two cans and a string is alternative to telephone.

badazzEVO8

Dave Penny,

you must be trying to get a raise

lol

liquidcore

you must be trying to get a raise

lol

nah, i get paid enough....

Xerxes

because the can get it for free and the software cost to much but if they bought the software the price would go down

People wouldn't buy Vista/Office 2k7 if it cost $1.50! remember the stink alot of people made over MS charging for the Office 2k7 public Beta downloads? many people want something for nothing.

To the "crack", that will easily be defeated by MS. Simply block all the BETA keys, so I doubt MS even care about it (since they technically don't need to do anything, the beta keys are most likely "time-bombed"). Sure people could distribute working RTM keys for people to use and/or crack the activation (as was done in XP) But Vista's activation is alot tougher then XP, but while it is definitely not unbreakable, is it really worth constantly cracking (possibly every month) just so you can have it for free? personally I'd rather pay and never have to worry about such things...

Somnus

I don't care what Anna makes.

I don't care quite frankly what Bill Gates makes.

MICROSOFT has invested more than you will ever realize into creating Windows Vista and Office 2007. The company _deserves_ to be paid for it's work.

That is like stating you won't pay $1.99 for a hot dog at 7/11 because the cashier makes $8/hr.... or the store owner made $600,000 last year.

Who cares who made what? The company sets the retail price and you either buy it you don't, but you don't steal it. That is a crime. That makes you a thief.

Whether you steal software or a piece of candy, you are a criminal. Fact is fact...

liquidcore

I don't care what Anna makes.

I don't care quite frankly what Bill Gates makes.

MICROSOFT has invested more than you will ever realize into creating Windows Vista and Office 2007. The company _deserves_ to be paid for it's work.

That is like stating you won't pay $1.99 for a hot dog at 7/11 because the cashier makes $8/hr.... or the store owner made $600,000 last year.

Who cares who made what? The company sets the retail price and you either buy it you don't, but you don't steal it. That is a crime. That makes you a thief.

Whether you steal software or a piece of candy, you are a criminal. Fact is fact...

Now you if you worked for MS you'ld sound like you are trying to get a raise

Somnus

You've missed the point. I don't think many people have issues with PAYING their software but they're more displeased with OVER-paying.

It seems that the marketing people at MS still haven't found the equilibrium point on the price and demand chart seeing how many are complaining, basic economic question there for maximizing profit...

If you feel that you are over paying, then don't pay.

No one stating you _have_ to upgrade or even use Microsoft's software.

You make the choice to pirate it or pay for it. Don't blame the company.

If I want something bad enough, I _save_ my money until I have enough for it.

$400 in the grand scheme of things is not hard to come by. That is 80 hrs work at $5/hr. Surely you can find something to pay you that for two weeks to afford Vista? No?

Pitreck

So if no one pays for software that is being developed, how exactly do you think they'll be able to make all the hotfix's that arguably end up being needed for each product because some finds an exploit (and if it doesn't get fixed everybody bitches), when the money dries up? Are you going to write it? For free? Lets see how much you paid for your bachelor of sciences degree, and then we can talk about your idea of charity work.

You can lower the price to half of what it is now and still you will be able to pay-up all your employees. I will even say more! Lowering prices to half of current state will make 3 times more people buy your product, so you will make even more money on it that you're making now.

Lets get it straight, if someone can't afford buying Windows, he/she will not do so, no matter the copy protection or how irritating you'll make it to use pirated copy.

You still don't get it, that there are countries, where you are not a student, you work 8 hours a day and earn 180-600$ per month, do you? And that's for majority of people, many of them with higher education. And no, it's not some third world. Czech Republic, Poland, Ukraine, Slovenia, Slovakia, Hungary... it would be easier to count countries that can afford it, than those who can't. And I would risk the statement, that there is over a billion of people over the world, who are using pirated Windows and would like to go genuine, but they can't afford it.

Somnus

Dave Penny,

*Great, here comes the flood of flames and questions*

Hi Dave,

I happen to agree with you.

Software requires funding. Everything that is free source eventually has money of some sort behind it, even if it is solely the author's own.

The cost that goes into creating, supporting, and then maintaining an operating system is massive. Retail cost of home user computer's simply doesn't cut it. OEM licensing, partner funding, and out-source management is required to maintain _any_ viable leading edge software solution.

While I wish I was still a student and could get Vista for free, I will shell out my money for Microsoft's products because the alternatives are still not up to speed, and software/hardware vendors will be supporting the newer versions more than the previous ones.

I run an anti-piracy website and co-operate with the SIIA. I know the struggles that software developers go through on a daily basis to protect their assets. I help a small group of authors protect their software, and while their products sell for less than $29 in some cases, I have estimated a loss of over $600,000 over 5 yrs to piracy.

These are hard working people who create their software a second job to support their families, and piracy even touches their lives.

Penalties need to be tougher for anything to be realized.

Edited by Somnus
Pitreck

$400 in the grand scheme of things is not hard to come by. That is 80 hrs work at $5/hr. Surely you can find something to pay you that for two weeks to afford Vista? No?

Again, depending where do you live. I get 8-9$ per 8h of work, so it would be about a dollar per hour. After paying all my bills I get left with about 50$ for food and clothes for whole month. Not too much to spend on software, eh? And there are about 20 million of people in my country that lives like this.