Mac OS X 'Leopard'-related Discussion

I wonder what Apple is working on right now for Leopard. They have to have something big up their sleeve if they're waiting until October. Sure, the releases now are buggy, but this much time is more than enough. At least, I hope...

I was looking forward to time machine this spring :( , even bought a 250GB external HD for it. Maybe Linux...

The concensus is its because of iTV and and iPhone that Leopard is being delayed. The some soft. engineers working on OS X are working on the other two products. Would you want to release something in the same timeframe with coders who don't know/understand how Apple works/codes? Hell, no that would be disastrous.

I wonder what Apple is working on right now for Leopard.

We should know in a few weeks. Apple should have a new seed next week or the week after.

Unified and most glossy elements were all in place since Developer Preview 1. The only thing Apple tweaked a few times was the Menubar and they added Mail's new toolbar buttons later on. But I'd hardly call that a 'test UI'. :/

Well, I mean stuff like the inset buttons, so it kinda looked like they were flush with the surface, that vanished before the final release (and i quite liked it)

How do you know about a seed date?

Anyway, there's 1 month and 8 days or something before WWDC.

Apple seeds usually on the 2nd or 3rd Tuesday of the month. But theyve been off the schedule. Maybe now that WWDC is closer, they might get back on schedule.

Unlikely we'll see any mayor changes before WWDC.

Well, I mean stuff like the inset buttons, so it kinda looked like they were flush with the surface, that vanished before the final release (and i quite liked it)

Insert buttons?

Well, with normal aqua buttons, they have a 3d effect that makes them look like they are "growing" off the surface of the window, but the pre-release tiger UI made them look like they were behind the window, and pushing through holes in it, looked like they were flush with the surface (but with a subtle 3d effect to show a difference)

It was only a small change, and Apple got rid of it before final release.

They sound like they really go against the idea of Aqua. That being that the buttons are water droplets that are sitting on the surface of a window. I'd love to see a screenshot though, if one still exists.

Yeah same here. Never noticed it even though I a ran almost every beta Apple released to the public.

I liked the Mac OS X 10.3 Panther version of Aqua Extreme/SmoothStripes where everything was sunken in, including all the Aqua buttons.

I just read on MacThemes that the new 'Unified Brushed" look Mac OS X Leopard's Finder features is hardcoded into the OS.

Can anyone here confirm that?

If 'Aqua' (or whatever Leopard is supposed to use) is being hardcoded it will pretty much kill the ability to theme the OS. Might upset some people. :p

If 'Aqua' (or whatever Leopard is supposed to use) is being hardcoded it will pretty much kill the ability to theme the OS. Might upset some people. :p

if it's hardcoded it probably means it's drawn programmatically. which would mean that the fully vectorized UI is there and working :)

They sound like they really go against the idea of Aqua. That being that the buttons are water droplets that are sitting on the surface of a window. I'd love to see a screenshot though, if one still exists.

I've been trying to find one (so i don't sound crazy :p ) but google isn't helping.

but...

Yeah same here. Never noticed it even though I a ran almost every beta Apple released to the public.

I liked the Mac OS X 10.3 Panther version of Aqua Extreme/SmoothStripes where everything was sunken in, including all the Aqua buttons.

That might be a better explanation, although when i used those themes i never got those widgets (which was the sole reason i used the theme, to look like the Tiger screenshots i had seen :p )

I honestly can't remember that Mac OS X Tiger ever used sunken push buttons. The sunken elements used at the time by Aqua Extreme/SmoothStripes were all based on Mac OS X 10.3 Panther's sunken 'traffic light' buttons:

Sunken (Left), Default (Right)

pxm2009pushbuttoncapsab0.png2009pushbuttoncapsta2.png

Are you sure someone didn't just applied some theme?

Edit:

I found a whole bunch of Mac OS X Tiger screen shots from different builds and they all show regular, non sunken, Aqua buttons:

ibcontrolsus2.png

picture10uk4.jpg

Edited by .Neo

Sunken is nicer IMO.

Maybe if we saw XCode 3, we'd discover a few things about the future interface.

Currently it shows a new toolbar button style similar to Mail's but less purple and with more square corners. But that's about it I believe.

In older builds there definitely was a Xcode window showing the toolbar buttons I described. If I'm not mistaken I posted a screenshot of it earlier.

That said, it could very well be that Apple got rid of it.

Edit:

Check out the button style you see on the "Untitled" window in Picture 7. They were very similar to those. Could it be an artifact of the resolution independent UI?

The Mac OS X Leopard interface seems really odd compared to previous Mac OS X betas. About everything is just off. :/ I'm very curious to see what the end result will be like.

Edited by .Neo