UCLA student abused by the cops (horrible video)

Ok... these articles are different than the one a friend showed me. The one my friend showed me stated that upon being asked to leave he started claiming they were being racist and tried to "rally the other students to his cause" ...

I'll see if I can find it to post.

Well, those cops deserve some punishment. They should be tazered while handcuffed, and then someone shold ask tehm to stand up, if they fail to complain give them another shock.

It doesn't matter if he was being an ass or not, the law enforcement should not lose their cool. You don't go around beating up people because they were being an ass, do you?

this is true. these police were totally incompetent. if they arent ashamed of their behaviour they simply arent human. if they arent punished then there is no justice

what shocks me even more is people here who laugh at this sort of thign. its bad enough when it happens in oppressive countries like iran and china, but the united states of america? supposed banner carrier for freedom? [looks more and more like poster child............................. :no:

btw i already wrote to ucla to tell them how sickened i was by this whole thing

I'm a bit confused how this stuff is arranged in the United States. It seems that the UCLA Police Department are fully sworn police officers with equal powers to municipal officers. If that is true then who pays them? If they are paid by a private organization (UCLA) then I find this a very scary prospect.

In Canada, it is possible for campus police to have "special constable" powers which allows them to write parking tickets and do some basic things but they are overseen by the province and run by the managed by the local municipal force. In Canada, a campus police officer would only contain the situation for a few minutes until a real police officer arrives. They do have the power of arrest and release but aren't encouraged to use it.

This whole situation is absolutely disgusting to me and it wouldn't matter to me if he was white. The campus police acted like Neanderthals when must less violent options were possible.

Now there's going to be a huge lawsuit and the guy has 60 witnesses:

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2006/11/17/...ent_Stunned.php

I don't see the need for brutal violence unless someone was in imminent danger. I failed to see the danger of the situation and I hope he wins.

i don't know about them having equal power to the "regular" cops, but UCLA is a private university, they run their own show.

The college i got to, we've got our own police department, but they don't carry any weapons except for hand cuffs and a radio, but there's always one sheriff on campus.

i hope he wins too... that'll be nice, pay off his tuition and possibly his load cuz those are expensive.. if they kick him out.. oh well.. there's always USC, Pepperdyne, Berkley, San Diego... and a few others..

i don't know about them having equal power to the "regular" cops, but UCLA is a private university, they run their own show.

I really don't like the idea of private cops with full police powers.

Police officers of the UCLA Police Department are duly sworn peace officers under section 830.2(b) of the California Penal Code. The officers of the department are armed and possess the same authority under the law as municipal police officers.
- http://www.ucpd.ucla.edu/ucpd/about_mission.html

This isn't the article shown to me by my friend, but it does say some of the same things... it can be found here: http://www.nbc4.tv/news/10344519/detail.html

Some quotes are:

UCLA said Tabatabainejad refused repeated requests by a community service officer and campus police to provide identification or leave the computer lab. Officials said the police decided to incapacitate Tabatabainejad with the Taser after he urged other library patrons to join his resistance.

and

Yagman told the Los Angeles Times that Tabatabainejad declined to provide the requested ID because he thought he was being singled out because of his Middle Eastern appearance.

Now I'm not saying that what happened was right, but I am saying I believe there's more to this than is being reported. I don't think this guy was as innocent as everyone believes him to be.

This really makes me mad :angry: I would beat the sh!t out of this pseudo-police a**holes, the guy is tasered and told to stand up at he same time, while he can't, he is treated with electric power, he is shocked, unable to do anything besides of screaming of pain and swearing. It doesn't matter that the guy acts like an ass, yelling and throwing F words, in this situation I would act the same as him. Those cops deserve the punishment!

as stated before, he could have just got up and left. but he choose to resist and start talking about the patriot act and ****

that crowd only got angry because he's middle-eastern

and what's the point in asking the police thier badge numbers & info while they are in the middle of the incident?

take out the people that were up in arms becuase the guy was middle-eastern, and take out the morons that were badgering the cops for info while they were dealing with the situation, take out the over-sensitive girl that was crying because someone was being tazzered, and finally take out the people that are ****ed at bush and the patriot act and you are left with like 5 people.

people resist arrest all day, every day. this is nothing special or to get up in arms about. jsut a moron who automatically assumes he is being singled out and wants to "fight the man" :rolleyes:

people resist arrest all day, every day. this is nothing special or to get up in arms about. jsut a moron who automatically assumes he is being singled out and wants to "fight the man" :rolleyes:

But they can't arrest you for resisting arrest. What was he actually charged with? Trespassing? No.

Ultimately they charged him for obstructing a police officer (presumably for going limp) and then they added resisting arrest. I don't think that will hold up in court for a second.

If he had actually committed a crime or was a danger to the public then, yeah, go at him. The concept that he was being tazored for resisting arrest before he was arrested, however, is just silly.

I personally would be equally aghast to see this happen to anyone or any skin colour. This type of thing certainly doesn't happen everyday and if it does then I'd be moving to a more civilized place.

Those cops need a serious reprimand and I hope he wins in court.

i had to close that clip after the first minute or so , made me sick watching it. No matter race/religion/skin colour were all human beings. Was it necessarry to shock him ? whatever happened to just cuffing him and dragging him out ?

But they can't arrest you for resisting arrest. What was he actually charged with? Trespassing? No.

Ultimately they charged him for obstructing a police officer (presumably for going limp) and then they added resisting arrest. I don't think that will hold up in court for a second.

If he had actually committed a crime or was a danger to the public then, yeah, go at him. The concept that he was being tazored for resisting arrest before he was arrested, however, is just silly.

I personally would be equally aghast to see this happen to anyone or any skin colour. This type of thing certainly doesn't happen everyday and if it does then I'd be moving to a more civilized place.

Those cops need a serious reprimand and I hope he wins in court.

the kid wouldn't give any ID and then refused to leave the library. when the police came to get him, he resisted. then he was arrested

@andy: dragging someone out in handcuffs that is resisting you is a very hard thing todo. easiest way would be to drag him by his arms behind his back, but that would f up his shoulders and then he'd sue. so they tazer. and smart people realise they can either stop resisting, or get electrocuted for however long it takes. the student choose to be a moron and resist.

whats the difference ? hes still suing/going to sue isnt he ? if the guy was dangerous i.e carrying a knife or a gun or was strapped with c4 i could understand then tazing him would be acceptable force but as far as i can see good old fashioned cuffs behind the back and carry him out would have sufficed. You watch that clip again and tell me when that guy screams in pain it was acceptable force ? i dont think so :no:

the kid wouldn't give any ID and then refused to leave the library. when the police came to get him, he resisted. then he was arrested

He was never charged with trespassing. You can't charge someone for resisting arrest unless they are already under arrest. What was he arrested for?

@andy: dragging someone out in handcuffs that is resisting you is a very hard thing todo. easiest way would be to drag him by his arms behind his back, but that would f up his shoulders and then he'd sue. so they tazer. and smart people realise they can either stop resisting, or get electrocuted for however long it takes. the student choose to be a moron and resist.

He didn't resist, he went limp. More than one officer was present. They could have easily lifted him into the air. Thus there was no need to drag or tazor.

More than one officer was present. They could have easily lifted him into the air. Thus there was no need to drag or tazor.

He could have had a disease and spit or bit them. Taser him to be safe.

He could have had a disease and spit or bit them. Taser him to be safe.

Cops are supposed to have training to recognize who is likely to be dangerous and who isn't. That's why they make the big bucks. Their job, by its very nature, assumes a certain element of risk. The point was they weren't doing their job properly. You can't what-if this into next week.

Cops are supposed to have training to recognize who is likely to be dangerous and who isn't. That's why they make the big bucks. Their job, by its very nature, assumes a certain element of risk. The point was they weren't doing their job properly. You can't what-if this into next week.

I was unaware that anyone could visually detect someone with a disease. Why have doctors and blood tests then.

I was unaware that anyone could visually detect someone with a disease. Why have doctors and blood tests then.

What a stupid statement, so its ok to shoot or taser someone because they might have a disease?

He didn't resist, he went limp. More than one officer was present. They could have easily lifted him into the air. Thus there was no need to drag or tazor.

he did resist. they told him to get up and go with them MULTIPLE TIMES and he refused. only then did they tazer him.

it's simple. get up and leave, or get tazerd. he choose to get tazerd

why get 6 officers and risk danger to lift a guy up that is resisting you? much easier and safer to tazer the moron untill he learns that you don't get to resist police just because you feel like it

@shepard: yes. better to tazer someone that's resisting then risk getting aids because the guy chooses to bite you. why would you care about the moron resisting the police, over the safety of the police?