Mac OS X 'Leopard'-related Discussion

Woah, Preview looks great! Oddly though, the plastic buttons actually good there. Especially that blue one. Nice to see drawers are dead. Those aqua buttons on the blue bar look strange. They should be plastic buttons. The bar at the bottom of the sidebar should be glossy as well.

How long have this type of scrollbar been present?

19aac40.jpg

Edited by osirisX

The interface of Preview looks really odd. Great they beefed up it's feature set though!

The weird texture on the screenshots isn't a bug. Apple just doesn't want any good quality screenshots out there. Mac OS X Tiger and Panther used to do the same thing in their beta stage.

I think they might be the new buttons really. Not sure.

Check out Safari.app and see if they're there. If not they're part of the resource independence bug.

Finally they got rid of the pinstripes system-wide! SmoothStripes for ever! :cool:

Edited by .Neo

Woah, Preview looks great! Oddly though, the plastic buttons actually good there. Especially that blue one. Nice to see drawers are dead. Those aqua buttons on the blue bar look strange. They should be plastic buttons. The bar at the bottom of the sidebar should be glossy as well.

How long have this type of scrollbar been present?

19aac40.jpg

since WWDC.

The interface of Preview looks really odd. Great they beefed up it's feature set though!

The weird texture on the screenshots isn't a bug. Apple just doesn't want any good quality screenshots out there. Mac OS X Tiger and Panther used to do the same thing in their beta stage.

Check out Safari.app and see if they're there. If not they're part of the resource independence bug.

Finally they got rid of the pinstripes system-wide! SmoothStripes for ever! :cool:

The webclip icon is a transparent PDF, so it might be a bug.

I've been playing in the new Preview.app for a while now. I am madly in love. It's a very functional app now :)

Sorry, attaching photos seems broken in this build heh.

I think what you mean to say is that you've just made a rendition of what Preview.app might look like in the current beta builds of Leopard. If it happens that there are stiking similaries, it is of course pure coincidence. Not that beta testers have an NDA or anything. ;)

I really hope that Apple does a FTFF. Finder is really behind now in useability and I think they could improve on it. A better tree view would be a start. And faster text display in Terminal. I think the new imaging system might help out with all that anyways.

I'm really looking forward to Timemachine and the other features. I'm hoping Automator becomes even more powerful and easier and I'm looking forward to more tricked out advanced features.

A big wow for the new preview app, seriously... nicely done.

I dunno why, but I hate drawers (ie. avatars in MSN.... how ugly)

As for the rest, I don't really see the progress. Was it that long to convert the brushed metal to a universal skin?

hmm doesn't look too pretty to me... maybe when it's done it will look better? the gray should be easier on the eyes, than so much white present in today's OS X :)

...I am really happy about all the security enhancements. Such as, iChat defaults to using SSL now, and Mail.app defaults to using SSL.

i hope it can detect if the server can't use it by default, my isp's mail server doesn't work with SSL on. (i know it can be turned off but lots of people will end up leaving it)

Trying A2DP as we speak, it was quite broken in the last build... Bluetooth might be broken. Not sure yet.

good to know they're finally adding the feature to OSX, i used to have A2DP headphones but i got rid of them since i couldnt use them with my Macbook Pro :(. I'll have to get some new ones :)

Forgot to add, they should also fix mountable partitions. CDs and DVDs get stuck sometimes and the system needs to be rebooted. My external HDDs sometimes get a 1 appended to the partition name so there's Mount, Mount 1 which are the same partition and Samba mounting is a bit flaky sometimes.

i hope it can detect if the server can't use it by default, my isp's mail server doesn't work with SSL on. (i know it can be turned off but lots of people will end up leaving it)

good to know they're finally adding the feature to OSX, i used to have A2DP headphones but i got rid of them since i couldnt use them with my Macbook Pro :(. I'll have to get some new ones :)

I don't know if it will detect if SSL can or can't be used (All my mail servers support SSL.) When I found out A2DP was making an appearance I purchased a Jabra BT620. Freaking LOVE them. They can pair to 2 bluetooth devices, so I can have them paired to 10.5 and my Hiptop3 (Sidekick3) and when a call comes in, automagically switch to the Phone, and back again. You can also use them in 10.4 since they support USB Audio (Didn't know that when I purchased them, was an awesome added bonus) but when using USB Audio it will disable bluetooth (Somewhat disappointing) Well worth the purchase IMO. Going to get their iPod adapter soon so I can use my iPod with the headphones while out and about :)

Samba mounting is a bit flaky sometimes.

Samba is always flaky, no matter which OS.

I don't know if it will detect if SSL can or can't be used (All my mail servers support SSL.) When I found out A2DP was making an appearance I purchased a Jabra BT620. Freaking LOVE them. They can pair to 2 bluetooth devices, so I can have them paired to 10.5 and my Hiptop3 (Sidekick3) and when a call comes in, automagically switch to the Phone, and back again. You can also use them in 10.4 since they support USB Audio (Didn't know that when I purchased them, was an awesome added bonus) but when using USB Audio it will disable bluetooth (Somewhat disappointing) Well worth the purchase IMO. Going to get their iPod adapter soon so I can use my iPod with the headphones while out and about :)

Thanks, I'll have to check those headphones and compare them to the ones i used to have and make a new purchase :p

I've noticed this a lot, especially over at Macrumors. Do people REALLY want a transparent, glossy black UI for Leopard? It seems Vista got it and now everyone wants it as it's the current flavour of the month.

Personally I don't want to see black transparency everywhere. Only in HUD palettes where they fit the purpose and work really well.

I agree with you completely osirisx, I only want the little black transparent windows popping up on-top of user created media when in the design phase. Like the way Motion, Aperture and iPhoto currently utilise it. I don't want whole applications developed around that window environment.

I've noticed this a lot, especially over at Macrumors. Do people REALLY want a transparent, glossy black UI for Leopard? It seems Vista got it and now everyone wants it as it's the current flavour of the month.

Personally I don't want to see black transparency everywhere. Only in HUD palettes where they fit the purpose and work really well.

Agreed, I don't want to see black transparency anywhere else but pallets. The smooth metal is a welcomed addition (Fina-freaking-lly may I add.) but it's a little bit too dark as it stands. But, when you think about todays date and October. The UI is nowhere near complete and they are still not in a final bug rush, so lots of things will change by WWDC and even the next build in May. I would only expect the WWDC build to be 1 or 2 public builds before Apple pushes out RC builds to developers, then the GM build.

if that happens i'll have to consider staying on 10.4.....i hate vista's UI

People who like to modify NIB files and modify the look of their apps might be SOL soon. I found 1 resource in 10.5 (It was Find.nib in iChat) that was in a "Compiled Resource" and could not be opened by Interface Builder. But in the 2 or so minutes I spent poking around Interface Builder I couldn't find a way to protect NIBs so we might have nothing to worry about.

Forgot to add, they should also fix mountable partitions. CDs and DVDs get stuck sometimes and the system needs to be rebooted. My external HDDs sometimes get a 1 appended to the partition name so there's Mount, Mount 1 which are the same partition and Samba mounting is a bit flaky sometimes.

Similar things happen to me. One of my partitions (internal drive) has changed to "Home 1" randomly, happened in the past too.

Agreed, but I don't like this new 'Aqua' look Leopard features either. At least Vista's black elements have a fairly clean look to them, iTunes 7' gradient applied like this looks plain dirty. So hopefully it's just a placeholder for the real thing.