DEFINITIVE: Which Linux Distro? (poll for 2007-08)

The Definitive Linux Poll for 2007!  

881 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

afusion

I've been using Ubuntu for some time on and off

but I'm wanting to try SuSE and see how that works out for me.

PT 13

Ubuntu with GNOME

Using it (ATM) as my music server in my house

+Gary7

Suse 11.0 KDE. I also like PClinuxOS but it was not on the list.

redvamp128

Currently I have installed in MSVPC2007 Puppy Linux and DSL . Last weekend I decided to try the Latest Ubuntu Release... It has gotten better than the 5 release I tried before- I also added on that computer (physical computer) Puppy 3.01 and Puppy 4.0. For me though it seems that Puppy Linux has a lot more built in Applications than Ubuntu. (though if I could ever get it online it seems like it would have more)

Narlzac85

Using Ubuntu and Gnome mostly and do most of my computing stuff on it even though its my slower computer at the moment (The server rig in my sig, but that motherboard fried and was replaced with a cheap one and I sold the CPU and threw my old 4000+ back in). I feel like the current release is broken in many ways, but it does work very well for the most part. I considered using Arch and tried it in a VM, but I'm too used to the ubuntu way (and spoiled by all of the great community support)...so for my next install, I plan to start from the Ubuntu minimal installation and work my up from that to avoid all of the junk the comes in the Ubuntu-desktop package. I'm also highly impressed by XFCE's performance on my brother's really slow laptop. So much variety keeps me occupied with linux.

redvamp128
Using Ubuntu and Gnome mostly and do most of my computing stuff on it even though its my slower computer at the moment (The server rig in my sig, but that motherboard fried and was replaced with a cheap one and I sold the CPU and threw my old 4000+ back in). I feel like the current release is broken in many ways, but it does work very well for the most part. I considered using Arch and tried it in a VM, but I'm too used to the ubuntu way (and spoiled by all of the great community support)...so for my next install, I plan to start from the Ubuntu minimal installation and work my up from that to avoid all of the junk the comes in the Ubuntu-desktop package. I'm also highly impressed by XFCE's performance on my brother's really slow laptop. So much variety keeps me occupied with linux.

I think the release you are looking for is this. It has XFCE.

http://www.xubuntu.org/

If I can ever get Ubuntu to play nice with Road Runner- (get online) I am going to download the XFCE for it.

Jon 5

I am currently using Sidux which is a rolling release distro based on Debian Sid. It makes it possible to run a stable Debian Sid distro so you are always on the bleeding edge and I never have to reinstall or do a big upgrade every 6 months. It installed in around 5 minutes for me which is blazing fast. It is my new distro that I have been using on my desktop and laptop for the past several months.

• 4 weeks later...
Spacce

I recently switched from KDE to GNOME

Using Ultimate Edition (Ubuntu)

http://ultimateedition.info/

I use to be a hardcore KDE fan since KDE 2 through 3.5

but KDE 4 did not do it for it for me

• 2 weeks later...
FrankWhite

This is my breakdown of OS usage:

OSX: 65%

XP: 30%

Ubuntu: 5%

I just slapped the latest Ubuntu on to a virtual machine. I've been meaning to check it out for sometime and I finally made the jump. Time will tell how long I stay with it. Stay tuned.

markjensen
I wonder when this poll will be updated for 2008-2007

At the end of 2008, it will likely be closed, and a 2009 poll opened.

• 1 month later...
White Cuban

my linux life took a big 360 here.

FreeBSD to death.

some buntu tho still for a strong desktop, but anything with serv in its name, freebsd is my way.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Denholm

Ubuntu (Mint Linux)

Gnome

Desktop/Media Centre Mixed Use

(Y) I was a pure Ubuntu fan until earlier today - when I discovered Mint Linux (Based on Ubuntu) - Amazingly great, all the plug-ins etc already installed and setup, very little fiddling needed. Did have to install a Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi - but it was easy enough.

markjensen

Close this and make a new poll?

Or update it to say 07-08-09?

i_was_here

If theres gonna be a new poll, add CrunchBang Linux as a choice :whistle: KTHXBAI

• 2 weeks later...
MindTooth

Arch Linux with GNOME would be the preferable.

Birger :)

Syanide

Currently Wolvix 1.1.0, XFCE, I'm loving it so far, the only one that really worked (actually writing this from it). I like CrunchBang, too, and over the past month or so, I've tried half a dozen distros. I had problems with wireless, but if that hadn't happened I'd probably stick with either Ubuntu/CrunchBang or Fedora. Still need to check out Sabayon...