Apple Safari to be released for the Windows Platform!

Like I've said, they've had how many years to fix QT and they never did.

True.

It'll be interesting to find out if one day MS decides to release Internet Explorer 7 and Windows Media Player 11 for OS X. How will they fare in the porting efforts? So far their Office suites for Mac have been quite good.

edit: 3K!

The Safari codebase has a lot of Core2 Duo optimizations, so if you have that processor, you'll probably see the greatest benefit. If you have another SSE2 processor (P4 / Athlon64), you should see much of benefit, but Core Duo users will see the most.

Safari will be slower if you have an older Athlon or P3 without support for SSE2.

no windows mail live support (only classic), it dont work with new yahoo mail neither, its a miracle that it loads gmail. it seems that safari still have problems with ajax or any new tech, i dont find it faster than opera but its better than ie7 in speed aspects

Ok after using Safari on windows and mac i like it better on mac. It seems totaly and purely wrong to have safari on windows!

It looks ugly!

Next Safari3 on mac BROKE the Wordpress editor

It appears the editor support in Safari is a little buggy or it?€™s wordpress, but im going with safari as it was working fine in 2.0!!!!

Reminds me of this - http://tv.truenuff.com/mac/os.php

IE7 is faster than this!!!

@Gaius

Bangbang is right though. Apple are notorious for not fixing things in their Window applications, Quicktime being a great example. What's going to change? They want people to move to their platform away from Windows remember?

Again, you can't compare it to Quicktime. It's a media player that barely plays anything being compared to a BROWSER, something that is universally used. If Apple wants more of the market share like it says, then they would be wasting a lot of time and money by putting out something that is ALWAYS going to be inferior to a platform's native browsers. People use browsers ALL THE TIME and they will never ever pick a browser that won't run well on their OS. How can you possibly think that the stability of a new cross platform browser will always be like that of a cross platform media player?

I think it is a great solution to all those Mac Emulators out there. I mean the Safari.

Realize that it is a beta people. Beta 1, to be exact.

Personally, I think it's cool.

EDIT: QuickTime prevents you from having to wait for iTunes to load just to play a music file you do not want to load into your iTunes librry yet. :)

Wow! this is like the alien spawn child of inbred brothers. this should not have happened. I really wish i never installed this. it's the worst ever. and i like apple. :x

You call me stubborn, yet you're the one coming back at me.

1. Quicktime hasn't improved to my personal standards. Catch your breath and move on to number 2.

2. Quicktime and iTunes both disappointed me with their performance in Windows. They behave like ports and that's not a compliment. The UI is always less responsive/slower than native Windows apps and Apple has never shown any real desire to change that. It doesn't matter how often an app is open. It's not about stability. It's about performance. The UI is slow and clunky. Safari didn't crash on me. Quicktime never crashed on me. iTunes never crashed on me. They simply didn't perform well.

3. Simple marketing lingo or not, he should have left IE (a browser I don't even use) out of his statements and said what makes Safari so great and how it will improve the browsing habits of Windows users. He came out, said it's here, threw up a bunch of meaningless and inaccurate benchmarks and said the beta is up for download.

The fact of the matter is, it's a disappointing release. I was expecting something that would at least convince me to not uninstall it for a while. It couldn't even do that. You can play the "this is a first release" card all you want, but it's pointless. This is software from a big company that had no immediate need to rush it out. Not only did they rush it out, they made the initial comparisons and opened the flood gates to everything people like me are saying.

In the end, if they want to succeed on Windows with Safari, they need the application to behave like every other Windows application does. Average users don't care about javascript execution times. If the app is slow to open, doesn't render webpages as expected, and doesn't behave like an application in the Windows environment is expected to, then people aren't going to feel comfortable using it. I've used all 3 of the main browsers (IE, FX, and Opera). No version of any of these three ever made me turn away instantly. It was always a case of the application simply not being what I wanted feature wise. Safari simply didn't perform to meet my basic expectations. It was never even a question about features or bugs.

The fact of the matter is, I've made points and provided examples to back up my opinions. The only thing you keep spouting is that it's an early release. You can keep saying I'm wrong and it's an early release all you want, but I'm not the only person unsatisfied and you sure as hell won't change that. When you're a company like Apple, people expect quality. This is a sloppy beta and it should have been kept behind closed doors.

All this effort porting their programs for Windows when they could have allowed the OS to be installed easily on beige-boxes (with a partnership with key manufacturers such as nVidia and ATI to make sure drivers are nice) and they'll have the Safari marketshare up.. alot!

Running it on my XP MCE 05 desktop right now works good. I have no errors, page rendering is fast, the font rendering will take some getting used to but I like it. Gmail works, Neowin works, pretty much the entire interweb works for me at the moment.

I don't like the look of it, the grey interface seems ugly and distracting.

I did a Mac theme to go with Safari. Looks good then.

This is how the Neowin main page looks in Safari for me:

post-1302-1181601206_thumb.png

Note how the article headers are missing. It seems as if all <h*> tags are not rendering properly.

Second problem: Bookmarks. Any attempt to create a bookmark or to import bookmarks from Firefox results in a crash. Note how also the default bookmarks (Apple, eBay, Amazon etc) are missing.

If anybody has a solution to these problems I would be really, really greatful.

i like it, although i wish it A) matched vista B) used the min and max effects that IE uses (areo stuff)

how do i open a new tab? is there any button?

Tried it for a while but doesn't work right for me. It won't load my exchange web access account and I can't access my banking website. That alone made me lose interest until they fix some of the bugs..

2. Quicktime and iTunes both disappointed me with their performance in Windows. They behave like ports and that's not a compliment. The UI is always less responsive/slower than native Windows apps and Apple has never shown any real desire to change that. It doesn't matter how often an app is open. It's not about stability. It's about performance. The UI is slow and clunky. Safari didn't crash on me. Quicktime never crashed on me. iTunes never crashed on me. They simply didn't perform well.

Amen to that.

And this is how safari is looking for me in vista. I love how the menus are completely blank. Feels more like alpha than beta

post-53967-1181601914_thumb.jpg

This is how the Neowin main page looks in Safari for me:

Note how the article headers are missing. It seems as if all <h*> tags are not rendering properly.

Second problem: Bookmarks. Any attempt to create a bookmark or to import bookmarks from Firefox results in a crash. Note how also the default bookmarks (Apple, eBay, Amazon etc) are missing.

If anybody has a solution to these problems I would be really, really greatful.

What system are you running under? I haven't had any problems like this at all. Running under Vista.