DEFINITIVE: Which Linux Distro? (poll for 2007-08)

The Definitive Linux Poll for 2007!  

881 members have voted

1. 1. Which Linux Distro?

• Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Xubuntu
    • Debian/Shift/Mepis/Knoppix/Kanotix/Xandros/Elive
    • Fedora Core/Redhat/RHEL/CentOS/WBEL
    • OpenSUSE/SUSE/Novell
    • Gentoo/Sabayon
    • Mandriva/PCLinuxOS
    • Slackware/Slax/Zenwalk
    • Arch
    • Linspire/Freespire
    • Damn Small/Puppy
  2. 2. Which destop environment / window manager?

• GNOME
    • KDE
    • fluxbox/openbox/blackbox
    • Xfce
    • Enlightenment/E17
    • IceVM
    • TWM or something equally basic
    • GUI? pft. CLI or die!
    • other
    • whatever my distro came with. Is there a choice?
  3. 3. I use Linux primarily as a...

• Desktop (for school, work, home, games)
    • Media Centre (primarily for videos & music)
    • Server (web,ftp,file/print)
    • Desktop/Media Centre Mixed Use
    • Desktop/Server Mixed Use
    • Media Centre/Server Mixed Use
    • Desktop/Media Centre/Server (I use it for everything)
    • I don't really use it for anything but learning Linux
    • Other

Arch Linux with fvwm (modified with some patches from fvwm-crystal and fvwm-themes), rox-filer, pypanel and gdesklets.

Ubuntu, Gnome-beryl and I don't really use it for anything but learning (personal leaning)... And mostly ircing :p

But sure play around with it sometimes and such.

The only problem we've had was when we went to install SLES9 on one of our servers, we got the message we were installing a 32-Bit OS on 64-Bit hardware, which isn't true. The Xeon processors we have in this particular server are strictly 32-Bit. When we went to upgrade the server to SLES10 we didn't get the message again, so I assume it was just a bug.

I had that problem withe Fedora Core 4 or 5 trying to install K12LTSP. And was on a desktop machine. Can't remember specs, but definitely not 64-bit.

I really like SLES10 though. I'll also be trying out openSUSE although right now I'm running Ubuntu at home, both with Gnome.

I actually lied on this poll. I voted Debian but I do have Ubuntu Server currently installed. I don't prefer it however, and I will probably switch back to Debian soon. So I should end up running Debian for most of the year just like I ran it (well, Knoppix) last year.
I feel for you, man. I was stuck with Kubuntu for a while due to a driver issue with Sarge. Thank god the Etch beta fixed it (I don't usually use betas, but this was URGENT). Debian FTW!

• 2 weeks later...

PCLinuxOS-KDE-Learning linux

I tried ubuntu but didn't like it very much.

After what looking around for distro's i decided to trie PCLinuxOS and that works great since the first minute.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

ubuntu on my lap dudes I try after Mandrake and works good too im not a expert user of linux but i like try different OS :shifty:

Fedora 6 / GNOME / Desktop for me :D

Never could get used to ubuntu, I didn't like the dumbing down of alot of options, and I'm not that big a fan of the apt system, I'm one of the few that PREFERS rpm to apt :o I also love the livna repos :D

I also love the livna repos :D
Really?

Must be the apps I have installed, but Livna is disabled on my box, and I only use it with the "--enablerepo" option to update my nVidia kernel module whenever I get a new kernel (just did that last night).

Livna, mixed with my other repos, horribly broke my box in very subtle ways. I was advised on another forum to blacklist livna (except for their nVidia drivers), and have been without problems ever since. The problems were bad enough to make me consider jumping from RedHat/Fedora (which I have used all my Linux-using life) to Debian.

• 1 month later...

I am no longer lying on this poll. I kicked out Ubuntu and have returned to Knoppix. Instead of a LiveCD, I have it installed (which basically means that I'm running Debian unstable). Although it is, in fact, quite stable.