DEFINITIVE: Which Linux Distro? (poll for 2007-08)

The Definitive Linux Poll for 2007!  

881 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

rand0m.bullet

running archlinux and gnome atm

cork1958

Zenwalk 5.0 and xfce on 3 desktops and Blag70000 and xfce on the other 3.

Knife Party

Ubuntu with gnome, and simply lovin the feelin :D

Zoea

Stuck Ubuntu 7.10 on this, but it didnt like XFS+Grub and EXT3 was wasting a lotta space.

Woulda tried shift but no X86_64 version! Doh! :)

Now trying arch linux, nice and speedy, very lite with xfce4, but having trouble with my own kernel and dynticks code (interrupt 3 errors out on my marvell onboard lan). Gonna try another kernel build to sort this today, hopefully without having to go with nohz option. Arch seems a nice cross between gentoo and mainline distros, with the dual installers (pacman or build from source) interesting :) JFS is really fast too, nicer to the disk then XFS imo also. Made some CFLAGS changes :)

So I'd have voted with arch personally! Well, today :huh:

Zoea

(for our readers!)

Fixed this in the BIOS by setting my Audigy 2 ZS to another main IRQ (was sharing with marvell LAN IRQ) and turned off PnP (reserved IRQ3).nohz=off didnt help! dmesg is happy again...

Nice to have my IRQs a bit more sensibly used anyhow.

Using Arch now, pretty speedy!

• 2 weeks later...
Youdontknowme

I been using Ubuntu for the past moth. Recently installed opensuse 10.3 and I really like it is stable and looks professional. :cool:

Glen

openSuSE 10.3 / KDE 3.5.7 / Compiz-Fusion

Just started working with it this past weekend and I'm very much a noob on Linux. However, the install was easy and the distro appears to be solid.

I'm keeping my dual boot with Vista, so I won't be a "convert" anytime soon. :cool:

bat21win

Ubuntu. Gnome. Though I also have the Kubuntu base installed for KDE.

I've tried a ton of different distributions, and I keep coming back to this one. Only thing I don't use it for is gaming.

SevenForever

Currently using Linux Mint. Love Ubuntu, but I find that Mint is going in a little different direction that I like so far. Plus is comes with the w32 codecs already installed, a near insignificant but nice bonus. I used to use Mandriva for all my installs but found the community and guides around Ubuntu to be more plentiful and ultimately persuaded me over. Also using Gnome right now with a few compiz-fusion effects.

yanowhiz

Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy. Waiting for the final of 8.04! :)

• 2 weeks later...
Vince800

OpenSUSE 10.3 KDE.

torkl

Debian Etch Gnome/Compiz-Fusion :D

SLeeM@N

I'm using Arch for over 3years now and I'll stick with it for a while... desktop I don't care about that but anyways for the stats im using kde (3.5.9) mod . I use Linux everywhere now home & work as server or desktop.

Malbojia

Using Arch Linux. Getty Mode and serves as smb file server / DLNA extender.

-Vivicidal-

Ubuntu + Fluxbox = Lightning fast.

I fried my Ubuntu HDD last month :( But my new one comes soon! :laugh:

Linux is great for server stuff at home and doesn't screw up by just running for a while.

Fred Derf

I've switched* from Knoppix with GNOME to Knoppix with KDE4.

On the P3-800Mhz laptop that has only 192MB RAM, I use Knoppix with Fluxbox.

Edit: When I say "switched" I simply mean that I have KDE4 selected as the default login choice. I didn't need to reinstall Knoppix or anything.

markjensen
I've switched* from Knoppix with GNOME to Knoppix with KDE4.

On the P3-800Mhz laptop that has only 192MB RAM, I use Knoppix with Fluxbox.

Edit: When I say "switched" I simply mean that I have KDE4 selected as the default login choice. I didn't need to reinstall Knoppix or anything.

I found that I preferred KDE over Gnome when I used them.*

I used flux to get extra performance out of my aging box, and fell in love with it **, so now I use it for my new rig. I would have to rank XFCE as my next favorite, though, above KDE and Gnome.

*This was back about 5 years ago, so both KDE and Gnome have advanced since then.

** When I say "fell in love", I obviously meant it figuratively.

Fred Derf

KDE4 > GNOME > KDE3

I am not much of a fan of KDE 3.x

• 2 weeks later...
Dr.bAsem

ubuntu is a very good choice easy user interface .. u can practically hit the road runnin when u just installed it ..

it just needs a lil bit of getting used to at first ..

• 2 weeks later...
wellofsouls

Arch Linux the best (IMHO)

currently I'm using latest KDE4 trunk as I'm testing and developing for it.

only if SCIM can work in KDE/Qt apps as good as in GNOME... :shiftyninja:

• 1 month later...
lithiumx

Fedora 9 with GNOME.

I've used Fedora pretty much exclusively since Fedora Core 6. Red Hat 7 was my first experience of desktop Linux, and since then I've always felt comfortable with Red Hat/Fedora systems.

sensurround

If I am going to do any serious work on a Linux box, I have to install Gentoo, it's just in my blood. I know it's terribly inefficient and overly complicated when compared to something like Ubuntu (which is an amazing distro in its own right) but it was my first distro and the only one I'd say I know inside and out.

If I want an install to be up and functional at the drop of a hat, I'll install Ubuntu. My parents rock Ubuntu, it's perfect for every day computing.

In any case, I tend to use Gnome. I love Fluxbox and Ion 3, but I usually come crawling back to Gnome just because it seems more efficient to have the whole "Desktop Environment" package. If I am installing for someone else, they get Gnome. It's just less hassle than KDE. I know this comes at the cost of less configuration options, but really the people I'm installing for are better off having less options to frak with.

In the end though, it comes down to what you are comfortable with. If you want to use TWM 24/7, awesome, more power to you. If don't even want to install an X11 server, great. If it works for you, it works.

CitizenSmif

Those results are quite interesting, how many people that just use linux to to try it/learn about it! Thinking about it, I suppose thats all I really used it for also. But when the compatibility for Windows software becomes better (or developers start developing for linux more) then I will probably go to linux full time instead of the Vista and beyond route.

saurav

It's Debian for me.. Etch (the current stable version) doesn't come with the latest and greatest packages (compared to Ubuntu) but APT-Pinning it with the Unstable/Testing repos solves that problem to an extent.

As for the Desktop, I've never liked anything other than KDE!

• 3 weeks later...
revvo

Ubuntu for now on my laptop. This is mostly personal, not for work or anything, just to get back into the groove :p

I will eventually hit Arch Linux or Debian Etch. I'm aiming for a more minimalist distro with more control over the installation and configuration but with a good and updated packaging system, so that might do the trick.

Heck, I might consider even Slackware, ok maybe not, I don't have that patience anymore :rofl: