|OFFICIAL| Halo 3 Beta Blowout

Really? From what I can remember, Halo 1 and Halo 2 multiplayer graphics are pretty much equivalent to single player.

Halo2's graphics "scale down" as you increase number of players in split screen. At last in Foundation. :p Not sure if Halo had anything similar.

Really? From what I can remember, Halo 1 and Halo 2 multiplayer graphics are pretty much equivalent to single player.

Pretty sure Frankie has said the opposite before. But even then, I've always remembered the much larger worlds and environments that the SP has over MP. It seems a lot more refined.

Actually, one of the other Bungie guys says it himself in the IGN video interview.

Halo2's graphics "scale down" as you increase number of players in split screen. At last in Foundation. :p Not sure if Halo had anything similar.

Wow, really? I guess I never really noticed that. ;)

Pretty sure Frankie has said the opposite before. But even then, I've always remembered the much larger worlds and environments that the SP has over MP. It seems a lot more refined.

Actually, one of the other Bungie guys says it himself in the IGN video interview.

Well, right, SP has much larger maps, greater drawing distances, etc etc and that is to be expected, but I never really noticed the textures or anything else being scaled down in MP. Also, one of the main points that Bungie made (when talking about the MP) is that the drawing distances are so much greater in Halo 3 than in Halo 1 or 2, so I don't know how much different the SP graphics will be. But here's hoping that they're even better than the MP! :D (Y)

Wow, really? I guess I never really noticed that. ;)

An easy example of them toning extra stuff down is to take the plasma pistol in an MP game and charge it up. In SP there's a charge meter that fills up. In MP, it doesn't do that. It's small, but the little things can make a difference.

Giga's right. They have stated that they do tone some things down to reduce lag and such over XBL.

-Spenser

That's cool; grenades can be launched with the man cannon as well...

pretty much anything can be launched, grenades to vehicles to any sort of object that can be moved =)

I heard from someone that it has up to four player play (guest)..but then I've heard you can bring one guest meaning two players for split screen. I have no idea.

Please do tell.

I want to give me take from just seeing the videos and watching live streams of it. Halo 3 looks like Halo 2 (gameplay) with a much more user advanced equipment. You have your shield grenade which will make you easier or harder to kill, depending if you know how to use it well enough. You have your grav lift which is going to make a difference, easier to get out of combat and get into hidden areas. I would say if I had to say it's closer to is like Halo 2 with improvements.

Thats my 2 cents from watching videos.

Halo 3 seems to have a different style of game play from Halo 2. Halo 2 focused on dual wields, small indoor environments, and power weapons.

In Halo 3, the weapons are very balanced. The AR start is a great move. Every weapon is great (and I really mean that, needler is amazing at close range, brute and carbine are very improved as well, plasma pistol homing is toned down, etc.). Nades have a little less of a radius, so it takes more skill than luck. Halo 3 has open maps. It's easier to take down shields in 3, so cover and strategic positioning is vital (something sorely missing from halo2).

Overall, I think they made some vast improvements in game play. The main thing, IMO, is map design. Valhalla may be the best Halo map I've played.

So while there was a big transition from Halo 1 to Halo 2 in terms of dual wielding, smaller battlefields, etc- the transition from 2 to 3 is more about straight up skill, flanking, stealth, and outmaneuvering. In that sense, it is more like Halo 1. The strategies you'll need to use the equipment, the new weapons, and the new maps aren't from either game. I suggest forgetting halo 1 and 2, as halo 3 is a new style of game.

Oh yeah, the real life battlefield sounds are amazing. You can hear explosions and gunfire from the otherside of the map. You can tell Bungie focused on the details with this one. Matchmaking has a ton of improvements. You can veto the given map/game. You can select to party up with your team after the game. The new Ranks/levels are a little confusing at first, but it's cool. The recording feature is dumbed down for the beta, but it's gonna be amazing with tons of potential.

PS. Spartan Laser is freaking fun!

Halo 3 seems to have a different style of game play from Halo 2. Halo 2 focused on dual wields, small indoor environments, and power weapons.

In Halo 3, the weapons are very balanced. The AR start is a great move. Every weapon is great (and I really mean that, needler is amazing at close range, brute and carbine are very improved as well, plasma pistol homing is toned down, etc.). Nades have a little less of a radius, so it takes more skill than luck. Halo 3 has open maps. It's easier to take down shields in 3, so cover and strategic positioning is vital (something sorely missing from halo2).

Overall, I think they made some vast improvements in game play. The main thing, IMO, is map design. Valhalla may be the best Halo map I've played.

So while there was a big transition from Halo 1 to Halo 2 in terms of dual wielding, smaller battlefields, etc- the transition from 2 to 3 is more about straight up skill, flanking, stealth, and outmaneuvering. In that sense, it is more like Halo 1. The strategies you'll need to use the equipment, the new weapons, and the new maps aren't from either game. I suggest forgetting halo 1 and 2, as halo 3 is a new style of game.

Oh yeah, the real life battlefield sounds are amazing. You can hear explosions and gunfire from the otherside of the map. You can tell Bungie focused on the details with this one. Matchmaking has a ton of improvements. You can veto the given map/game. You can select to party up with your team after the game. The new Ranks/levels are a little confusing at first, but it's cool. The recording feature is dumbed down for the beta, but it's gonna be amazing with tons of potential.

PS. Spartan Laser is freaking fun!

Just to back this up, this is along the lines of what I've heard from a lot of other reviews done by people and not websites. From what I see in the videos, it just looks like a different game while keeping the halo look, and it looks like a ton of fun.

-Spenser

Halo 3 seems to have a different style of game play from Halo 2. Halo 2 focused on dual wields, small indoor environments, and power

Forgive me for prying you for more information.

Does the game play as far as the feel of the game, the engine, physics seem more inline with H2 or H1? H1 had a very heavy slow feel to the game where H2 felt more whimsical and extremely light. The term "balance" seems to have been thrown out allot, with some reviews saying that things feel more like H1, not in terms of strategy in game play, but the over all gaming experience.

I'm way to anxious on this :p

You can jump high and not have fall damage in Halo 3. Melee range is a lot shorter (realistic), stickable nades dont fly as far (frags still can get some air). I'm not sure if this is what you meant. One thing that is nice is if you die in water, your body floats down the river. If you die on an icy hill, it will slide down it. Also, when you melee people, their bodies fly and can be thrown back almost 20 feet on ice. I think that is pretty fun.

Anyone know if It's possible to play alone in the Beta? Like your own server etc.

To learn the maps, get a feel for the game without worrying about getting instagibbed.

Unfortunately you can't play a local game. You can only do match making.

As for Skirmish, there have been some interesting changes. Territories is now turn based. One is defending them, other is grabbing them. Once you get a territory, you can't lose it. Each team gets two turns on offense. Most territories taken wins. I really really like the change.

VIP is pretty fun when everyone knows whats going on. It's basically team jug, where one member on your team has overshield and is the VIP. You only get points when you kill him/her.

I have yet to play any flag game, as I've played slayer mostly.

As for Skirmish, there have been some interesting changes. Territories is now turn based. One is defending them, other is grabbing them. Once you get a territory, you can't lose it. Each team gets two turns on offense. Most territories taken wins. I really really like the change.

Wow, that sounds pretty fun.

Have you tried using the plasma pistol to stall vehicles at all? I saw it on a video and it seems like it could be fairly useful for stopping ghosts that are trying to run you down or maybe to get close to a tank to commandeer it.

Time seems to be creeping by now that we're within 24 hours of the public release. Oh yeah, for those of you who got in through the rule of three, has anyone received an email with their download key or anything? I'm guessing they won't give those out until tomorrow.

Plasma Pistol, Carbine, and Plasma Rifle are all pretty good when it comes to stopping vehicles. Nades are pretty good at tippng them (like Halo 1). Watch out though, because the warthog is a lot tougher to stop in 3, and rightfully so. They were death traps in halo 2.

Forgot to add, you can assassinate people off mongooses (mongeese?), so when they're slow and close by you, wack away.