Major League Baseball 2007 Thread

Although that is true he is showing a lot of power for a rookie.

He's 26 and a professional baseball player. They're supposed to hit the pitches he's hit. He's also swinging and nearly dislocating his shoulder at every high pitch.

Edited by bangbang023

bonds is 1 away from tying the record, who else is just ****ed about the whole thing? i hope he does it already so it will pass and lets wait for arod, puljos, or howard to break it. god i despise bonds.

What the **** is wrong with Cashman? They trade away Proctor for Betemit while the Sox get Gagne and the Braves walk away with both Teixeira and Dotel. We have no god damn pen so we trade away a good arm who's simply having some trouble for another backup infielder? Great.

What the **** is wrong with Cashman? They trade away Proctor for Betemit while the Sox get Gagne and the Braves walk away with both Teixeira and Dotel. We have no god damn pen so we trade away a good arm who's simply having some trouble for another backup infielder? Great.

Yeah.... those were my feelings yesterday... I don't get it... Cashman always seems to do it.... They should have kept Proctor and not made any trades

The only thing that I can think of, is that they will use Betemit in another trade somewhere before the playoffs to help the team out greater. They definitely don't need another infielder when they have Cairo, who IMO (and always right opinion) > Betemit.

Very, VERY stupid.

Edit: @ CaKeY...... Muderer's Row is not pitching... Way to be a terrible baseball fan btw.

The only thing that I can think of, is that they will use Betemit in another trade somewhere before the playoffs to help the team out greater.

The MLB trade deadline is over. These are the players they'll take with them to the playoffs.

The MLB trade deadline is over. These are the players they'll take with them to the playoffs.

Yesterday was non-waiver trades. They can still pick up people off waivers later on in the season. It's happened in the past.

Yesterday was non-waiver trades. They can still pick up people off waivers later on in the season. It's happened in the past.

I see. Thanks.

I see. Thanks.

Now you mention it... you might be right... I know players can be picked up off of waivers, but I'm not sure if they can be TRADED. I am sure it can happen.

bonds is 1 away from tying the record, who else is just ****ed about the whole thing? i hope he does it already so it will pass and lets wait for arod, puljos, or howard to break it. god i despise bonds.

It's a good thing Hank Aaron is ignoring Barry and not planning on congratulating him. He had balls to call out Hank on his lack of baseball comradery during the All-Star Game. Anyone implicated and with reasonable testimony/evidence thought to be using steroids should be barred from the record books and the Hall of Fame. I will be p*ssed if he's ever inducted.

Good on the Dodgers last night, walking him. I don't want my team playing any part in his breaking the record. Although I do like seeing steroid pumped power hitters taking giant swings at balls down and out and then missing. Tonight's another sold-out crowd.

It's a good thing Hank Aaron is ignoring Barry and not planning on congratulating him. He had balls to call out Hank on his lack of baseball comradery during the All-Star Game. Anyone implicated and with reasonable testimony/evidence thought to be using steroids should be barred from the record books and the Hall of Fame. I will be p*ssed if he's ever inducted.

Good on the Dodgers last night, walking him. I don't want my team playing any part in his breaking the record. Although I do like seeing steroid pumped power hitters taking giant swings at balls down and out and then missing. Tonight's another sold-out crowd.

If I was a pitcher, I would lose the world series by intentionally walking him with the bases loaded in the bottom of the 9th, just so he doesn't have a chance to hit it.

Players can be traded but they have to clear waivers. There won't be any big blockbuster trades from this point on since a big star would never clear waivers.

If I was a pitcher, I would lose the world series by intentionally walking him with the bases loaded in the bottom of the 9th, just so he doesn't have a chance to hit it.
That's kind of foolish. Any competitor would want that ring. I know I would.

I'm kind of hoping Bonds gets in a non-fatal car accident, breaking his arms and shoulders and leaving him unable to swing a baseball bat ever again. Everybody knows that he did (does) steroids, and his name being in the record books kind of invalidates the whole point of record books in the first place. Records are there to honor players who use their talent, and their talent alone, to stun the world.

Now why would you bother intentionally walking him when you could plunk him? :p

Now that ESPN is done with it's stupid Who's Now crap and ARod and Barry's HR are done what is sportscenter going to show? I hope they finally show highlights of other games. Wouldn't that be a novel concept? Though Tom Glavine goes for his 300th win at Wrigley today and history doesn't bode well for him. Roger Clemens tried to get 300 at Wrigley and lost. When Maddux was with the Cubs he tried to get it there and got a no decision.

And for the Yankees comments? From what I read the Yankees offered better quality prospects for Gagne but the Rangers either didn't see it that way or just plain didn't want to deal him to the Yankees? And Betemit? He's the "If ARod says F U to the fans and opts out of his contract and goes to Anaheim or Chicago" insurance.

Also wanted to add - Anyone else find an unnatural amount of joy in seeing Clemens give up 8 runs the other day? I bet that was worth $1mil to the Yankees. Boy he sure is earning that contract isn't he.

How about Selig's reaction to Barry's 755th home run? Although he may not care for Barry Bonds, he should've showed some kind of emotion.

Also wanted to add - Anyone else find an unnatural amount of joy in seeing Clemens give up 8 runs the other day? I bet that was worth $1mil to the Yankees. Boy he sure is earning that contract isn't he.

Hahaha, the worst team money can buy.

I'm surprised Bonds got one in San Diego. The Padres have the best pitching in the NL if not in all of MLB.

In another 6 years or so we won't even care about Bonds and his HR record because A-Rod will be on the verge of blowing past him. Then we'll talk about Ryan Howard, or Albert Puljos, or some other young gun. Everyone talks about the HR record being the most hallowed record...why? It just shows someone was able to play long enough to keep hitting. If anything I'd be more impressed with someone breaking DiMaggio's record, or Rose's all time hits. Those seem most unattainable to me. The best part about records though, they were made to be broken, and no matter what, we can now say we saw it happen in our lifetime whether we like who did it or not.

Also, I know we love to make assumptions, and I do believe Bonds took something, but there is one key thing missing here...he's never been caught. If he were to be caught and suspended, then we'd all be able to go "See!" but that hasn't happened yet, and probably won't. So, he should be innocent until proven guilty, but that only works in the court of law, not the court of public perception.

I really want Brian Cashman to explain why he got Betimit and got rid of Proctor... way to really give the yankees no chance at the end of the season.

It was probably to make room for Chamerlain. I'm warming up to the idea. Now, if we can only get rid of Farnsy, too. Our pen needs serious work this offseason.

It was probably to make room for Chamerlain. I'm warming up to the idea. Now, if we can only get rid of Farnsy, too. Our pen needs serious work this offseason.

Should have gotten rid of Farnsworth then.

They got rid of a good reliever for someone who barely plays, to bring up other relievers who haven't proven themselves. Great thinking [/sarcasm]

Rule #2: If you've used steroids, get in line early to admit it and the Commish will go easy on you.

Giambi essentially admitted to the Mitchell investigation that he used and Bud's taking it easy on him. Either to let the others know that if they admit it, they won't be punished, or as a reward for using what's left of his nuts to man up and be one of the first to talk.

That being said, all the "he's never been caught" stuff about Bonds doesn't work when he ADMITTED to a grand jury that he did use the cream and the clear. Only he thought it was flaxseed oil and arthritis cream. Why we know that is because of an illegal leak since it was was said in a grand jury room and nobody should've known that. But he did admit to it. I love me wife, but even if she handed me a tube of gunk and said "Here, put this on your knee, it'll help" I"ll at least ask "Uh o.k honey. What is it?"

• 1 month later...

Yankees' Slugger Strikes Out Over 'Joke' Autograph

Yankees rookie Shelley Duncan may be a hit on the field, but the family of a 10-year-old Boston Red Sox fan says the slugger has struck out following a ?joke? autograph, the Boston Herald reported.

According to young Red Sox fan Griffin Whitman, Duncan wrote ?Red Sox Suck! Shelley Duncan? in his notebook during an autograph session before last Friday?s game between the two fierce rivals at Boston?s Fenway Park.

?It was cool to get his autograph,? Griffin told the Herald. ?It didn?t make me feel happy when he wrote that.?

Duncan later tolk the Herald he was surprised that the boy and his family took offense to the autograph.

?I thought I was back in middle school or high school, where you try to make a joke or say something funny, and you end up saying something that gets you in trouble,? Duncan said. ?I try to be interactive with people, be funny, have a good time and have a laugh.?

?It?s not always Yankees fans that have us sign stuff. I try to rile ?em up and be fun. I don?t expect anybody to make a big deal about it. Nobody ever has before.?

Yankees management had no comment when contacted by FOXNews.com on Monday.

Griffin?s mother, Karen, blasted the young Yankees slugger for setting a bad example.

?This is someone who wears the Yankee uniform and is on the payroll and should be setting an example for 10-year-olds,? she told the Herald.

News Source: FOXNews.com

I'm a huge Yankee fan, but this is very sad and poor sportsmanship IMO. The kid really is owed an apology, but that's just me though.