Bioshock General Discussion ( Xbox 360 )

System Shock 2 is one of my favourite games.. Loved playing it. Never played SS1 though.. Could never find it.

For those saying it's not an RPG: I want whatever you're smoking :woot:

It's more Oblivion than it is Halo, if you guys want a comparison. No, I haven't played it, but I've been following this game since it featured giant centipedes as enemies, so there ya go. There isn't a tidbit of info on it I haven't caught.

Also, here are more reviews.

edit:

More little tidbits:

- previews haven't even scratched the surface of what you can expect

- rushing through the game will get you a good 11-12 hours of playtime; if you do everything you can expect to finish at around 30 hours

- second highest ever rating from PC Gamer UK, missing Half Life 2's score by just 1%

Quotes!

(from OXM):

..BioShock is a novel compressed into a first-person shooter. It manages to be both a tricky, exciting action game, a fascinating creation of an enclosed world and a deep enquiry about what it means to be human - a trick most action movies and books fail to achieve. It also plays with you at every stage, confounding your expectations and your control over events repeatedly, from your control over your weapons, Plasmids, plot, self...

And this is where we have to stop ourselves - we don't want to spoilt it. What we can tell you is you'll be playing this game for months to come, exchanging story elements to build up the bigger picture, and arguing about what it all means. Come, join the argument, play the impossible game.

(from PCG UK):

These are the big challenges developers have been struggling to master for decades; narrative, emergence, a sense of place. If another game did just one of these as well as Bioshock, it would immediately qualify as a classic. When a game comes along that does all three, we can only be baffled and thankful. I spend my career, and my gaming life, waiting for a moment when a game just astonishes me, when I can't believe what I'm seeing, what I'm doing. Bioshock has five.

Hey, guys... repeat after me: "Gee Oh Tee Why."

Edited by ragn4rokk 2.0

Not to sound like a party pooper, but I never trust first reviews.

Still looking forward to it, though :)

For those saying it's not an RPG: I want whatever you're smoking :woot:

It's more Oblivion than it is Halo, if you guys want a comparison. No, I haven't played it, but I've been following this game since it featured giant centipedes as enemies, so there ya go. There isn't a tidbit of info on it I haven't caught.

Also, here are more reviews.

edit:

More little tidbits:

- previews haven't even scratched the surface of what you can expect

- rushing through the game will get you a good 11-12 hours of playtime; if you do everything you can expect to finish at around 30 hours

- second highest ever rating from PC Gamer UK, missing Half Life 2's score by just 1%

Quotes!

(from OXM):

(from PCG UK):

Hey, guys... repeat after me: "Gee Oh Tee Why."

Ken Levine himself has said that it's not an RPG... it's just an evolution of the FPS genre. It may have some RPG elements, but that doesn't necessarily make it an RPG.

The best genre to describe this game is probably just Shooter.

You can call it a thinking man's shooter, an RPG'ish shooter, but it's a shooter. A kill-most-of-the-moving-stuff-you-come-across shooter.

Not to sound like a party pooper, but I never trust first reviews.

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/...ock%202#critics

Now Bioshock is the spiritual sequel to the game above.

Go figure.

A kill-most-of-the-moving-stuff-you-come-across shooter.

It's a hybrid, you can't call it a shooter because if you run in like rambo and hit a big daddy you'll end up dead without some thought on how to kill him.

EA is the publisher, not the developer. Big difference.

Negative.

Take 2 is. :p

They jumped ship from EA because they wanted a basic stupid shooter, they said no. So they wouldn't give the funding but Take 2 would.

I'm well aware :) Deus Ex was a sequel to one of the best games of all times, but it wasn't all that great IMO, and earlier reviews were fairly high on it.

Enlightenment is the key to success. :p

Negative.

Take 2 is. :p

They jumped ship from EA because they wanted a basic stupid shooter, they said no. So they wouldn't give the funding but Take 2 would.

Ah, yes, caught that before my edit. :p

You sure about the Big Daddy thing? How about I just Quake him?

If it's anything like SS2 you won't Quake anything but rather carefully choose where to spend your scarce ammo.

If this game was 3rd person or had a togglable 3rd person mode, I would almost certainly play it.

Why does the camera position matter?

One question, that n3urotic reminded me of. Is this somewhat of a "scary" game? I got that vibe from very early previews and the game basically fell off my radar quite a bit since then. As sad as it is, I can't really get into horror games because once I do get into them I just get way too spooked out to get a lot of playing time out of the more scary games, lol.

After reading some of the quotes from reviews, I'm a little more intrigued - especially with the RPG elements of the game and its storyline. I just don't want to buy a game that I won't finish because I don't like to get spooked out.

It's funny, though. I rarely even flinch when watching any horror movie, but I guess the interaction of video games just puts me over the edge.

One question, that n3urotic reminded me of. Is this somewhat of a "scary" game? I got that vibe from very early previews and the game basically fell off my radar quite a bit since then. As sad as it is, I can't really get into horror games because once I do get into them I just get way too spooked out to get a lot of playing time out of the more scary games, lol.

After reading some of the quotes from reviews, I'm a little more intrigued - especially with the RPG elements of the game and its storyline. I just don't want to buy a game that I won't finish because I don't like to get spooked out.

It's funny, though. I rarely even flinch when watching any horror movie, but I guess the interaction of video games just puts me over the edge.

From what I've seen, it's more of a creepy game than a scary one. Kind of like "The Darkness" or "Dead Rising".

Is this somewhat of a "scary" game?

Somewhat, quite probably, but not because of an actual "scary" story. It's not a kill-everything-that-moves game, so there should be lots of times where you'll be like "oh crap I think I've heard something".

At least that's what I expect it to be, considering it's kind of a "we wanted to make System Shock 3 but there was no way to get the license".

BTW it took me about a year to finish SS2. Graphics were average at best, but the sound was so well done that it alone was enough to gave me the creeps.

Edited by ichi

Aye, those eggs in SS2 which had worms which implanted in to people creating zombies scared the **** out of me. Could hear em coming. I already had a fobia of things jumping on me from playing Duke 3D when I was 11 and those green slimes jumped on me. Nearly gave up completing the level. :(