Leaked: Windows Live Messenger 8.5

I've got this. It's not bad, but what was wrong with the old Live layout? And I don't see really any new features. A couple old features were moved around a bit. That's it.

And obviously the avatar border is totally unnecesary.

Think I'll switch back. I do hope they change the UI before release. This really seems like a step back toward MSN Messenger to me...

Whoever said it's WPF based is wrong. It isn't.

That would be a big change, maybe Messenger 9 will be WPF based. But that is one of those modifications that don't happen between minor versions, like 8.1->8.5.

I guess the point of this new version is to create some consistency between windows live apps. This new UI is pretty similar to Windows Live Mail Desktop or whatever that is called now.

That would be a big change, maybe Messenger 9 will be WPF based. But that is one of those modifications that don't happen between minor versions, like 8.1->8.5.

I guess the point of this new version is to create some consistency between windows live apps. This new UI is pretty similar to Windows Live Mail Desktop or whatever that is called now.

The new version will be called Windows Live Mail.

Yeah I like that idea :D

The preview images stuff has been in some alpha/beta builds and I wasn't expecting Ahmad to impliment it so soon but glad he did (Y)

Date: May 29, 2007 6:19 PM

Subject: You are invited to the Windows Live Beta!

Greeting from the Windows Live Team!

The Windows Live Team invites you to be an extension of our development process by giving us feedback on our software before the rest of the world sees it. You will be helping us ensure that we deliver a great experience to all that try Windows Live. As a Windows Live beta tester you will have an opportunity to try out multiple Windows Live products as part of a single beta program! As always, this beta program will contain all of the great components you've come to expect from a Windows Live beta. Including the ability to file bugs, participate in private newsgroups and chats directly with the product engineers.

To nominate yourself for this beta program, follow these easy instructions:

1. Use your Internet connection to visit the Microsoft Connect Web site (http://connect.microsoft.com)

2. Click Invitations on the Connect menu

3. You will need to sign in using a valid Windows Live ID before you can continue to the Invitations page

4. Enter your Invitation ID in the box.

Your invitation ID is: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

5. Click Go.

6. If you have not previously registered with Microsoft Connect, you might be required to register before you continue with the invitation process.

7. Fill out the nomination survey.

To report a problem or to ask a question, visit the Contact Us page (linked to at the bottom of every Microsoft Connect page).

More about Windows Live

Windows LiveT is a new set of services that brings your online world together. With the new shared installer you can download three great products in one easy package.

? Windows Live Messenger

This version gives everything you already love about Messenger-your contact list, emoticons, instant access to your friends-plus an updated look.

? Windows Live Mail

Ever use Outlook Express? Windows Live Mail offers similar features, plus some great new ones-like free access to Windows Live Hotmail and all your other e-mail accounts, and integration with other Windows Live services.

? Windows Live Writer

Windows Live Writer is a desktop application that makes it easy to publish rich content to your blog.

Thank-you for your interest, and we look forward to hearing from you!

The Windows Live Team

Can anyone in this world get design right? It should look the same as the rest of Vista if it's on Vista, and something more XP-like for XP (but not just plain XP because it's boring and ugly). Apple is finally starting to unify their UI, and Microsoft goes and makes every application look completely different.

It's driving me nutz0rz!

They can't even get a consistant UI in thier OS'es. How do you figure that can do it with individual apps? Me thinks Microsoft should follow thier own UI design guidelines.

<snip>

So i guess the next question is have they put anything up yet? i guess not because whatever they would have put up would already be leaked everywhere thus answering my question. :lol:

nothing has beenr eleased yet, they just gathering beta testers so i would say give it 2 weeks and maybe a new build will be out

It was good until it crashed on me 5 minutes ago. And when this baby crashes, boy does it crash. Task manager wont let me end the process. So I cant close the programme in anyway unless I restart.

It was good until it crashed on me 5 minutes ago. And when this baby crashes, boy does it crash. Task manager wont let me end the process. So I cant close the programme in anyway unless I restart.

Again, can't stress enough the risks of using beta/alpha/test versions. The beta is due to start soon by the looks of things so roll on that (Y)

Quick question:

Am I the only one who patches it with A-Patch, but when tries to maximize the window, can't?

When its not patched, it works great, but as soon as I patch it, I cannot seem to be able to maximize the window (or to see the Messenger window for that matter). I can see the tray icon, but not the window itself.

any one else having the problem with the sharing folder crashing messenger? Not that I ever used it but I tried and it just crashes.

Same here, buddy.

At least I can access it manually (in C drive), add files there and actually re-sync with my friend :) So I'm still happy so far

Quick question:

Am I the only one who patches it with A-Patch, but when tries to maximize the window, can't?

When its not patched, it works great, but as soon as I patch it, I cannot seem to be able to maximize the window (or to see the Messenger window for that matter). I can see the tray icon, but not the window itself.

You must have used a-patch after you patched it with the English file ... try uninstalling it and then re-installing it, and right after the re-install run the patch. Should work. This happened to me too.

Quick question:

i dont have problem so far.....

Can I do a side by side install. Install the current verion and also install this beta product?

I don't think this is possible.