Halo 3 Television Advertisment

But wouldn't you say that introducing characters in the trailer is a far more important aspect than a 'cinematic' sprint?

I'm pretty sure that the kids were a flashback while Master Chief was recovering from his destroyed warthog/blast/crash. Not only because I think the boy is John, but because when the kids were talking it was night/dark out and when the scene changes to show Master Chief it is the middle of the day/bright out. So I think it's safe to assume, at least, that it's a different time-frame and it becomes increasingly likely that it is a flashback.

Well the largest proof that the kids are connected to the story somehow is when the girl says "Time to go". Not sure how it would fit in though as why would a little girl say that when he's in the middle of combat?

the fact that when the boy is laying in the grass, talking, it switches to first person view of the boy suddenly seeing a helmet and then getting into te action in first person as john is enough to suggest the little boy is john. imo

Link?

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3155651

It's important to note that Master Chief activates an item (with the press of the X button?) and perhaps the Shield Grenade is just another new grenade -- after all, Bungie introduced the Spike Grenade last month. It's entirely possible that the sprint that Master Chief breaks into after creating the shield is the actual deployment of the 'X' button -- a sprint or a dash was one of the scrapped features from Halo 2. But, Bungie told 1UP during its visit that the X button was not a dash. They wouldn't lie to us, would they?

I think if Bungie left the mysterious X button to sprint, they would probably get mobbed by the millions of Halo fans. I can't wait to see what they do with it.

On a related note: How do you pronounce "mjolnir"? I just can't find any site or article that explains how to pronounce it.

I think if Bungie left the mysterious X button to sprint, they would probably get mobbed by the millions of Halo fans. I can't wait to see what they do with it.

On a related note: How do you pronounce "mjolnir"? I just can't find any site or article that explains how to pronounce it.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/mjolnir

Back to the basics :p

Mjol?nir /ˈmyɔlnɪr/ [myawl-nir]

edit:

And Giga, read the sentence right before the one you bolded. Bungie has lied in the past, don't act like they haven't. It's still a possibility, however unlikely.

I think the shield grenade is more suitable as the big secret, though I don't see how it would radically "change the way you play FPSs."

I think the shield grenade is more suitable as the big secret, though I don't see how it would radically "change the way you play FPSs."

You don't think it would? I definitely think it would, more so than what a Sprint/Dash button would do, that's for sure.

Think about it, you spawn with an AR (albeit more powerful, but still) and you really dont have an answer to someone with, lets say, a Rocket Launcher, or even the new Spartan Laser until now. Also, if timed correctly, you an perhaps survive an ambush in a CTF type of game. Or even set up your shield to deflect bullets for the guy holding the skull in Odd-Ball. The possibilities are vast, really. I think it would dramatically change gameplay. But, that's all assuming that the X-Button is in fact this new shield.

I'm not sure I like it, though. I kind of wish they don't add it in because I think it will mess up the fast-pace of Halo that I love so much. But we'll see, I'll probably end up liking it after getting used to it for a while. ;)

You don't think it would? I definitely think it would, more so than what a Sprint/Dash button would do, that's for sure.

Think about it, you spawn with an AR (albeit more powerful, but still) and you really dont have an answer to someone with, lets say, a Rocket Launcher, or even the new Spartan Laser until now. Also, if timed correctly, you an perhaps survive an ambush in a CTF type of game. Or even set up your shield to deflect bullets for the guy holding the skull in Odd-Ball. The possibilities are vast, really. I think it would dramatically change gameplay. But, that's all assuming that the X-Button is in fact this new shield.

I'm not sure I like it, though. I kind of wish they don't add it in because I think it will mess up the fast-pace of Halo that I love so much. But we'll see, I'll probably end up liking it after getting used to it for a while. ;)

But see, you just proved my point. It would change the way you play Halo, but not FPSs as a genre.

But see, you just proved my point. It would change the way you play Halo, but not FPSs as a genre.

Ah, I see your point now. But if you think about it, Halo, in many aspects, did in fact define the way we play FPSs (on the console at least). So, in a sense, if you dramatically change the way Halo is played, this change may trickle down and affect how other FPSs are played, but only time will tell.

Finally got the trailer to download and watched this yesterday. Impressive trailer. I have to say, if halo were to use CG sequences, I would want them to look and feel like that.

I can see it being so that you must be on the ground, and MC will take a lowered position (like the trailer)

This whole grenade thing is confusing...I hope it's not hard to swap between the 4 types and such.

Finally got the trailer to download and watched this yesterday. Impressive trailer. I have to say, if halo were to use CG sequences, I would want them to look and feel like that.

Sure I'd want them to feel like that commercial did, but I still prefer Bungie's in-game engine compared to plain CG. MC just looked too plain and texture-less for me compared to the E3 shot.

h3_e32006_ChiefIntro.jpg

halo-3-20061205095654474.jpg

h3_e32006_ChiefVisor.jpg

1165288731.jpg

Maybe I just prefer the HDRified rugged look. :D

I just realised something!

You can distinctly hear Cortana saying "Chief, belive me" or "leave me"

How is this possible if she's still at High Charity?

Heh, feels weird that I completed it years ago, but she's still in the same place. :wacko:

What would be wrong with a dash feature? Obviously it would be probably be limited/stamina and you probably couldn't fire. People in a war are limited to moving at one speed? If something was assigned to X button I assume it would get used more often so if you have a shield assigned to X that would mean people would use it alot. People using shields alot seems kinda dumb.

Sure I'd want them to feel like that commercial did, but I still prefer Bungie's in-game engine compared to plain CG. MC just looked too plain and texture-less for me compared to the E3 shot.

h3_e32006_ChiefIntro.jpg

halo-3-20061205095654474.jpg

h3_e32006_ChiefVisor.jpg

1165288731.jpg

Maybe I just prefer the HDRified rugged look. :D

I agree that the In-game cutscenes definitely fit it better, I was just saying if they decided that they were going to do CG, I would want it to be similar to that trailer.

Ah, I see your point now. But if you think about it, Halo, in many aspects, did in fact define the way we play FPSs (on the console at least). So, in a sense, if you dramatically change the way Halo is played, this change may trickle down and affect how other FPSs are played, but only time will tell.

Maybe. I just don't see the addition of a shield as all that... revolutionary? My fingers are crossed for something bigger.

Not that it wouldn't be a neat little addition... but that's all it would be. A neat little addition. Nothing really game-changing.

Could be something akin to invisibility or the overshield, methinks.

If the shields are grenades would it not be possible to throw them ? Your gonna have to waste time throwing it at your feet and wait for it to initialize. On the other hand throw it at someone's feet and watch as they die from their own bullets deflecting off the shield :p .

If the shields are grenades would it not be possible to throw them ? Your gonna have to waste time throwing it at your feet and wait for it to initialize. On the other hand throw it at someone's feet and watch as they die from their own bullets deflecting off the shield :p .

Actually, I'm pretty sure it's not a grenade as Frankie was pretty perplexed when people initially said that it's a new type of grenade. Also, Bungie has previously denied that the X-Button is a Sprint/Dash feature, so I'm pretty sure that the X-button will act as that shield that we saw in the ad and that it will be ever-present, however limited.