• South Africa
    • India
    • Sri Lanka
    • New Zealand
    • England
    • Pakistan
    • West Indies
    • Other (Please State)

The Cricket World Cup 2007 kicks off today (1430 GMT). West Indies host Pakistan in what should be an exciting opening match. I think albeit the West Indies have home advantage, Pakistan have a very strong team and their bowlers can be deadly. Tough one to call.

Being a British Indian, I have a soft spot for India and would love to see last time runners up win it big this time round.

Who do you think can win? I suppose Australia are favourites, however, they have been hit with quite a few injuries and without the superb Shane Warne, I just don't think they are the same side. There are far too many strong nations however and on their day, anyone can run away with it. Too hard to call!

Ireland are going to win.

Reminds me of the film cool runnings.

Ireland have no place neing at the world cup..we are not a cricket nation, but while we're there we might as well win it!

Realisticaly if we win our opening game we will have achieved somthing.

i bet New Zealand are dark horses. Worth a bet?

I will go in order of the teams I support.

Firstly England, my home country, have to be loyal, hope they keep off the booze.

Then the Windies, growing up watching Viv Richards, Joel Garner (Big Bird) Michael Holding, Clive Lloyd, Andy Roberts, Malcolm Marshall was exciting, being an ex very fast bowler and all rounder.

I have a slight soft spot for India, being they had the great Kapil Dev.

I hope it's a good tournament, won't get to watch too much, due to work and spending time with the kids.

I will have to avoid results so I can catch the highlights in the evening when England play.

I personally, due to the low slow flat wickets, would open with a medium pacer and a spinner.

Finally someone made a thread...

Today, i think Pakistan will win but it might be close.

As a British Indian too, i hope that India win, but i don't think they will. Sehwag can't buy a run but still they keep him in the team and Pathan has slowed down to Kumble speed. He was only bowling at 100 - 115 kph in the warm-up matches!

I think Australia will be favourites but a lot of people have been saying that they think Sri Lanka will win because they have a well rounded team and as well as other sub-continent teams, have experience of playing in similar conditions. I'm not sure about the No. 1 team in the world - SA. They don't really have variation in their bowling, which is going to be important as spin/slow bowlers are going to be the most effective.

Nice, I was actually thinking of starting a thread soon! :p

As a Pakistani I would like Pakistan to win, but I think South Africa also have pretty good chances. I can't even watch today's opening game because I'm at uni. :(

WIN are 77/3 as of right now though. Go Pakistan! :)

Finally someone made a thread...

Today, i think Pakistan will win but it might be close.

As a British Indian too, i hope that India win, but i don't think they will. Sehwag can't buy a run but still they keep him in the team and Pathan has slowed down to Kumble speed. He was only bowling at 100 - 115 kph in the warm-up matches!

I think Australia will be favourites but a lot of people have been saying that they think Sri Lanka will win because they have a well rounded team and as well as other sub-continent teams, have experience of playing in similar conditions. I'm not sure about the No. 1 team in the world - SA. They don't really have variation in their bowling, which is going to be important as spin/slow bowlers are going to be the most effective.

As an Indian cricket fan , I will say India as favorites but I would love to see Sri Lanka win. As a cricket fan, I think they have the best all rounded team.

Regarding Sehwag being there, I have no idea why he is still playing. He is in the team primarily as a batsman and he is not getting any runs. They really need to sort him out, Give his place to someone else.

It is a really open tournament this year, any of the top 8 have a chance.

I'm also sure we will be seeing an India - Pakistan match on April 15 - I'm sure they planned that in some time ago :p

Pakistan got 'mash-up'.

Windies won tooooo easily.

If pakistan play that way against either E.I.R.E, or Zimbabwe they are packing their bags and going home.

yep we played crap but even if we play like this against ireland or zimbabwe we'll still win 'em. we're still winning world cup even without three of our best players, asif, shoaib and razzak.

if only afridi was playing today he woulda loved this small pitch

^^whats wrong with cricket?? it's a world wide sport and people love wathcing/playing it.

what sport do you play/watch

People actually play Cricket?

Biggest sport in South Asia. Also fairly popular in England (although not as popular as football), Oceania, South Africa, and the Caribbean (which is where this World Cup is being held).

So yeah, plenty of people play cricket.

The first match was amazing. West Indies vs Pakistan... West Indies managed to win by 54 runs. What a good match to start things off.

I am living in India and matches start at 8PM and end at 4:30 AM. Can't watch all the match but can watch the highlights on TV in the morning.

Is this being shown only on sky sports??

Highlights on BBC also.

I watched bits and pieces during the day and night.

Windies kit has to be the best looking.

I prefer test match cricket myself, but the world cup is always a great occasion.

Well, i got proved wrong from my earlier comment.

yep we played crap but even if we play like this against ireland or zimbabwe we'll still win 'em. we're still winning world cup even without three of our best players, asif, shoaib and razzak.

if only afridi was playing today he woulda loved this small pitch

I think that Asif would have made a big difference had he been there but he got 'injured' along with Shoiab. Pakistan are an unpredictable team so you can't write them off completely, but i don't think they'll win. Especially with their problems with their openers. One of the 'big 3' have to move up the order. YK might as well open, he's out there pretty quickly anyway.

Aus vs Scotland today. Go Scotland!

I can't believe Ireland got the draw. Well done to them. My dad is a cricketer and I always diss him by saying I can't believe you play a game for a whole day (or 5 days in the case of a test match) and still end up drawing! :p

Ireland game was good, problem is it was like watching club first XL cricket.

6 years ago Zimbabwe would have whooooped them easily, shame a certain president has stuck his beak into the Cricket federation of Zimbabwe.

It was like a Zimbabwe club side v's an Australian 2nd xl.

That draw will make that group very interesting indeed.

I hope Aussie lose and I hope they lose bad. Sick of their god damned arrogance.

i agree with you. it'll do the game a lot of good.

although as an Aussie shouldn't you want them to win?

i agree with you. it'll do the game a lot of good.

although as an Aussie shouldn't you want them to win?

Just cause they are my National team doesn't mean I have to support them. I'm not supporting a team I can't stand.

I just re-read that. Might have been taken as me being a complete ######. Sorry, didn't mean to sound like I was being angry :-p