DEFINITIVE: Which Linux Distro? (poll for 2007-08)

The Definitive Linux Poll for 2007!  

881 members have voted

1. 1. Which Linux Distro?

• Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Xubuntu
    • Debian/Shift/Mepis/Knoppix/Kanotix/Xandros/Elive
    • Fedora Core/Redhat/RHEL/CentOS/WBEL
    • OpenSUSE/SUSE/Novell
    • Gentoo/Sabayon
    • Mandriva/PCLinuxOS
    • Slackware/Slax/Zenwalk
    • Arch
    • Linspire/Freespire
    • Damn Small/Puppy
  2. 2. Which destop environment / window manager?

• GNOME
    • KDE
    • fluxbox/openbox/blackbox
    • Xfce
    • Enlightenment/E17
    • IceVM
    • TWM or something equally basic
    • GUI? pft. CLI or die!
    • other
    • whatever my distro came with. Is there a choice?
  3. 3. I use Linux primarily as a...

• Desktop (for school, work, home, games)
    • Media Centre (primarily for videos & music)
    • Server (web,ftp,file/print)
    • Desktop/Media Centre Mixed Use
    • Desktop/Server Mixed Use
    • Media Centre/Server Mixed Use
    • Desktop/Media Centre/Server (I use it for everything)
    • I don't really use it for anything but learning Linux
    • Other

I guess it's all relative. Xfce is light compared to KDE or GNOME (although not as light as it used to be), but the *box WMs are considerably lighter still as they're not full blown desktop environments.
Yeah I always thought XFCE seemed like a lightweight gnome so I've never used it

Feisty with Gnome, once KDE4 drops i might give it a try. Since i started using linux i have always used gnome. Mostly use it for school and as a regular desktop, but hopefully soon enough i can also use it as a file server and media center.

I've never liked Ubuntu as a distro, as I have found it to be both buggy and hard to deal with.

I use Fedora and OpenSuSE, they are very stable, and support RPM (my method of installation, suprisingly). I haven't used Linux in a while, though, but I am reinstalling OpenSuSE 10.1 tomorrow onto my laptop (as a 2nd OS).

In Fedora, I prefer GNOME. On Mandriva, I use KDE. On OpenSuSE, I use GNOME.

• 3 weeks later...
so Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Xubuntu is the top clients which of the 3 is the best ?
There is no "one best". The primary differences between them are whether you prefer the KDE environmnet, the Gnome one, or XFCE.

• 1 month later...

Ubuntu is the best! No other distro can be matched to it in terms of easy use. Maybe other distros can do more stuff than Ubuntu. Yet Ubuntu is really easy to learn and installation of softwares are soo easy! Kubuntu is the same as well. Anyway the poll proves it!

Ubuntu is the best! No other distro can be matched to it in terms of easy use. Maybe other distros can do more stuff than Ubuntu. Yet Ubuntu is really easy to learn and installation of softwares are soo easy! Kubuntu is the same as well. Anyway the poll proves it!

+1! or Gentoo for non newbies ;)

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Do we need to reset this poll for 2008? If so, are any changes required?

Edit: To the person who asked where E17 was on the poll. It is listed as "Enlightenment".

Do we need to reset this poll for 2008? If so, are any changes required?

Edit: To the person who asked where E17 was on the poll. It is listed as "Enlightenment".

I'm going to leave this poll intact since it all still seems relevant enough. We'll certainly need a new one for next year.

I also edited the poll to rename the "Enlightenment" option to "Enlightenment/E17".

• 2 weeks later...

I now use Arch on my PC.

I've also used Ubuntu, Debian (still my <3 distro) and Gentoo.

I use Fluxbox, and i love it. It's, imho, a lot better than GNOME or XFCE. I don't like KDE nor E16/17.

• 3 weeks later...

We use Fedora with the KDE interface at school, and while I still don't know much about the OS per say, I must the interface is incredibly archaic and crude, compared to OSX or Vista or even Windows XP, but anyway we do a lot of the work from the "Konsole" so I guess it's less of a concern. Oh, and don't get me started on KWord, wtf is that piece of junk? I don't know how I could work without Open Office, and even Open Office isn't that great at all when you've seen Office 2007... Anyway, I suppose Linux is "superior" at a lot of things I've yet to discover, but my initial impression is pretty bad. Maybe someday I'll be using it for very specific things, but not for my usual tasks.

Just to show I'm actually nuanced and impartial, my friend uses the Gnome interface and it looks a lot more decent.

I voted Debian, even though I use Ubuntu on my desktop at the moment. I don't really use Ubuntu because it's Ubuntu, I use it because it is Debian if that makes sense... I have 1 Ubuntu box, 2 Debian boxes and my other box which I mess around with which currently has Debian and Arch on it.

Errrm... Remove one "Fedora" vote and add it to *buntu for me.

Switching distros, but keeping my same love of Linux and of Fluxbox. :wub:

• 2 weeks later...

Using Opensuse 10.2 with gnome. Its a pretty decent system. Main reason for using it is cause I can get the novell client working on it with ease.

Play around with KDE every now and then. Just cant get into it. Gnome is far better for me. Might try KDE4 soon.

• 2 weeks later...