Leaked: Windows Live Messenger 8.5

Windows Live Mail actually looks quite good. Damn how is it over Outlook Express and Thunderbird (for usability, performance and organization using POP3 as well as Hotmail?) Anyone can give a short opinion/review?

Does the Public Beta overwrite Messenger 8.1 or does it install itself alongside it?

The Beta uninstalls 8.1 and installs to a different directory.

The Beta uninstalls 8.1 and installs to a different directory.

Yup.

But just rename your current MSN Messenger folder and you're able to have both versions installed at the same time.

Sorry like to ask, is Windows Live Messenger 8.5 officially release to download? as in the beta too.

Like to know where I can get it to try.

It refuses to install for me, just says loading and the windows just disappears.

it did the samething for me, i had to install the spanish version, and just over write the msglang

did u guys do the fix prior installing the new beta? u have to delete windowsliveinstaller&WLinstaller folders locate in C:\ProgramData (u have to enable hidden folders) that location is for those who use vista, for XP u have to look in documents&settings/your username/applicationdata and in documents&settings/all users/applicationdata (remember enable hiden folders)

Windows Live Mail is 100% better than Outlook Express!

I would agree if mine wasn't just a black screen when it loads up :laugh:

yeah the beta's public now so no more need for spanish versions unless of course your spanish

Edited by lonelycooler

I notice the timestamp is now on the left, before the nick. It used to be on the right after the nick right?

How do I go about getting rid of the "File, Edit, Actions, Tools, Help" menu bar? I did something last night to make it appear and I don't know how to turn it off.

Windows Live Mail is actually pretty nice, it's a lot better than Windows Mail (imo). I've actually set it as my default mail client over Outlook, we'll see how it goes. The layout is nice, integration with messenger is nice. As is the integration with blogs (although I won't use that aspect). Pretty nice.

I agree. WLM is what Windows Mail should've been.

The UI has taken a great step forward compared to how it looked like last year.

The remaining fit and finish nitpicking comes from this. Vista icons in the interface are more than welcome, but not when mixed with bits from the past:

post-99705-1180902211_thumb.png

WLM is ok, does the job and it'll be my default client. There is one thing that annoys me (petty I know) but the shadow on the window without the frame on Vista has a crappy shadow. Should've implemented a proper shadow.

Agreed. Don't know why MS didn't get rid of those XP-style shadows for Vista's menus.

Under Vista, the top panel should have the same Aero Glass treatment as WLM. If you look closely, WLM's toolbar has Aero Glass when the menu is hidden.

The default instant messenger headings look like ass, IMO. If you use the latest Mess Patch, they can look like this:

post-99705-1180902052_thumb.png

Two questions.

I notice there are always three files in the folder that my installaion .exe was in when I installed MSN 8.5:

- lcapi0.log

- MsnMsgr.text

- Transport0.log

I have tried to use HiJackTool to delete it on reboot. But when I do that, MSN will reconfigure itself and the three files appears again.

Second question, how to remove the Sharing Folder? I used

regsvr32 -u -s "C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\fsshext.8.5.1235.0517.dll"

but it won't work.

Please advice.

just go to tools,options,advanced settings, uncheck conecction loggin...log out of WLM, login and u can delete them

Got that! thanks:))

now is for the removing of Sharing Folder.