Leaked: Windows Live Messenger 8.5

hmm I moved back to 8.0, I will wait for a full non bug patch and official release.

hmm I moved back to 8.0, I will wait for a full non bug patch and official release.

Yeah it signed me out earlier and couldn't get back in tho Pidgin did...weird

I wouldn't be surprised if everyone using the leaked build gets logged out of the messenger servers very shortly. It's pretty easy for MS to check registered beta testers against the version number you know...

I wouldn't be surprised if everyone using the leaked build gets logged out of the messenger servers very shortly. It's pretty easy for MS to check registered beta testers against the version number you know...

On the contrary, I would be extremely surprised if they do. The beta gives good feedback about the stability of the product and people's comments help in enhancing the product.

Which is what the public beta will be for. In the closed beta, they need more focussed testing on specific areas, with proper test scenarios.

I haven't tried, but with the "leaked" Messenger earlier, I need to set the compatibility of the exe to Windows XP in order to get it installed in my Vista

It took me a while to realize that the folder structure has changed. Had to modify my Vista IPSec rules. I use the outgoing firewall in Vista.

netsh advfirewall firewall delete rule name="Live Messenger - InComing"

netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="Live Messenger - InComing" dir=in action=allow program="%ProgramFiles%\Windows Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe" profile=public

netsh advfirewall firewall delete rule name="Live Messenger - OutGoing"

netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="Live Messenger - OutGoing" dir=out program="%ProgramFiles%\Windows Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe" protocol=TCP remoteport=80,443,1863 action=allow profile=public

netsh advfirewall firewall delete rule name="Live Messenger - OutGoing (UDP)"

netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="Live Messenger - OutGoing (UDP)" dir=out program="%ProgramFiles%\Windows Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe" protocol=UDP remoteport=80,443,1863,7001 action=allow profile=public

From Microsoft Connect (I got accepted in the Messenger, Mail & Writer beta program)

Common setup issues for Messenger 8.5, Mail, and Writer betas

-Windows may sometimes report that the Windows Live setup service has crashed. It is safe to cancel the installation in the user interface, and try installing again.

-If an installation is canceled while it is in-progress, the installer may, under some circumstances, continue to run to completion.

-If Messenger 8.5, Mail, and Writer betas are all uninstalled, a “Windows Live\Installer” folder will remain in the Program Files folder, and an empty “Windows Live” folder will appear on the Start Menu.

-If you install any combination of the Messenger 8.5, Mail, or Writer betas on one computer, each beta must be the same language version. If you try to install one of these betas in a different language, the installation will fail.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Windows Live Messenger

When a Windows Vista user offers assistance to a Windows XP user from within Windows Live Messenger, the action will fail. Requests from Windows XP users to Windows Vista users should succeed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Windows Live Writer

Custom WordPress installations have inconsistent support for non-UTF-8 encoding, related to PHP version.

Symptoms: Custom WordPress installations allow the blog encoding to be set to non-UTF-8. Publishing using the web-form for this blog will work as expected. Attempting to publish with Windows Live Writer with the non-UTF-8 encoding option selected, will cause an error. The error message will be:

Blog Server Error

Server Error - 32700 Occurred

parse error, not well formed

No workaround is available at this time.

http://g.live.com/1rebeta/WLMsgr85_en-us

also came across this link, not sure if it has been posted already, but the one a couple of posts above me both direct me to windows mail...

and a-patch for 8.5 beta:

http://www.apatch.org/files/downloads/A-Pa...40rc1b1_WLM.zip

Both tested an works!

Edited by AgonitE

Doesn't install here.

I double click on the installation icon, it starts, I click agree, it pops up saying it's getting my PC ready, and then it disappears and nothing happens. Having had a look in program files, I can see the windows Live\Installer folder is created, but nothing else happens.

I'm tried the US and UK versions from the links here, and from the links from MS (I'm in the beta). The spanish version of messenger worked fine before, so how come these aren't even installing (yes I uninstalled anything to do with WLM beforehand, and yes I know its in beta so I should expect issues).

Sorry for the double post, but I can't edit the one above.

Anyway, I've sorted the issue. If you have the same problem, just follow these steps from Liveside

If you are having problems installing Writer, Messenger 8.5 or Mail, in particular if the the Windows Live installer disappearing halfway through (after a Windows Vista UAC prompt if enabled), this may help.

1. Close all Windows Live applications

2. Navigate to C:\Program Files\Windows Live and delete the Installer folder

3. Navigate to C:\ProgramData and delete both Windows Live Installer and WLInstaller directories if you have them.

4. Reboot (important!)

5. Reinstall the application you want to install

This may be an issue if you installed the leak Messenger build, as all Windows Live beta applications need to be the same language. See the Windows Live Installer FAQs for more details.

PS: If someone can tell me what the equivalent for step 3 is in Windows XP that'd be great :)

Update: Apparently step 3 for XP is to go to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data instead of C:\ProgramData. (Thanks to DN2004 for the heads up)

Sorry for the double post, but I can't edit the one above.

Anyway, I've sorted the issue. If you have the same problem, just follow these steps from Liveside

I've tried those steps and cleaning registry and everything yet for some reason I can't install this. After hitting the accept button I then get this:

errorkk9.jpg

I've already tried 5 times and always the same message pops up. I can't figure out why it keeps happening. Then again it is a beta...

Windows Live Mail is actually pretty nice, it's a lot better than Windows Mail (imo). I've actually set it as my default mail client over Outlook, we'll see how it goes. The layout is nice, integration with messenger is nice. As is the integration with blogs (although I won't use that aspect). Pretty nice.

WLM is ok, does the job and it'll be my default client. There is one thing that annoys me (petty I know) but the shadow on the window without the frame on Vista has a crappy shadow. Should've implemented a proper shadow.

post-2629-1180726579_thumb.png

Just a shot of WL Mail:

post-2629-1180726976_thumb.png

Not bad...