Mac OS X 'Leopard'-related Discussion

I was wondering about where iLife will go when Leopard comes out. Since OS X + iLife combo makes OS X shine, I won't be surprised if apple decides to integrate iLife into Leopard.

May be Garageband and iWeb may still stay separate but iMovie, iPhoto & iDVD should be part of Leopard by default.

How is this for some speculation ? :)

Damn, I just got my MacBook and have spending the past 2 weeks learning OS X. I hope they don't change it up too much, I enjoy Tiger a lot.

When major milestones are released (ie. Panther to Tiger), do apps get broken? Or am I still stuck on the Windows mentality? :)

Damn, I just got my MacBook and have spending the past 2 weeks learning OS X. I hope they don't change it up too much, I enjoy Tiger a lot.

When major milestones are released (ie. Panther to Tiger), do apps get broken? Or am I still stuck on the Windows mentality? :)

When you run an upgrade from OS X 10.n to 10.n+1 the only thing that really changes is the capabilities of your system. Programs keep working, user accounts still have their documents/settings preserved, you can just do mroe things. It works pretty much exactly how you'd think it should.

Hardware upgrades from one mac to another work pretty much the same way.

Occasionally you'll find an application or two that breaks (I think diskwarrior or toast both had issues with the 10.2 to 10.3 upgrade) but the standard issue productivity applications just keep going.

It depends. Most programs should work alright. In Panther > Tiger transition my biggest gripe was cisco vpn client. Otherwise it was fine. I doubt there are major changes this time around in existing APIs that would break anything.

I was wondering about where iLife will go when Leopard comes out. Since OS X + iLife combo makes OS X shine, I won't be surprised if apple decides to integrate iLife into Leopard.

May be Garageband and iWeb may still stay separate but iMovie, iPhoto & iDVD should be part of Leopard by default.

How is this for some speculation ? :)

On the one hand, it's unlikely that Apple would do this since they'd lose a lot of money from people buying iLife upgrades. I highly doubt it will happen.

However, now that Windows Vista includes a bunch of rip offs of iLife apps, it's slightly harder for Apple to justify ?90 for Mac OS X, then a further ?50 for iLife.

Still don't think it'll happen thoug:):)

On the one hand, it's unlikely that Apple would do this since they'd lose a lot of money from people buying iLife upgrades.

I really doubt Apple is making serious money from selling separate iLife copies.

I really doubt Apple is making serious money from selling separate iLife copies.

Or it will be act like good old Apple and just bump up the price of OS X. ;)

Bah, I wouldn't mind if they bumped the price for like 20 bucks, assuming they won't add the whole price of iLife to the price of OS X. Hell, iLife for 20 bucks (for a student) and Leopard for like 90 bucks, it's nice :p

They are holding back the really nice features the developer builds are just minor things like a service pack. The real work is all done beind the scene.

They are holding back the really nice features the developer builds are just minor things like a service pack. The real work is all done beind the scene.

i sure hope so

Yup, same thing here, and at the cost of $90 :)

I'm not sure if I will wait for 10.5.1 though before updating, but I hope the OS will feel more responsive and quick. There's already a lot of things that optimizes the speed in Leopard, so we'll see!

So forgive my newbie-ness, as I just recently grabbed an iBook used (10.3.9). So I'll be able to just buy this upgrade and go? Shouldn't break too much application compatibility? Will it run ok on my specs (1.07 GHz G4, 512 MB RAM)?

So forgive my newbie-ness, as I just recently grabbed an iBook used (10.3.9). So I'll be able to just buy this upgrade and go? Shouldn't break too much application compatibility? Will it run ok on my specs (1.07 GHz G4, 512 MB RAM)?

Yep, should be fine.

You do know that "LED LCD" simply means that the regular LCD screen is backlit by LEDs instead of fluorescent bulbs, right?

If you're gonna say "LED LCD", you might as well say "Fluorescent LCD".

That is what I was implying. This is going to use less power and create less heat as well.

I heard it uses less power, hence the change, to improve battery life for laptops, it's also brighter....i think

Overal it depends on how many of Mac OS X Leopard's features are depending on technologies that require a CoreImage capable videocard. Right now Time Machine hardly runs on Macs that don't support CoreImage.

Your CPU meets the minimal requirements, but it's your GPU that might cause problems.

Mac OS X Leopard build 9A377a Seed Note

Known Issues:

Setup Assistant

- Upgrades from previously Leopard releases are broken in this seed. Please migrate your user or do a clean install

- Setup Assistant sometimes says "No versions of Mac OS X were found" if you try to migrate your user from another volume. A Restart will resolve this issue

- Some users may not be able to backup their system during installation

- Migration installs aren't transferring data from iCal

- Users are sometimes unable to migrate their user from previous installs

- Taking pictures during Setup Assistant may not work correctly

Time Machine

- User may not be able to enable Time Machine using the dialog that appears when connecting a drive

- Snapshot browser may show graphics corruption for some users

Safari

- Loading a webpage sometimes hangs Safari. Delete "~/Library/Caches/com.apple.safari/__CFURLCacheDefault.db" will resolve this issue

- Frequent crashes when playing QuickTime movies

iChat

- Audio / Video chats will not work with machines running previous Leopard seeds. A/V Chats with Tiger are OK.

Spotlight

- Changes made to files after the initial Spotlight index will not be reindexed

- Privacy option in the Spotlight Preference Pane currently does not work

Finder

- Dragging files from network volumes and disk images to their local machine may fail under certain situations

- Screen Sharing currently can't be initiated from the Shared browser in the Finder Sidebar

- Volumes may not show up in the Finder Sidebar in certain situations

Sharing Preference Pane

- When adding a Shared Folder, a Shared Folder may not be created. Restarting will resolve this

- Can't disable Bluetooth Sharing

QuickTime

- Graphics corruption in the 'Export' window

- HD movie trailers may not play audio in certain situations

Input Methods

- When selecting a new Input Method in the International Preference Pane, system may hang for several seconds and the IM menu may not appear until after restarting.

- Candidate window does not appear with the Japanese Input Method

Miscellaneous

- Software update preferences automatically reset resulting in extra update notifications

- When adding a printer you may need to select 'Add Printer' twice before the printer window appears

- Applications running under Rosetta may not launch on restored Leopard systems (using ASR and TimeMachine, for example). Opening Terminal and running 'sudo update_dyld_shared_cache' will fix this issue

- Some PowerBook G4's may panic when in Sleep mode or when waking from Sleep

- User may be unable to write to a USB drive connected via Airport Extreme. Workaround is to click the 'Remember password in my keychain' option when connecting to the drive.

- Videos purchased through the iTunes Store do not play in iTunes

- Photobooth's window is empty when launched

- Preview shows graphics corruption when displaying certain PDFs

- Users may not be able enable FileVault in certain situations

Changes in Leopard Since 9A343

Spotlight

- Performance optimizations

- More powerful search queries

iSync Plug-in Maker

- Fixed Package format : Installer packages created with a prior version must be regenerated with this new version of

iSync Plug-in Maker.

- Added support for Modem Script bundles : A new pane has been added to edit the Modem Script settings of a phone. The export options now allow to export a Modem Script bundle along with an iSync Phone Plugin. (Limitation: exported Modem Script bundles are not yet supported by Leopard)

Miscellaneous

- Address Book enhancements for taking pictures

- Safari compatibility for rich text editing

- Updated Sharing Preference Pane with additional options for sharepoints and access controls. Shares are acessible through the Shared icon in the Finder Sidebar

Screenshots coming when it's leaked.

Whoa... that's a lot of bugs.

Isn't a beta supposed to get more stable? I have every intention of buying Leopard when it comes out, but this is ridiculous. I hope these builds are old and they're working on a stable version behind the scenes or something :p

If by 10.5 these known issues are not fixed, I am sure that by 10.5.1 they'll all be fixed.

Rich text editing in safari.... excellent... even if they're all poorly coded :p