Microsoft Starts Banning 360s on LIVE - MS Confirms

Indeed alot of people are still able to go on live with the modded firmware. It seems that its locked to the console device id and burnt game id been used. Hence the SS Patcher thats needed for the dvd-rom to play the dvd dl. Gives the burnt DL the same DVD ID.

Doesnt bother me if they ban my premium from live since I dont use the service. Making spare's of the original's shouldn't be dealt like the salem witch hunt massacre. Although things such like the DMCA in countries that chosed to have one does put a kink in what people have a say in. Also the EULA of such services.

I on the other hand burn everything to spare. Games, Tunes, Especially my Anime collection,which the originals go in a fire proof safe. Nothing like losing thounsands of dollars in a fire or robbery.

Indeed alot of people are still able to go on live with the modded firmware. It seems that its locked to the console device id and burnt game id been used. Hence the SS Patcher thats needed for the dvd-rom to play the dvd dl. Gives the burnt DL the same DVD ID.

Doesnt bother me if they ban my premium from live since I dont use the service. Making spare's of the original's shouldn't be dealt like the salem witch hunt massacre. Although things such like the DMCA in countries that chosed to have one does put a kink in what people have a say in. Also the EULA of such services.

I on the other hand burn everything to spare. Games, Tunes, Especially my Anime collection,which the originals go in a fire proof safe. Nothing like losing thounsands of dollars in a fire or robbery.

Yeah, I always make backups of all of my optical media. Shoot even at work we don't use original software discs because people damage them. It's much harder to convince a company to send us a free replacement disc than it is to just burn another copy. Things need to move away from insecure optical media.

Lt.

Yeah, I always make backups of all of my optical media. Shoot even at work we don't use original software discs because people damage them. It's much harder to convince a company to send us a free replacement disc than it is to just burn another copy. Things need to move away from insecure optical media.

Lt.

We do the same at work also Lt. I work in the IT Dept. We've been burnt before by pass employees or simply been careless with the media. So now Everything orginal,licensed get put in the safe after an image has been made of the media. Then we just reburn when that one gets too damaged.

So are they banning just ppl who used copied discs online and/or just the modded drive firmware and still use real cds to play online?...

It looks like it justs people that are playing with the copied discs so far. Do remember Microsoft has been info hunting on the connected live consoles for the past few weeks. So people that knew of this could of had them turned off or simply playing with the ethernet unplugged to using their original firmwares and games for the time.

Edited by Malbojia

There's still lots of people not banned with modified consoles...

I remember you had crackdown a few hours after it leaked....your posts become more obvious with each one :p

I've figured for a while you had a modded console. Sucks, but you'll be back up and running in no time.

Haha, how did you know?

Yeah, I've always talked about it openly here on neowin... I didn't have my gamer tag listed in my sig because we're surrounded by MS employees, and I was paranoid.

This just sucks that it had to happen when the Halo 3 Beta is out. I'm missing so much gameplay. I'll be back soon...

I feel bad for the people that did this. Sure, a lot of them are pirates, but I dare say a lot of them are just concerned about damaging their original's. My friend bought Guitar Hero II and is having trouble playing it now, his 360 just wont read the disk any more (and the disk itself is spotless, bar a single, teeny, tiny scratch). I've heard all sorts of horror stories about 360's scratching disks and this would have been one way to keep them safe.

Oh well, maybe I'll pick up a cheap 360 on ebay, one that's been locked out of Live and wait for a fix ;D

There is no homebrew for the 360,

As a matter of fact, there is, except it's all perfectly legal and Microsoft encourages it. It's called XNA =)

Haha, how did you know?

Yeah, I've always talked about it openly here on neowin... I didn't have my gamer tag listed in my sig because we're surrounded by MS employees, and I was paranoid.

This just sucks that it had to happen when the Halo 3 Beta is out. I'm missing so much gameplay. I'll be back soon...

You, laz and the dude with the fable 2 signature just hint and hint about it all the time. We'll play when you get back online

Bill Gates is richest man M$ is the richest company, they ignores piracy to help increase the installed base just like Windows and dominate the martket

awakening.. oh God my thoughts was wrong videogame industry is not the same as PC.

Bill Gates is richest man M$ is the richest company, they ignores piracy to help increase the installed base just like Windows and dominate the martket

awakening.. oh God my thoughts was wrong videogame industry is not the same as PC.

Applefanboy, have you bought your ps3 yet?

You really need to work on your grammar. There /= Their. "in inferior" should be "how inferior" :laugh:

You also meant "what they cannot afford."

Good job Microsoft. I can't stand cheaters!!!

Cheaters? ha never have i found someone with a backed up copy of a game to have any impact on their abilities to play. That's just how M$ is justifying it all...and sadly..you believe it as do a lot of others.

No see they let piracy go for a little while to inflate numbers. Then they crack down on it to "protect" users.

Lt.

Cheaters? ha never have i found someone with a backed up copy of a game to have any impact on their abilities to play. That's just how M$ is justifying it all...and sadly..you believe it as do a lot of others.

No see they let piracy go for a little while to inflate numbers. Then they crack down on it to "protect" users.

Lt.

Really? Thats why whenever I used to play halo 2 people would walk though walls and magically appear all over the place. Funny since GoW runs just fine with no lag at all.

Really? Thats why whenever I used to play halo 2 people would walk though walls and magically appear all over the place. Funny since GoW runs just fine with no lag at all.

Hacks are only for the original Xbox. There's no public and not even private hacks for Xbox 360 games........

You, laz and the dude with the fable 2 signature just hint and hint about it all the time. We'll play when you get back online

LOL, yes we did.

Good job Microsoft. I can't stand cheaters!!!

I think some people are misinformed... This was basically to stop piracy and get people with modded 360's to buy 360 games.

Using the firmware mod to actually cheat was VERY VERY rare, and usually done in Halo 2.

Following what laz45 said....One word for you....hyperviser

Lt.

I think this hurts MS' bottom line more than the pirates. First of all, there are the pirates who don't play online or purchase ANYTHING from the Live Marketplace anyways so the ban really doesn't affect them at all. Then there are the pirates who purchase Live subscriptions and content from the Marketplace whom are now no longer cusotmers, which means instead of getting at least some money from them, MS now makes none. Also add in the fact that it'll also now be more troublesome to purchase used consoles, as some of you have already mentioned.

And at the end of the day, pirates are STILL able to download games and STILL able to play them for free albeit offline.

Jesus. That "friend" of mine. He got banned and his solution.... "I'm going to Wal-Mart and buying another one and returning this one." What a ******, I swear.

Jesus. That "friend" of mine. He got banned and his solution.... "I'm going to Wal-Mart and buying another one and returning this one." What a ******, I swear.

LOLL, I was actually deeply considering doing that. But no, thats wrong.

HAHA! Oh well, buy your games.

Half of the people on my friends list is offline, lmao.

I'm in the Dark as well...

Although I've made a cool picture to commemorate this day..

(yes both of these are my tv, and YES my tv is on the front page of xbox-scene.com, hehe)

zomgwb8.jpg