Vista, Office 2007 cracked. Kind of.

"I have done some minor upgrades to my computer in the last few years but each upgrade has taken a long time to save up for. And as for my 500 GB hard drive i purchased last week, it took me from August 2006-October 2006 to save up the $203 for that and an SATA Raid card off of newegg.com. Also, I never said my family only made $600 a month. :blink:"

Then why quote whay you didn't look into? I never said your family made $600 a month, but if you read the ENTIRE thread, you'll come to terms with the reference.... back on page four Pitreck wrote

"You still don't get it, that there are countries, where you are not a student, you work 8 hours a day and earn 180-600$ per month, do you? And that's for majority of people, many of them with higher education. And no, it's not some third world. Czech Republic, Poland, Ukraine, Slovenia, Slovakia, Hungary... it would be easier to count countries that can afford it, than those who can't. And I would risk the statement, that there is over a billion of people over the world, who are using pirated Windows and would like to go genuine, but they can't afford it."

And we're on the same page, people just want to get paid for the work they do.....

What makes me laugh is the people who say they can't afford to buy Windows yet run an SLi'd conroe rig with HD monitor :no:

True, but you can't download and crack Processors and HD monitors. If that was actually possible, ever, then people will do it.

What makes me laugh is the people who say they can't afford to buy Windows yet run an SLi'd conroe rig with HD monitor :no:

No, it makes sense that they are trying to save a few bucks. Upgrading your computer can be VERY expensive, having to shell out another $3-400 for a new operating system might be over the top.

After all these years and you still didn't get it!!!!!!!!

"Microsoft takes from the rich and give to the poor and scientific stuff" that's Bill's policy

Microsoft knows that it's being stolen by people (specially home users), but also they know any firm or institution are going to buy their legal copies to run their business legally.

Also some people like to buy the "original" dvd or cd and Microsoft lovely packages and online support ....bla bla bla ok that's it!

What about the majority of users? well, they are NOT rich and they are not going to live in the 20th century and say i'm using NOW windows 95 which is free now :p !!!!

And so:

Microsoft steal rich people and you steal microsoft, and after all Microsoft stole more than you :p

And then Microsoft donates what it stolen to give it for non-profit organizations .... etc.

The point is stealing Microsoft is normal, THEY WANT TO, However they put OGA,WGA stuff to nag your life. And finally they make high profits than you imagine because of their high prices.

lol Windows 95 free? Since when?

True, but you can't download and crack Processors and HD monitors. If that was actually possible, ever, then people will do it.

but I'm sure people still steal them

Piracy = theft.

WRONG!

Piracy may well be wrong, but it is NOT theft, it's illegally making a COPY of something, when someone pirates they do not take away the resource that was there in the first place, they've created a second resource that they then use, albeit at no cost, no effort and illegally.

Ok, how much does it cost now?! which it's out of support too

$1?

What are you talking about?

1) I doubt you can still buy it legally.

2) So what if it is out of support?

3) Find me one legitimate source (a valid Microsoft reseller) selling it for $1

This is why there needs to be stiffer penalties in place for piracy.

If I can't afford a chocolate bar, I don't steal it. If I can't afford a piece of software, I don't steal that either.

It is just common sense.

People always bitch and moan about the cost of software, yet they don't realize the cost of _making_ said software. Software authors are real people with real daily lives. Just as you value your money, so do they.

When you pirate a program that even costs as little as $25, you could be stealing $25 from someone's family. I don't care how big or how small the company is. They work hard to create the software we use, and they deserve to be paid for it.

Just as you deserve to be paid for the work you do.

When you steal a chocolate bar, whoever owned that bar is loosing what the bar cost, because that bar could've been sold to someone else. When you steal software otherwise you wouldn't buy, who's losing money? <- Microsoft knows that. That's why their anti piracy measures are never "radical".

The same article you quote (from 2002)

If you have an issue with the date of the article can provide one that shows different figures? Microsoft's 10/26/2006 10-Q filing still shows an 80% profit margin for the client division.

?indicates the various losses that divisions within microsoft are making:

So your argument is that Window should cost what it does not because that's what it costs to produce but because Windows users have an obligation to fund the Xbox guys while they figure out how to make money selling video games? Fine, I can accept that:

$68 million

+ $43 million

+ $97 million

+ 117 million

= $325 million

That's 13% of the profit from the client division being burnt up subsidizing Microsoft's other ventures. That leaves over two billion dollars in profit. The cost of developing Windows is not the reason it costs what it does. The cost of running Microsoft as a whole is not why Windows costs what it does.

Windows is priced the way it is because they (Microsoft) determined that the current pricing structure is the best way to maximize profit.

Lets not forget the philanthropic side of Microsoft:

If Microsoft want's to give away their profits so be it. That still doesn't change the fact that the price of Windows has relatively little to do with the cost of developing Windows.

I have to admit, I simply couldn't afford it, but when I could afford it and I bought a valid license. But my standard of living was pretty bad and outlaying the money was hard. I don't think I can afford to buy Vista even the upgrades are too pricey for what it is and I need 2GB new ram to run it with games (1GB to run, 1GB for games) (I have 512MB and no free slots). So i'll wait until I really need to upgrade.

Ok, let's for arguments sake that that Piracy is bad. But what about these Licence agreements? Only allowed to install it on one machine and so forth? I agree that software developers should be paid. But to pay them every time you get another computer is completely absurd.

When you steal a chocolate bar, whoever owned that bar is loosing what the bar cost, because that bar could've been sold to someone else. When you steal software otherwise you wouldn't buy, who's losing money? <- Microsoft knows that. That's why their anti piracy measures are never "radical".

Again it's not the same thing. By pirating Windows it doesn't mean someone else could have bought it, someone else will buy it anyway, since software can be DUPLICATED.

Is Microsoft losing money because people are pirating their products? Surely, but it's not because of the same thing as stealing a car, chocolate, or other stupid examples people have given.

What are you talking about?

1) I doubt you can still buy it legally.

2) So what if it is out of support?

3) Find me one legitimate source (a valid Microsoft reseller) selling it for $1

1) No, I would if I found the price of any product reasonable.

2) It means that Microsoft are not responsible that you can't run your other today applications or games on it, simply you are using old OS.... :p (Imagine you have Intel Core 2 Duo with G-Force 8800 GS and you are using Win 95 :pinch: )

3) It's distributed here in my college through a legitimate shop, copied on a CD with it's serial for $3 (students only).

4) Even if it costs $30 at least many people could buy it.

5) I'm talking about the concept not Win 95.

6) I doubt you buy ANY software legally :huh:

7) Why there are pirates then?!

8) Why people distribute their own VLK serials?

9) Why there is FireFox, Linux ...etc?

The vista rc/beta key crack method is quite bad, as you will end up with a time-bombed vista that stops working on May 31, 2007.

I'm sure you'll have had to do a complete reinstall by then anyway...

WRONG!

Piracy may well be wrong, but it is NOT theft, it's illegally making a COPY of something, when someone pirates they do not take away the resource that was there in the first place, they've created a second resource that they then use, albeit at no cost, no effort and illegally.

You must be completely obtuse.

Piracy is the resulting action (also known as robbery, copyright infringement) in that you are obtaining something through illegal means by which you have no legal entitlement. This constitutes theft, and is a criminal offense.

Copyright Infringement is a crime which carries up to a $250,000 fine and up to 5 yrs in prison. In fact there have already been precedents set where people have received sentences of up to 9 yrs in prison in some states.

Look up piracy in the dictionary and you will see the term robbery. Robbery is theft. How much clearer do you need that to be?

No, I don't buy that argument at all.

The majority of people who say "spec me a computer for ?1,000" NEVER get replies including the OS

OS should be included within your budget. If you can't afford a 7950GX2 graphics card and Windows then you'll have to make do with a 7900GS and Windows.

No excuses for piracy!!

"I'm not paying ?300 for an OS with bugs" is a classic!

Not using a valid product key is illegal

You must be completely obtuse.

Piracy is the resulting action (also known as robbery, copyright infringement) in that you are obtaining something through illegal means by which you have no legal entitlement. This constitutes theft, and is a criminal offense.

Copyright Infringement is a crime which carries up to a $250,000 fine and up to 5 yrs in prison. In fact there have already been precedents set where people have received sentences of up to 9 yrs in prison in some states.

Look up piracy in the dictionary and you will see the term robbery. Robbery is theft. How much clearer do you need that to be?

The definition becomes blurred when companies claim losses to piracy when much of that loss is unrealized. From a literal standpoint, you're right: theft is theft. However, it's not as straight-forward as the physical theft of a product. And you can argue that there is ambiguity in how wrong it is to abuse a software license.

This thread still discussing legal or illegal for piracy.

You know what, if we assume that Microsoft or any software company did an unbreakable security system for their software and no one could crack it then there are 3 possibilities:

- People will try to make free stuff WHICH MAY compete with Microsoft products. (Example: See CNet review IE vs. FF)

- Most users worldwide will go for Mac OS or Linux

- Microsoft will lose money, because they can't market their other products WHICH works on their OS WHICH most people couldn't buy it.

If we assumed that there is no OS except Windows then 1/4 of the current computer users worldwide are using computers now.

Simply, Microsoft wants to reduce the level of piracy and NOT eliminating it. In other mean, it makes the job for crackers harder, however Microsoft hope crackers to find a way to crack their software after it achieve the wanted profits first.

Edited by Elagizy

WGA in IE7 isn't that good,, my friend told me that he installed it last night on his 2k3 box and it installed even checking to see if his OS was genuine even tho it was not. :-/

Last time I checked, Windows Server 2003 didn't support Windows Genuine Advantage. Did that change?

WGA in IE7 isn't that good,, my friend told me that he installed it last night on his 2k3 box and it installed even checking to see if his OS was genuine even tho it was not. :-/

Oh, trust me, it is possible to crack WGA on ANY MS application, especially IE7 and WMP11.

why is this still open ! ? EVERYOTHER topic about the cracking of office and vista was closed so why is this till open lol

if i recall talking about warez is a no no on neowin

This is more of an ethical discussion on the topic.

I see no reason to close it as there is some really interesting dialog being passed.

This is more of an ethical discussion on the topic.

I see no reason to close it as there is some really interesting dialog being passed.

i fully agree..

its an very interesting topic and discussion

Why can't people just buy the damn software? :no:
Send me money please. I have my pc and also wife's pc to upgrade!

As I always said, if Microsoft put prices a lil bit lower, then many users would upgrade with legit copy.

as for myself, I will not upgrade xp since I have that money asked anymore