DEFINITIVE: Which Linux Distro? (poll for 2007-08)

The Definitive Linux Poll for 2007!  

881 members have voted

1. 1. Which Linux Distro?

• Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Xubuntu
    • Debian/Shift/Mepis/Knoppix/Kanotix/Xandros/Elive
    • Fedora Core/Redhat/RHEL/CentOS/WBEL
    • OpenSUSE/SUSE/Novell
    • Gentoo/Sabayon
    • Mandriva/PCLinuxOS
    • Slackware/Slax/Zenwalk
    • Arch
    • Linspire/Freespire
    • Damn Small/Puppy
  2. 2. Which destop environment / window manager?

• GNOME
    • KDE
    • fluxbox/openbox/blackbox
    • Xfce
    • Enlightenment/E17
    • IceVM
    • TWM or something equally basic
    • GUI? pft. CLI or die!
    • other
    • whatever my distro came with. Is there a choice?
  3. 3. I use Linux primarily as a...

• Desktop (for school, work, home, games)
    • Media Centre (primarily for videos & music)
    • Server (web,ftp,file/print)
    • Desktop/Media Centre Mixed Use
    • Desktop/Server Mixed Use
    • Media Centre/Server Mixed Use
    • Desktop/Media Centre/Server (I use it for everything)
    • I don't really use it for anything but learning Linux
    • Other

I just tried the latest version of Sabayon..

I'm highly impressed

I might be considered sick and twisted but I actually kinda enjoyed the long installed of gentoo.. (told ya!)

Anyways.. the graphical install is pretty easy, detects most of the hardware (HP dv6000z laptop, AMD Turon64 X2 processor etc) , only thing I doesn't like its my wireless, which is just a general linux problem is seems..,

automounts work, which is pain (imo) to configure in regular gentoo

nVidia drivers are automatically setup, not the generic kind..

so three thumbs up

Ubuntu :wub: (been using Feisty since Thursday, currently writing a review from the point of view of a Linux n00b :p )

GNOME :wub: (is it me, or is KDE too glossy?)

Desktop/Media Center :wub:

Ubuntu Feisty? You better believe it!

Gnome and I use it for everything... successfully converted my sis to use it too... Yay for me! :D

Trying out Linux Mint 3.0 now (Based off of ubuntu) it's quite good, comes with many multimedia codecs, has played every file I've thrown at it, comes with compiz and beryl, so the only thing I've needed to install is nvidia drivers. It also has a very polished gui and an intuitive menu. It comes with Flash, Java ect.. too

Edited by ViperAFK

ive used Mandriva and i loved it. then i used Fedora Core 5 for the longest time, and i loved it... except the fact that it freezes during updates and i cant ever get it to update.

and now that new versions of Fedora Core and ubuntu are out (version 7 and 7.04) im trying out both. i tried out ubuntu for the first time... and i dont like it at all. i found that FC5 and Mandriva were waaaay easier to configure. maybe its just me.

i also tried to stick with ubuntu since its SO popular but it just doesnt work for me. i want to try out PCLinuxOS too and see how that works out.

with Mandriva, i first came across KDE and i loved it so much. since FC5 uses gnome (has option for KDE) i got used to gnome.

right now im downloading FC7 (first time i downloaded, it timed out!!) because ubuntu is a bit frustrating.

• 3 weeks later...

speed, rolling release, (debian's not really lacking this but) the amazing community backing it, the AUR/ABS. I like having more control than what i felt i was given in debian. dont get me wrong, i still have debian installed on my desktop, but when/if something goes wrong it will be replaced with arch. my server on the other hand will stay debian unless i wanna try out freebsd, which i probably wont be.

I use Archlinux with Xfce for day to day use. I generally switch to a light WM like Fluxbox when I'm doing recording.

Xithium isnt XFCE meant to be lightweight too?

I guess it's all relative. Xfce is light compared to KDE or GNOME (although not as light as it used to be), but the *box WMs are considerably lighter still as they're not full blown desktop environments.

I'm using Ubuntu 6.10(I know I need to update but haven't gotten to it yet) and the WM's I use are KDE, Gnome, and Enlightenment. I picked Enlightenment, even though I use Gnome way more than Enlightenment, because its so damn cool to mess around with. :D I'm not sure why I have KDE installed. Only used it maybe once. :laugh:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...