[Official] Doctor Who Thread

A bit from the article: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-61371123

_124639028_gettyimages-1385052638.jpg

Actor Ncuti Gatwa will take over from Jodie Whittaker as the star of Doctor Who, the BBC has announced.

The 29-year-old will become the 14th Time Lord on the popular science fiction show, and the first non-white performer to play the lead role.

Scottish actor Gatwa, who was born in Rwanda, is best known for starring in Netflix's sitcom Sex Education.

He said he was "deeply honoured, beyond excited and of course a little bit scared" by his new role.

He added: "This role and show means so much to so many around the world, including myself, and each one of my incredibly talented predecessors has handled that unique responsibility and privilege with the utmost care.

"I will endeavour my upmost to do the same."

Gatwa will make his debut as the Time Lord in 2023.

I gave up on Doctor Who long ago.   I had dropped out back before they made the character female for the first time.  And no, it wasn't because of that, I just lost interest in it's type of scifi and stories.  

On 08/05/2022 at 14:20, Steven P. said:

A bit from the article: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-61371123

_124639028_gettyimages-1385052638.jpg

Actor Ncuti Gatwa will take over from Jodie Whittaker as the star of Doctor Who, the BBC has announced.

The 29-year-old will become the 14th Time Lord on the popular science fiction show, and the first non-white performer to play the lead role.

Scottish actor Gatwa, who was born in Rwanda, is best known for starring in Netflix's sitcom Sex Education.

He said he was "deeply honoured, beyond excited and of course a little bit scared" by his new role.

He added: "This role and show means so much to so many around the world, including myself, and each one of my incredibly talented predecessors has handled that unique responsibility and privilege with the utmost care.

"I will endeavour my upmost to do the same."

Gatwa will make his debut as the Time Lord in 2023.

I've never seen this actor's work before so I have no idea as to his "chops" as an actor, but I was hoping we'd get someone a little older... Honestly, he looks like he's still in Uni...

Anyway, I only really have 2 asks of RTD or I won't be bothering with Who anymore...

1.  Retcon the entire Timeless Child nonsense.

2.  Please no more romance subplots, especially towards the Doctor...  Just... stop it.

• Like 2

I don't really mind that he hasn't done a lot... Honestly, relatively unknown actors tend to do fairly well in Who, I just think he looks too young for the role...  I like my Who actors to have some gravitas.

• Like 1

On 09/05/2022 at 06:31, FloatingFatMan said:

I don't really mind that he hasn't done a lot... Honestly, relatively unknown actors tend to do fairly well in Who, I just think he looks too young for the role...  I like my Who actors to have some gravitas.

I agree I it adds to the presence of the Doctor if he looks like he has had a lot of experience and has seen things, that is why older actors tend to make a better doctor.

The new one does look like he has just finished UNI, but I  will wait and see how it works out.

On 08/05/2022 at 09:02, George P said:

I gave up on Doctor Who long ago.   I had dropped out back before they made the character female for the first time.  And no, it wasn't because of that, I just lost interest in it's type of scifi and stories.  

may be worth checking out at least. Russell T Davies is returning as the writer/producer; he's the one that originally handled the reboot with Eccleston and Tennant

On 09/05/2022 at 09:27, Brandon H said:

may be worth checking out at least. Russell T Davies is returning as the writer/producer; he's the one that originally handled the reboot with Eccleston and Tennant

I'm excited about Davies return personally!

Edited by margrave
  • Like 3

On 09/05/2022 at 08:49, margrave said:

I'm excite about Davies return personally!

agreed; Tennant is still my favorite doctor and that's largely thanks to how Davies' handled things.

I can't see what they're up to with David and Catherine

Martha was my personal favorite of David's companions but there's just something about the DoctorDonna

While I loved Tennant's doctor, this is exactly why I dislike so much modern Who.  Churning up old Doctors, bringing them back, yawn!  I mean, I'll love it, but it's back to the constant fan-service in place of decent writing.

On 16/05/2022 at 11:52, Dick Montage said:

While I loved Tennant's doctor, this is exactly why I dislike so much modern Who.  Churning up old Doctors, bringing them back, yawn!  I mean, I'll love it, but it's back to the constant fan-service in place of decent writing.

Russel T Davies is the writer/producer that got things popular again so I'll save judgement until I see what their planning. Maybe it's another special with multiple doctors. I loved when they did that with David and Matt.

On 16/05/2022 at 10:57, margrave said:

Maybe flashbacks....

It's a show about time travel. They could do an entire season with Tennant if they wanted and keep it all in place.

On 16/05/2022 at 19:00, Brandon H said:

Russel T Davies is the writer/producer that got things popular again

He absolutely is.  He is absolutely also the guy who kept doing the above, alongside other terrible tropes (everything suggested to be bigger than last season, promise the world ending big bad, ends up being not the case).

New companion has been announced. Looks like we have a new Rose. Not many details other than she will be played by Yasmin Finney.

Rumor is she's the daughter to Donna Noble. Another rumor is she will be a Rose Tyler from another alt universe but that one seems less likely to me.

https://www.doctorwho.tv/news-and-features/yasmin-finney-joins-doctor-who-cast

rose-instagramfacebook-c.jpg

On 16/05/2022 at 20:16, Brandon H said:

New companion has been announced. Looks like we have a new Rose. Not many details other than she will be played by Yasmin Finney.

Rumor is she's the daughter to Donna Noble. Another rumor is she will be a Rose Tyler from another alt universe but that one seems less likely to me.

https://www.doctorwho.tv/news-and-features/yasmin-finney-joins-doctor-who-cast

rose-instagramfacebook-c.jpg

That looks nothing like Rose! Her teeth are nowhere NEAR big enough! ;)

• Haha 3

On 09/05/2022 at 06:10, TheReaperMan said:

I agree I it adds to the presence of the Doctor if he looks like he has had a lot of experience and has seen things, that is why older actors tend to make a better doctor.   

Wasn't Matt Smith the youngest Doctor in the show?  I thought he was fantastic!

Doctor Who for me has always been 50% about the actors, and 50% about the story.  The first season of Matt Smith era - while more on the fantasy side of things vs the science - was magical.  They had great stories, and Matt was completely endearing.

I've seen Sex Education and think that Ncuti has great promise.    Also Russell being back is very promising too.  I'd really recommend that show, it's really quite good.